Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Still learning  (Read 1941 times)

Offline carmaneric

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XC
Still learning
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Love all the free advice and knowledge I am getting from this site. New question is Full Suspension or Front Suspension.  My main riding will be in Boyette and Alafia on the trails. I thought I needed full suspension but have had allot of people say I don't need it on the trails around here.  I can get allot more bike with just a front suspension but if a full would be better I would get a little less bike.  Still trying to figure it all out. All advice is appreciated.

Offline Joe Messina

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: Specialized FSR XC Comp
Re: Still learning
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »
Hi
Great question...I have been rideing with swamp for 8 months now....I ride everything at this point. I ride 95 percent of the time with my rear sh* locked out basically off. So the times when I need full suspension I just flip a little switch. I would go full if you can....BUT if you cant you can still participate at all the parks.....

Joe
Joe Messina
Peace Out beautiful People....just sayin.....

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
While we don't have mountains in florida, we more than make up for it with technical, rooty, drops and climbs. I think you said you were 40 something in your previous post, I would save your body, and go full suspension. If you can wait till November, you can demo both at the Alafia Fat Tire Festval.

Offline Robert Lucio

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
I agree with Joe on this one.  But that is my personal preference.  I know some people who ride single speed and others who ride full rigid (no suspension).  I would suggest you try to borrow or rent a full suspension and give it a try on the trails.  That will give you a feel for if its something you like. I happen to think my full suspension climbs better and handles better on downhills than did my hardtail.  My body also appreciates the full suspension after a long ride.

I know that doesn't help much, but its worth looking into trying one out.  Also, if you go to other places for trips (carter, santos, markham) you might want the extra bike.  Get as much as you think you can afford and then a little more.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
You really don't need any suspension to have a good time out on the trails. The choice of rigid, hardtail, or full suspension should be based upon your own preferences, wants, needs, etc...not what other folks ride.

As some already stated the best thing is to try out all sorts of different bikes and buy what feels best for you. AJ's is one of the few shops where you can rent a bike to thrash out on the trails. Most other shops will limit you to parking lot demos, but you can still get a good feel by riding up/down curbs and whatnot.

Best of luck on the search.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Like others have said, you really need to find what is comfortable for you. I started riding 4 years ago on hard tails and did OK... I have back and knee issues, and I always felt beat up after longer rides at Boyette and alafia. One I bought a Full suspension I felt a big difference and felt much better after my rides. Last year I bought a hard tail 29er to see what the 29er craze was about, but quickly sold that due to stiffness and that "beat up" feeling again.

Alan has the right Idea about you renting both at AJ's and see what will work for you...

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
I am 40`s also and just went back to HT I ride better everywhere with it in Fl or out of state,Just a note locking out a shock can put unecessary stress on your frame since it is made to withstand the flex of having the shock have seen frames break because of that

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
Every suspension style has it's pros and cons. For intermediate and below level trails I prefer hardtail. I feel much more connected to the trail. For the more advanced stuff I prefer full-suspension because I feel much more in control and don't feel quite so much like I'm getting bucked on rough chattery descents. Only experience with rigid I have is my cyclocross bike which is a different beast than a rigid MTB. The CX bike is an absolutely blast on fast smooth trails like East Meadow at Boyette, most of Croom, and the majority of Flatwoods. Skinny CX tires can be stupid fast on the nice smooth trails.

If you have $1400 or more in the budget I'd be looking at full-suspension. Less than that I would recommend used or hardtail. You certainly don't ever need full-suspension anywhere in the region. Hardtail will require you to develop better skills and not be sloppy. That will make you a better rider overall. Rigid is really a different game that requires a lot of skill to negotiate the techy stuff and not beat yourself up but can be a lot of fun.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
Just buy one of each  ;D

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »
we more than make up for it with technical, rooty, drops and climbs.

A bit overstated, don't you think? ;)

carmaneric - what's your budget? what are your goals? how long do you plan on keeping this bike? that would help point you in the right direction.  Fun can be had on any bike.

Offline carmaneric

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XC
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
My budget kinda depends on what bike I choose. What I mean is if I choose a bike that is around $500. then I will use cash. If I have to finance I would have a hard time getting my wife to let me spend over $1400. and that is pushing it. As far as how long I will have this bike, I don't usually spend this kind of money on myself on a hobbie so this will probably be the last one I buy.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »
My budget kinda depends on what bike I choose. What I mean is if I choose a bike that is around $500. then I will use cash. If I have to finance I would have a hard time getting my wife to let me spend over $1400. and that is pushing it. As far as how long I will have this bike, I don't usually spend this kind of money on myself on a hobbie so this will probably be the last one I buy.

Then I would go with the Trance... But do test ride several hard tails and Full suspensions 1st. Rent a bike from AJ's and tell them you are trying to decide what to buy.. they will help you buy the right bike for you...

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »

Famous last words every rider on this board has uttered...

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

me included... :)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »

I say the same thing everytime i buy a bike.

Advertisement: