Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 29ers in Florida / which way to go and what wheelset?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Drew

• First Bike
    • Endurance Factor
  • My Bike: Yeti ASR Carbon
29ers in Florida / which way to go and what wheelset?
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
What's everyone's opinions on the 29ers in Florida. I have ridden a few myself, but never while in Florida. Do you think it brings a true advantage on the courses and if so, what setup is best(tire and wheel)?

Also, has anyone tried out a true race wheelset on a 29er in Florida(i.e. Stan's Podium wheelset or something similar). If so, how's it workout?
www.endurancefactor.com
Yeti / Sun Flower Markets Pro mtn bike team

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: 29ers in Florida / which way to go and what wheelset?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
There are some trails they will do a little better on, and others where they won't. Never tried any light wheel sets as I'm fat. Light wheels are for light guys that ride light. :o
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
Light wheels are for light guys that ride light. :o
If 1600 grams are light then I have light wheels but I am fat and ride semi-light.   ;D

What's everyone's opinions on the 29ers in Florida. I have ridden a few myself, but never while in Florida. Do you think it brings a true advantage on the courses and if so, what setup is best(tire and wheel)?
Ride what makes you happy.  24, 26, 29, 700c, unicycle, recumdent, tricyle... well you get the point.   Advantage?  Well, I can't remember last time I rode 26er and I don't feel right riding it but that doesn't mean I'll never go back to 26.  As for setup, wow that is a very open question that gets tons of answers.  I will just tell you what I have.  I have a set of Crossmax29er wheels on stands with ignitor front and crossmark back on stans.  My second set is American Classic with same tire setup as my Mavic ones.

Also, has anyone tried out a true race wheelset on a 29er in Florida(i.e. Stan's Podium wheelset or something similar). If so, how's it workout?
What is a "true" 29er race wheelset?  I race (mainly endurance races) and to me those are my "true" race wheelset.  Will it garantee me a podium spot?  Probably not.  But it won't be the fault of my choice of wheelset.  It will be the the fault of the racer.   ;D

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »

I only ride 29ers and I can confidently say nothing will put me back on 26" wheels.  Despite what some folks claim, the larger wheels have no issues with tight technical singletrack.  Some bikes are better than others due to geometry.

My wheelsets are pretty heavy so I can't comment on race wheelsets. 

As far as tires go, I have the Bonty XDX on my Paragon and WTB ExiWolf on my Monocog.  The XDX simply rocks.  It is a 2.1 but seems to have greater volume than the 2.3 ExiWolf.  No real traction issues to speak of.  The ExiWolf is great but I notice that as it wears the traction is getting much worse. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:29:40 PM by Alan »

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

Offline Drew

• First Bike
    • Endurance Factor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
Thanks for the input. Has anyone tried one down in South Florida(i.e. Oleta specifically). I would think a full suspension(26er) would be better then a hardtail 29er at Oleta due to all the rocks. Obviously, a full suspension 29er might be the way to go, but I would like to see if anyone has compared the two above.

Hopefully I will be able to get a 29er myself. If I do, I am going to throw a power meter on the two bikes(Yeti ASR Carbon compared to Yeti Big Top) and compare the two on different trails throughout Florida. I'm very interested to find out how things turn out on the Florida trails.
www.endurancefactor.com

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »
I have an Ellsworth Epiphany, and an Evolve. Both built up pretty similar. The 29'er does not leave the ground the same way the Epi does. The way you hit certain things has to change depending on which bike you ride. Contrary to what some of the 29'er guys will try to tell you, the 29'er isn't some revolutionary thing that makes all others obsolete. Yes, they get "slightly" better traction, but it's not so over the top you will be blown away. Yes, they do tend to roll over things easier, but that doesn't mean you can totally disregard line choice and never have to lift the front wheel. And yes, the do tend to hold speed better through certain sections. But in other places they suffer. Get a frame of bike that isn't set up right and it won't be as agile. It will be harder to get going again in the tight twisty stuff. Every bike has it's trade offs, try one and see what works for you and the way you ride.

Sandpine, you don't ride hard or aggressive. I'd bet those wheels you have wouldn't last more than a couple of rides for me.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline MtnBike2

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Trek Fuel EX 9.9
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »

Thanks for the input. Has anyone tried one down in South Florida(i.e. Oleta specifically). I would think a full suspension(26er) would be better then a hardtail 29er at Oleta due to all the rocks. Obviously, a full suspension 29er might be the way to go, but I would like to see if anyone has compared the two above.

Drew-

The first time I rode Oleta it was on a hardtail 29er. The 2nd time was on my full suspension 26 inch wheel bike. IMO, full suspension is the ONLY way to ride Oleta. 

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
The first and only time I rode Oleta was on a rigid SS 29er.  Aside from it being slippery as hell from the rain hours before (and I still have the scars from two really bad crashes thanks to slippery roots/wood)...the bike did fine. 

Don't need no stinkin' full suspension for any trails here in FL.  ;)

Offline Drew

• First Bike
    • Endurance Factor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
All I know is last year I raced Oleta and finished with hands completely numb on a full suspension......so figured a 29er would be roughing it! The rock gardens down there are all rock and pain!

Anyone know anything about the Down 2 Earth La Rootaaa mtb race down there on August 22nd? Is it worth it?
www.endurancefactor.com

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
Hey Drew,Finally made it on  ;D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Oh... Now that I see your signature I know which Drew you are... Welcome on board.  Not many seasoned racers on here.  A few guys from UBC, Harv, Steve and others.  Haven't done Oletta but I always wanted to go do the 12 hrs there.  Hopefully next time.

Btw, I watched your Colorado videos where you were bombing some downhills along with a dog.  Good stuff...  good luck in FL and see you at the FSC's...

Offline Drew

• First Bike
    • Endurance Factor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »
Thanks. Unfortunately I wasn't able to video the National Championships last weekend. The UCI officials took the camera from me! I should have some more videos yet to come of some good races including the ones in Florida.
www.endurancefactor.com

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:43:05 AM »
drew - i'm building a 29er right now. I've not owned one before and have been riding a fully 26er. i think the handling charactoristics you are asking about have more to do with bike geometry than wheels. Tires, per the last poster on the forum to ask about tires, selection of rubber is totally personal prefence...

with that said i'm having a set of wheels built with NoTubes Arch hoops. They will serve as BOTH race and knock around wheels... 2 reasons. I can't afford 2 sets of wheels right now and the Arch hoops are only 60+/- grams heavier than the 355's that i would get for "race" wheels anyway. so i feel that they will perform the double duty quite well.

just like everyone has a bung-hole (and an opinion) that is mine...

Advertisement: