Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike racks  (Read 705 times)

Offline klapool

• First Bike
    • crapmods.com
  • My Bike: Honda VTX 1300
Bike racks
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
Hi, I'm klapool and I have a maniacal wife who is forcing me to ride bikes!

She has been running and riding for a while and I guess I just got sucked into it!

I havent ridden a bike without a motor for 30+ years (I am 45) so I just picked up a Jamis Explorer.

We went on a 30 mile ride with our son yesterday.

Maybe not the smartest move on my part!

Anyway I have a Subaru Baja and we stuffed 3 bikes in the back of it and drove to the bike trail which is an abandoned rail bed converted for bike use.

So I have a question, I have no idea where to ask it so here it goes.

I am looking to buy or make a bike rack that fits in the back of my baja where the front wheels rest in a rack that is on the roof of the pickup and are strapped in some sort of a wheel chock and where the back tires are in a wheel chock in the bed.

I can make it but would prefer to buy one if I could.

Any ideas???

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Bike racks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »
Home Depot is your friend. Keep the tailgate down and you can build a heavy sturdy DIY wooden rack that will save you some money but will be a PIA. Take the front wheels off the bikes and buy a 2X4 of wood cut to length and use  traditional bike mounts. Or you can buy the Subaru OEM one for lots and lots of dollars.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.caraccessories.com/images/Products/bike-racks-and-biycle-carriers-image2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.caraccessories.com/bike-rack.asp&usg=__OvjclrTigOP-ibtISveBFaYWVCo=&h=256&w=320&sz=28&hl=en&start=18&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Xfj1ih4kjas6_M:&tbnh=94&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbike%2Bfront%2Bwheel%2Brack%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ACEW_enUS348US348%26tbs%3Disch:1       or try this?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:26:29 AM »
I second the 2 x 6 with a traditional front fork clamp, with two of these setups one  at the front and back of the bed of my short bed Prerunner, I can carry 4 bikes :)

Offline klapool

• First Bike
    • crapmods.com
  • My Bike: Honda VTX 1300
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »
To home depot I will head, Thank you.

Any ideas where I should start looking for the mounts? Wally world or a bike shop?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »
Any good bike shop should have them.

Advertisement: