Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Anyone experienced with FMLA?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Anyone experienced with FMLA?
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
My wife is going to use 12-weeks FMLA for child birth.  6-weeks of that will be unpaid (the other 6-weeks will be covered by accrued PTO and whatnot).  She has already had the doctor fill out the necessary forms and put the employer on written notice. 

Everything seems to be in order however now my wife's employer is telling her she needs to write the VP of the company to get permission to take the 6-weeks of unpaid leave.  I'd understand if she were requesting unpaid leave for vacation or something of that nature, but what they are telling my wife doesn't sound right.  We are concerned that when we get close to the deadline they will deny her the last 6 unpaid weeks.  FMLA guarantees her the 12-weeks regardless, right?  Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Anyone experienced with FMLA?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Anyone experienced with FMLA?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
I have had need to use FMLA at my employment once.  What I do know - from an HR persepctive - Your company cannot deny you FMLA and they cannot fire or lay-off your wife as a result of FMLA, in other words she will have a Job when the FMLA is over.  They are not allowed to terminate employment due to FMLA.  they can fill her role and provide her a position equivilant in nature and pay.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Advertisement: