Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: tires  (Read 2441 times)

Offline tkdbandit

• First Bike
tires
« on: July 24, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
What is a good tire for trails like Balm-Boyette, Wilderness park, and Croom?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »
What is a good tire for trails like Balm-Boyette, Wilderness park, and Croom?
I have used all of these with success

Panaracer fire XC pro
Maxxis Ignitor
Michelin Wild Race'r
WTB Mutano Raptor
Specialized Captains

basically you want something of a medium weight (in the 5 to 600 gram area) with a faster rolling tread... 

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
Or Panaracer Fire FR if you want something heavy, slow and wont pinch flat no matter what you ride on.  ;D

I'm just saying.
Powered By and

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »
Everyone has their favorite.
My fav right now is Maxxis ADvantage UST 2.1

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 04:31:19 PM »
I'm trying a Kenda Karma 2.2 on the front of my 29'er, and so far it seems to work pretty well. I like the Maxxis Aspen 2.2 on the front of my Epi, doesn't do as well when it is slick but is a fast roller and corners well. For the back I like the Maxxis Ignitor 2.1.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
People get pretty attached to there tire choices.  In my opinion, the Ignitor is the best all round tire for our area.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »
Just to clarify my earlier post was sarcastic. The Panaracer Fire FR sucks. For all of the previously mentioned reasons except the anti-pinch flat properties. I guess it makes a good training tire though. Once you plop something lighter on your rim you'll be flying. LOL ;D
Powered By and

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
People get pretty attached to there tire choices.  In my opinion, the Ignitor is the best all round tire for our area.

I like the Ignitor, but I always had a problem with it on the front "pushing" through the corners. So I started trying different front tires. But you are right, people do get pretty attached to anything they buy.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline tkdbandit

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
thanks for the info.  Just tring to get a good idea where to start and go from there.  My bike came with Kenda Kilmax Lite, so Ill see how they do.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
thanks for the info.  Just tring to get a good idea where to start and go from there.  My bike came with Kenda Kilmax Lite, so Ill see how they do.

Exactly, they just may turn out to be your favorite tires.. untill you buy new ones..

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »

From what I can read on MTBR and Kenda's website, those are fairly lite and have thin sidewalls and are prone to flats. Although a 1.95 width tire is OK on hard packed trails and for XC racing, you may want to go with a 2.0, 2.10, or even a 2.35 width when you replace them. Bigger width will help in some of the soft sand down here, and will give you a little cushion. http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/kenda/klimax-lite/PRD_357505_151crx.aspx

I had a set of Kenda Kosmik Lite's which are similar and had them only 1 month when the sidewall blew out on me. 

If I were you, I would run them until I had a problem with them but when it comes time to replace them look at some of the tires listed above. Stay away from heavy, really big knob tires as they will not roll very well.

Offline Drew

• First Bike
    • Endurance Factor
  • My Bike: Yeti ASR Carbon
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »
Go for the WTB Nano's....about 520 grams(lightweight, but not extremely), a true 2.0 tire, very durable, and extremely predictable. Something a little more wider and about 600 grams would be the WTB Wolverine size 2.2.....love these tires. Only one flat all last year with 15+ hour weeks in consistently on the mtn bike.

But as stated by others, you need to find a brand you like and stick with it. So many to choose from, so go with what you think will fit your riding style, course(s), and ability the best.
www.endurancefactor.com
Yeti / Sun Flower Markets Pro mtn bike team

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »

tires, like saddles, gloves, grips, helmets, shorts, bike geometry, shoes, pedals, and drinking bladders.... all are personal preference AND riding style dependant.

i think i can ride ANY tire on any trail with some level of success because i can adapt to the situation. one says 'i think that tire pushes in the corners too much' and another will say 'it rolls really fast (or heavy)' and another will say 'the sidewalls are too thin'.

if you are a bumbling oaf then the tire will push when you plow the corner, the sidewall tears when you bash the rocks, and they all roll slow when you have concrete for legs.

everyone with their drawers drawn up their crack understand there is some heavy peppering of sarcasm (along with liberal dash of truth) in there.

I like the Kenda klimax lite and the Panaracer Fire XC and the Ignitor.... and running the Nanoraptors now.... all work well in different ways.

it's hard to say what your best tire will be until you find it.... and it will take a life time of cycling to find that perfect tire for you. so get crackin’ on wearing out some rubber!!

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:34:44 AM »

tires, like saddles, gloves, grips, helmets, shorts, bike geometry, shoes, pedals, and drinking bladders.... all are personal preference AND riding style dependant.

i think i can ride ANY tire on any trail with some level of success because i can adapt to the situation. one says 'i think that tire pushes in the corners too much' and another will say 'it rolls really fast (or heavy)' and another will say 'the sidewalls are too thin'.

if you are a bumbling oaf then the tire will push when you plow the corner, the sidewall tears when you bash the rocks, and they all roll slow when you have concrete for legs.

everyone with their drawers drawn up their crack understand there is some heavy peppering of sarcasm (along with liberal dash of truth) in there.

I like the Kenda klimax lite and the Panaracer Fire XC and the Ignitor.... and running the Nanoraptors now.... all work well in different ways.

it's hard to say what your best tire will be until you find it.... and it will take a life time of cycling to find that perfect tire for you. so get crackin’ on wearing out some rubber!!

LOL!

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
my favorite tire is the flat on the guy next to me so I can drop him!!!!!! :o
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Advertisement: