Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 1 X 9 conversion advise wanted :)  (Read 1748 times)

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
1 X 9 conversion advise wanted :)
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
I have a 2008 Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR Comp( full suspension)

I only use the front middle chainring(32 teeth) and get a lot of annoying chain slap on bumpy terrain.

I want to convert it to 1 X 9 to clean up the looks, save weight that I never use ect.

What is the most troublefree solution? Something similar to a downhill bike front setup? How much should I shorten the chain? I was thinking about grinding the teeth off the large chainring and making that into a ghetto bashguard to start and just setting the screws on the front derailer for starters and taking off the left shifter/cable untill I buy a more permanent solution.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: 1 X 9 conversion advise wanted :)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
I have a 2008 Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR Comp( full suspension)

I only use the front middle chainring(32 teeth) and get a lot of annoying chain slap on bumpy terrain.

I want to convert it to 1 X 9 to clean up the looks, save weight that I never use ect.

What is the most troublefree solution? Something similar to a downhill bike front setup? How much should I shorten the chain? I was thinking about grinding the teeth off the large chainring and making that into a ghetto bashguard to start and just setting the screws on the front derailer for starters and taking off the left shifter/cable untill I buy a more permanent solution.

are you going to be doing any racing this season?

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
Heres what I got.
Took off both outside and inside chainrings. Replaced outside ring with bashguard and got the Ngear jumpstop to keep the chain on the inside. removed front derailler. Now I also just went with a short cage rear derailler and shortened the chain. This will keep the chain from coming off on real rough sections. I do plan on going with a single speed front chainring ( no shifting ramps) and a Pauls chainkeeper soon as well. In my current form it works real good. Even better now that I got the short cage rear D and shortened the chain.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »
I don't race. I just like to have fun and get exercise with friends riding bikes in the woods ;)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:11:22 PM »
How about this... "Use the BIG RING"!

really, there are places like Wilderness and the quads and the 2track at boyette that the big ring is fun.. it also helps you get into shape to ride real mountains in the future..

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
I don't race. I just like to have fun and get exercise with friends riding bikes in the woods ;)

that's all racing is, ask DW.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
I can hit over 23mph on the middle 32t and little ring in the back. Thats faster than you would be riding on most of the single track. It also takes more effort that way than to spin the big ring and say a middle cog in the back.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
I run a 1x9 w/ a Jumpstop and a bashguard. Jumpstop is around $13 at AJ's (similarly priced online). I looked at MRP chainguides but decided to go the Jumpstop route first before spending more money. I had the bash already. I have a short cage derailleur and haven't had any problems since I got the chainguide adjusted correctly.

The only time I have missed the big ring was in the quadrants at Boyette. I have toyed with the idea of switching from a 32 to a 34 to remedy this. If possible I would also suggest a non-ramped gear to further cut back on the possibility of problems.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
I've shifted and tried riding with the big ring many times and quickly shift back to the middle one because it feels better to me no matter where I ride even on long straights or pavement.  I just now took a couple links out of the chain and set my front derailer locked into position and took off the shifter and cable. I'm gonna ride Alafia tomorrow morning to see how it holds up.  I'm definately gonna do a 1 X 9 . I was just looking for specific must have parts list ( rollers? chain guide? bash rings? specific 1x9 chain ring? ect.) that will be the most trouble free without being too noisy and elimate chain rub or slap between gears.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
I've shifted and tried riding with the big ring many times and quickly shift back to the middle one because it feels better to me no matter where I ride even on long straights or pavement.  I just now took a couple links out of the chain and set my front derailer locked into position and took off the shifter and cable. I'm gonna ride Alafia tomorrow morning to see how it holds up.  I'm definately gonna do a 1 X 9 . I was just looking for specific must have parts list ( rollers? chain guide? bash rings? specific 1x9 chain ring? ect.) that will be the most trouble free without being too noisy and elimate chain rub or slap between gears.

If you get good with your big ring, you'll be much better with your mid-ring when you need to use it.

But,

To Each Their Own  :-X

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »
Dang you big ring PUSHERS :o  Grrr!

I NEVER use the big or granny in the front, EVER never ever ever ever when I ride (32 teeth rules in mouths and on bikes!)

I come from a history of single speeding for years and years and I honestly only use a few rear gears even at Alafia and Boyette whether I'm climbing or on a long straightaway. I may just find a non-ramped SS specific 32 toothed chainring and bashguard and keep my FD on there if it seems to work OK.

1 X 9ers unite!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
I have been running 1x9 on my rigs for about three years.  I ride everything in Florida and don't need a big or small ring.  I use an MRP X1 and have been happy with it.  On my RIP, I kept the front der. to use as a chain keeper.  The Paul's is nice too.  Go for the 1x9 and enjoy the weight loss.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
You know he does offer a new perspective.  I never considered the World of Warcraft method of chain tensioning as it pertains to a 1x9 drivetrain!   ;D
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 06:18:48 AM »
W OW  says it all ;)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »
I have been running 1x9 on my rigs for about three years.  I ride everything in Florida and don't need a big or small ring.  I use an MRP X1 and have been happy with it.  On my RIP, I kept the front der. to use as a chain keeper.  The Paul's is nice too.  Go for the 1x9 and enjoy the weight loss.

You haven't rode Jimmy's, there are a few spots there you'll need that granny ring. ;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: