Author Topic: Friendly reminder, always wear your helmet!  (Read 397 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Friendly reminder, always wear your helmet!
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »
Was out for my normal morning ride with a buddy this morning, we came across a guy we see out there almost every morning walking his bike. Slowed down to ask if he was ok, turned out he wasn't. This guy never wears a helmet, rides the Ft. Frasier(rails to trails paved trail) trail every morning. This morning he got bit by it. An armadillo ran across the trail and took out his front wheel. He took a nasty crash, cut to the side of his head, banged his shoulder and ribs, hip, knee and several other things up pretty bad. Helmet would have saved him a nasty cut on his head and probably a mild concussion. Turns out he is also a mtb'er and wears a helmet when mtb'ing. "I never thought I needed one on this trail, no traffic, I ride it every morning." I'm pretty sure he'll have one on next time out.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Friendly reminder, always wear your helmet!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
good idea. I wear mine when riding at all times. Sets a good example for new riders including my own.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
Doest feel right to be on a bike without one for me. If I catch my kids without one, even on the driveway they loose the bike for a while....
No helmet no bike
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
Yeah, I think it is crazy for people to ride w/o helmets anywhere. you never know when you will fall. My front wheel hit a small sandy patch on North Creek Sunday and took out my front wheel. I have had Armadillos hit me, Hogs run out in front of me, had rocks bounce me into trees, roots catch my pedals and trip me, and other riders stop short in front of me making me tumble. Wear a helmet if you like life...
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online Big-E

• Hammer Dropping Fool!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Motobecane 600HT
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
I always do. Since I am constantly dropping hammers I wouldn't want to knock myself out. 

I crash enough in the dirt to make sure i have something over my noggin!

Later,

Big-E

Offline carmaneric

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XC
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
Look at what happened to Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson. If she would have worn that ugly helmet while she was on the ski's she would still be alive today.

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:47 AM »
Having broken a number motocycle helmets and mtb helmets over the years and NOT having a single head ingury, it seems pretty simple to me. WEAR A HELMET!!!

Or assume the "Law of Natural Selection" will catch up with all idiots eventually.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
At least we dont see bicycle riders strapping their helmet to the bike or carrying it on their elbow like the crotch rocket crowd does.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:54:47 AM »
Im an idiot.  Maybe Natural Selection will get me... Or a HOGG or a sandy spot or a armadillo.

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
Jonsey: It was moto-cross, Enduro and Harescrambles, some of which have broken full face Bell and JT Helmets.

Motorcycle riders on the street without helmets(that crash) are probably just adding to fatality rates.

SS: Even the BEST MTB riders fall sometimes, that small piece of plastic and form could/might one day save your life.

Do you really wanna test that theory?

One of my local ride Buds hit a few trees at speed a few months ago, still does not remember hitting the trees or the rest of the ride. Still has a bruise on his temple and a cracked helmet, but is back on the bike.

It's a good guess that without that helmet he may have had at least a scull fracture, which would have been kinda strange because his last name is "Scull".

PS. My horse racing X Wife was thrown from her horse a few years ago into a fence post, guess where she got a scull fracture. Yup just above her temple. No she did not have her helmet on that time because she was just at the stables.

As you can tell, I'm a believer in helmets
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »
No doubt I dont disagree.

Your absolutely right.

I want to, WANT, being the key word, when I get some scratch buy one of the UL helmet offerings so I will be more inclined to always wear it.  the Giro Pro Light really caught my eye.  Also the color, all my helmets are dark and its hot out there in the open sun.  For  now, I just made my black helmet white and have been using it more frequently especially since I been commuting, not so much cause I fear crashing, more cause I dont want to get wrecked.