Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tampa area farmers market?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
Tampa area farmers market?
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
Are there any farmers markets in Tampa?  We tried the one in Ybor and were amazed to find no food at a farmers market, plenty of patchouli smelling wannabe gypsies selling bootleg DVDs and talentless starving artists selling dreamcatchers and charcoal doodles on black construction paper but no food.  Even the little look alike "farmer shops" on 301 have watermelons and zucchini from Guatemala, just not local enough for me.

While all conversation is nice the voice of speculation isn't nearly as useful as the voice of wisdom so if you don't KNOW please don't send me on a goosechase.   ;D

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Tampa area farmers market?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:52:17 AM »
most of the produce grown in Florida is during the winter and spring. In the middle of summer, most of the produce is out of season. I think the goods start flowing again in the middle of November. Try the downtown market, and sweet water organic garden.

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • 09 Rockhopper Comp Disc
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:08:10 AM »
sam allen and 39 in plant city has a good farmers market.
It's all fun & games until someone gets hurt then it's hillarious

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »

there is also a big one on Hillsborough Ave east of i-75 on the right hand side... these 2 are "wholesale" type farmers markets where restaurants, produce stands, and co-ops buy their produce. Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but Jonesy is right about the growing season.

The Ybor market you describe sounds more like a "Neighborhood Market" where people gather to sell fresh baked homemade items, crafts, t-shirts, some veggies, or whatever else they can. 

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
Funny you should ask. I just got back from the produce market on Hillsborough and 30th.  I've been shopping for my produce there for years.  It's been there for years.  I read a book set in the 40's in Tampa and they referenced the market even back then.

There are booths and most sell the same stuff.  You want to explore because some is more fresh than others, and since there's no a/c things wilt rather quickly.  On the back row you'll find that things are priced a little less.

Things are based on $1.  Just got 4 small green peppers for $1, 2 small red peppers for $1, a quart of tomatoes (6) for $1.  Let's see...4 yellow squash for $1, 2 big green zucchini for $1, 2 eggplants for $1.  Got a watermelon for $1 too.  Hope it's still good.  3 pound bag of onions for $1.50, 5 lb bag of idaho potatoes for $2.  5 bananas for $1.  I shop there for produce all the time.  It's fairly close, about 12 minutes from my house, but even a longer drive is well worth it.

Also, when the season's right, you can get a bargain on some items.  In season, I've bought tomatoes by the 25 lb box for $5.  That's a lot of tomatoes, but they're in my freezer now, ready to make sauce.

If you want a novel experience and you're in the neighborhood and it's before 1:30 pm, you should check out Sanwa. It's a few blocks east of the produce market, on the same side of the street.  It's international wholesale open to the public.  They open at 3 in the morning and cater to the restaurant trade, but you can shop there too.  If you've got a big family or are planning a party, it's a great place to go.  They also carry some really unusual stuff.  The owners are from the far east, so there's a large selection of eastern goods there.

If you're in east Hillsborough, there's 2 nice stands right off I-75 and Branch Forbes road.  The one on the east side of the road has been there forever and I guess I'm loyal to it.  The one on the west side of the road has only been there a year or so.  Both are more expensive than the market at Hillsborough, but are still a lot less than you'll find at the grocery.  In addition, the one I goes to features 4" pots for $ 0.25.  4 for $1.  They'll have herbs and annuals.  Again, they're not always the best and sometimes looked peaked, but if you're lucky enough to get there when the truck arrives, you can get some really good looking plants inexpensively.

I've been a stay at home mom for the past 10 years, so if you want to know anything else about how to make a dollar scream, I'm you're woman.

Jennifer

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 01:42:58 PM »

there is also a big one on Hillsborough Ave east of i-75 on the right hand side... these 2 are "wholesale" type farmers markets where restaurants, produce stands, and co-ops buy their produce. Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but Jonesy is right about the growing season.

The Ybor market you describe sounds more like a "Neighborhood Market" where people gather to sell fresh baked homemade items, crafts, t-shirts, some veggies, or whatever else they can. 

I meant east of I-275, that is the one Jen is talking about.. My Wife runs a Veggie Co-op with 20 member families and they shop at both the one on Hillsborough and the one in Plant City..

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:09 PM »
Ooops, skipped over your last line.

Local...no.  You will find some local stuff sometimes.  I've seen farmers bring in cabbages and greens.  But I think they mostly get it from the Tampa Wholesale market right down the street.

My favorite story from there is that one time I saw an old black man in overalls pull up in an ancient pickup, loaded down with watermelons.  I approached him, had him pick one out for me, and gave him my $2. I was thinking I'd gotten one right off the farm. Got it home, chilled it, took it out to cut it, and looked at the sticker.  Product of Guatemala.

Good luck. 

OK...there is a guy named Gary Parke in Plant City.  He's got a hydrofarm. It's the styrofoam containers that are upright.... It's organic but not certified.  You can pay him an annual fee, then pay him whenever you pick up a basket of produce.    Here's the website:

http://www.parkehydro.com/

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
Are there any farmers markets in Tampa?  We tried the one in Ybor and were amazed to find no food at a farmers market, plenty of patchouli smelling wannabe gypsies selling bootleg DVDs and talentless starving artists selling dreamcatchers and charcoal doodles on black construction paper but no food.  Even the little look alike "farmer shops" on 301 have watermelons and zucchini from Guatemala, just not local enough for me.

While all conversation is nice the voice of speculation isn't nearly as useful as the voice of wisdom so if you don't KNOW please don't send me on a goosechase.   ;D

The Tampa Downtown market seems to be right up your alley, unfortunately it's seasonal. Check it out anyway

http://www.tampadowntownmarket.com/

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »
FOR GODS SAKE...THIS IS A MMOUNTAINBIKE FORUM

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »
FOR GODS SAKE...THIS IS A MMOUNTAINBIKE FORUM

What, people cant eat fruit on their mountain bike ride?

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
For Flying Spaghetti Monster's sake this is the Lounge, where we talk about fresh fruits and veggies!!

Thanks everyone, I'm going to have to hit these places up.  Can you provide any insight on hours/days, they open every day of the week?

Offline Joe Messina

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: Specialized FSR XC Comp
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
hey its all good beautiful people.....food is part of our life, just like mountain biking...hey Im passing this info off to wifey shes been interested in farm markets and stuff too.....

See everyone tues...
Joe Messina
Peace Out beautiful People....just sayin.....

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
hey its all good beautiful people.....food is part of our life, just like mountain biking...hey Im passing this info off to wifey shes been interested in farm markets and stuff too.....

See everyone tues...

Joey, remind me to give you that derailuer hanger tomorrow...

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 07:28:58 AM »
For Flying Spaghetti Monster's sake this is the Lounge, where we talk about fresh fruits and veggies!!

Thanks everyone, I'm going to have to hit these places up.  Can you provide any insight on hours/days, they open every day of the week?

The Hillsborough Market is 24/7.  The Plant City one is open all the time, I think.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »
The Hillsborough Market is 24/7.  The Plant City one is open all the time, I think.
Back in the late 80's when my dad used to work in the farms, I went there with him several times to sell fresh strawberries and cabbage plus other things.  He would always send me "shopping" with other verndors selling the same things as us so we would know what the market price was for what we had.  I am glad to hear that place still open.  There used to be a big inside area where you had to be a registered farmer to sell inside.  But last time I rode through there, I saw severa vendors around the street.  Specially in the weekend at very early morning (before daylight) hours.

Advertisement: