Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: San Felasco questions  (Read 670 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
San Felasco questions
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:47 AM »
My goal is to ride the 62 miler in 2011 (rain, shine, cold, whatever).  I am thinking of going up there this summer to do a little exploring.  I printed the trail map, but I have no idea how those trails are.  Can anyone give me some helpful advice to make my 1st trip there a success or is it not a good summer destination?  Are the trails techy (roots, rocks), is there tree cover, etc?  Thanks.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: San Felasco questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
pics don't do justice... come see first hand on 6/26.  Wanna carpool?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »
Some of the trails run through a big meadow, but other than that most trails have alot of tree cover. IMO they aren't very technical, but there are some long (for FL) climbs. Not sure what it looks like in summer though, only time I ride up there is for the tour. It might get a little more washed out in the summer.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »
Some of the trails run through a big meadow, but other than that most trails have alot of tree cover. IMO they aren't very technical, but there are some long (for FL) climbs. Not sure what it looks like in summer though, only time I ride up there is for the tour. It might get a little more washed out in the summer.

there are some roots here and there, but not crazy tech, lots of fun, but 62 miles you better prepare there is alot of climbing on that route for FLORIDA.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »

there are some roots here and there, but not crazy tech, lots of fun, but 62 miles you better prepare there is alot of climbing on that route for FLORIDA.

That's kind of why I want to go check it out.  To see what I'm in for.  Thanks for the replies.  The 26th is a possibility.  I will have to clear it thru my "Social Events Co-ordinator".
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline C_Reff

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: two Monkeys and an Ogre
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »
I think it's some of the nicest single track in FL. Except for the first 3 or so miles of Tung Nut Loop, most is pretty densly covered.  Definately some nice climbing for FL, and usually always see abundance of wildlife, mainly deer.

They just added some new sections/loops, some of which were only open during the tours and others that appear to be just recently cut. Some nice long gradual climbs, nothing technical.

With the new stuff, you can get 30 miles in easy. Unless they added some signage since  I last rode, the furtherst new loop out was very confusing. There were a few forks in the trail with no signs, and I got turned around. Fortunately I had my gps and was able to hop on a horse trail and fireroad to get back on track.

Trails have always been good in the summer, just carry plenty of fluids.

Not sure I can make the 26th group ride, but I'm always open for a trip up there.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »
That place rocks.  Fast, long downhill sections and painful long uphill climbs (for FL).  Couple logs, roots, and rocks on the trails but it is a pretty smooth system overall.  As others have said bring lots of fluids.  That climb in the meadow area is rediculously hot in the summer.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
There will be a San Felasco training ride this Saturday at San Anntonio. 7:30 roll out of the ball field :)

Advertisement: