Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Clipless/platform pedals  (Read 557 times)

Offline polkcavediver

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Trek Fuel EX5
Clipless/platform pedals
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »
I am new to mountain biking, and this is my first post on this forum.  I have been riding Carter Road pretty much exclusively since I live within 30 minutes of the park.  I have been steadily progressing, to the point that I have been making just about anything out there.  I have been using clipless pedals from the start.  At first I used Shimano's, then went to egg beaters.  My biggest problem where I loose skin is stalling out on a climb, and tipping over before I can get un-clipped.  I had some brutal falls that could have been avoided.  I just put platform pedals on to try out.  I went out the other night and did pretty well with them overall.  There was a couple of climbs I usually make, but did not because it had rained earlier, and the trail was wet.  That's what I think anyway.  I hit one slippery bridge, and my bike flipped off to the side, and caught myself with a quick foot to the ground.  Will I suffer on the climbs with platforms?  Any insight on this is appreciated in advance.
John

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Clipless/platform pedals
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Well John, IMO clipless is the only way to go. But I know a few guys that they just never work out for that are really good riders. Sometimes you just have to do what works for you.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Clipless/platform pedals
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:38 PM »
I would find a clipless pedal that you have more trust in. I could not get dependable action out of the eggbeaters. Try some quality shimano's or times :)

Advertisement: