Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Chain Guides  (Read 904 times)

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
Chain Guides
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »
Ok so I wanted to put a chain guide on my Specialized P1 Chromo circa '06 I think.  I was thinking either this one from MRP http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ZZ287A29-Mrp+G2+Mini-G+Chain+Guides.aspx or this one from race face http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CG289B00-Race+Face+Diabolus+D2+Chain+Guide+09.aspx.  What do you guys think?
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Chain Guides
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
Although they all pretty much do the same thing, I like the one from Pauls better. It looks much cleaner than the other guides out there.

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
I was running the jumpstop and a bash guard which worked most of the time. I switched to the MRP1.x and haven't had a single problem since.

Offline Drew

• First Bike
    • Endurance Factor
  • My Bike: Yeti ASR Carbon
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
I was running the jumpstop and a bash guard which worked most of the time. I switched to the MRP1.x and haven't had a single problem since.

I ran the same guide all year at the FSC races last year. Had no issues, but I did run a downhill/single speed chain on the front to help avoid the chain jumping off.

Since then, I have used it over and over again with different setups and had no issues. I also have a few clients using the same guides in Florida, and one of them mentioned having some issues with the chain skipping off but he wasn't using a single/downhill front chainring(MRP1.x that is).

1 x 9 or 1 x 10 is a great selection for Florida if you have the fitness to push the fewer gears!
www.endurancefactor.com
Yeti / Sun Flower Markets Pro mtn bike team

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
Thanks all for the replies all.  After the pain of searching on my own I decided to ask the guys down at Bicycle Outfitters a few questions.  Its a good thing I did since apparently there is the ISCG (International Standard Chain Guide mount) standards to worry about and beyond that there are two ISCG and ISCG'05.  Apparently in 2005 they updated the design.  After some head scratching, phone calls, and measurements we found out that my Spec P1 uses the original ISCG standard.  Also, since I run a 1 X 9 setup with a 34 up front it really started to narrow down my selection.  Combined with my budget of not wanting to spend too much over $100 and what was available I no joke had only 2 options.  A TruVativ for $67 or a Gamut G25 for $120, well the Gamut won that battle.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »
$55 for a fantastic component engineered and built in the US:
http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

But as I read your other thread it looks like you are dirt jumping.  Paul Comp may not work out for you if that is the case.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
Since I have an interesting FS design around the BB I just put a ron-ramped chainring/bashguard and left the derailer on there. It seems to be working and it was already on the bike when I bought it. I removed the derailer cables/shifter.

I love my 1X 9 setup!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:10:19 PM »
I use the e.thirteen LG-1. Combines everything into one relatively light-weight system, and has an adapter to mount to bikes without ISCG tabs. I also run an unramped blackspire chainring up front, and a normal 9-speed chain.

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
I run an E13 LG-1 on my Intense and it works great.  I'm also going to pick up a MRP1.x for my next build as I've heard great things about them and I won't need the extra security of the lower pulley on that bike.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: