Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Help me understand!  (Read 1198 times)

Offline carmaneric

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XC
Help me understand!
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Ok so you guys did a great job of talking me out of a Wally World Mongoose. I did allot of research online and found much the same. Here is my problem. I weigh between 225 and 230 and any given time. I'mm 44 and am trying to get back into shape and need something that will be a little easier of the old joints. I rode my Huffy hardtail with my bud at Boyette and loved every minute of it. My butt was killing me for the next week for riding for 4 hours. I really want a full suspension with disk brakes that isn't gonna break my wallet. Was looking at aj's site and saw the least expensive is the 09 Giant Yukon FX on sale for $875. and they have some kind of 6 month no interest. So that is probably doable once the wife is convinced that I need a new bike. I read allot of people ragging on the Giant. Is that just opinion? Is there more fact? Bad components? Fill me in please so I understand.  ???

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
Re: Help me understand!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
For the money, if you have to have a new bike, that is a good one ( if not the best dual suspsion bike at that cost).

But if you have cash and would not mind a used bike without warranty, you could find something about the same price with better specs and suspension that weighs less.

I have a friend that has that bike, it works fine for the price, and with a lifetime frame warranty, that's something to consider.

Here's a good example of a used bike that would weigh less and have a better spec, better suspension for about the same price of less.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/1775846013.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:34:29 AM by Redriderpro »
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
an $875 full suspension is going to be heavy, and is not going to stop your butt from hurting. Getting back in the saddle will cause you to be sore for the first few months until your skin gets accustomed to the pressure. You would be much better off taking that same $875 and buying a better quality full suspension bike used in my opinion. Or if new is attractive because of financing , buy a midrange hard tail.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
i guess it matters on what size of bike you'll need too.. Last but not least... Economic situation too.. If you need to finace a bike, get a better one that the one you're looking at.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:43:09 AM by ProEdgeBiker.com »

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:43:28 AM »
best really - see about a little more cash (if available) and get something a little bit better...like a trance X4  we;re talking about another 3 or 400.00 bucks, but the step up in bang for the buck can't be overrated.  UBC also has some nice rides for the 12000-1300 range.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »
I agree with Pariah on stepping up to the 09' Trance X4 at AJ's.. they have them on closeout and they will give you a deal. Make sure you ask for Darrin or Dave the owners. The frame is much better than the Yukon and is the same frame as the $5000 Trance X0, just cheaper components. The frame/Suspension is the most important part of the bike, so this would be a good one that will A) have a lifetime warranty on the frame, B) is a good one to build on later on down the road with better components. 

Oh yeah, and I love my Giant... :)  Usually the ones ragging on Giant on this forum are the guys who own $5000 bikes that have a reputation for cracking.. The just wish there bikes were as good as a Giant!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:57:50 AM by Darrinw2001 »

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
OH yeah, one more thing - Giant sucks!!!!! :P
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:35:58 AM »
LOL!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »
Bottom line, Giant builds 98% of the bikes that come out of china. They eliminate the middle man so are able to offer a better speced bike than the competion. Giants Maestro rear suspension design is one of the best in the industry. I would spend a few hundred more and get into a Trance, the 4 will work but the 3 comes with an air adjustable Fox fork ;)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
I'd go hardtail for a newb.  It teaches the importance of line choice where as on a FS you are more likely to just roll over everything in the beginning.  FS is not necessary if comfort is your concern...a properly fit HT will be very comfortable to ride for long distances.  Plus a HT is lighter, cheaper, and generally less problematic (no added complication of suspension pivots, shock, etc).  At the price you are looking the Yukon is a good bike but you'd do much better sinking that same money into a new HT (or spend less on the HT and have dinero leftover for helmet, shoes, camelbak, etc)

Later on down the road you can always upgrade to a FS or some other sort of bike and have your wonderful HT as a backup and/or project bike. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:17:31 PM by Alan »

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
Good luck on finding the right bike.  If your azz hurting was your only issue on the current bike, a hard tail will still probably be good for you and cheaper than a full susp.  Spend a little less money on the bike and you will have more spare loot for a really nice pair of padded riding shorts.  If your butt still ain't happy, you could even use a susp seatpost.  The majority of trails in this area don't need full suspension and a hardtail will pedal better for you.  If you decide that a suspension bike is what you need, you can save money buying used.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
Ass pain is also normal when you start riding longer offroad distances for the first time regardless of what bike you are riding.  Hell....everything hurts when you first start.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
if your Ass hurts buy some padded shorts.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
Go low tech, add Crisco to that padding and you Asz
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
Lot of good info being sent your way, and Giants suck! 
<kidding> 
Giant is a good buy.  Rule of thumb is buy a little more than you think you can.  It will be worth it. 

Also, don't judge too much by your Huffy experience.  You'll soon see this for yourself when you get a few miles on a worthy steed. 

And remember, everyones sit bones are different so get info on fit of saddles too when you're looking to purchase.  For many of us trial and error was the name of the game until we found one comfortable for epic rides. You can have a little ass and wide sit bones or a big ass and narrow sit bones, or any other combination you can think of, so it's all about your skeletal structure with saddles.  Being fit correctly on a bike makes a huge difference too.  Bike shops often offer this with the purchase of the bike.

Revolution Bikes in St. Pete is having a 20% off sale on mountain bikes too, so doesn't hurt to shop around the local bike shops and get a feel for the right bike for you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:30:57 PM by Garry »

Advertisement: