Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New freeway cutting through Boyette?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
New freeway cutting through Boyette?
« on: August 28, 2006, 07:33:01 AM »
Something that has been bothering me since I read the news stories last week -The proposed new "loop" freeway around theTampa area is tentatively planned to pass through around Boyette. Chances are they will use govt. owned land to keep the land purchase costs to a minimum. They are saying that the general area of the freeway will be east of Fishhawk passing through the Dover area before it connects to I-4. Maybe in the future we will be parking under an overpass to ride the trails out at Boyette.  The only positive thought is maybe it will have a nice greenway to road bike on. It sucks to think of an expressway being built in eastern Hillsborough.  Tree huggers are gearing up for fight, bikers should maybe be involved to to have whatever input we could  to  kill this idea or steer this monster in the best possible direction.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Re: New freeway cutting through Boyette?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:22:15 PM »
Wow, do you have a link to the article? It would be good to read it.

Just so you know... We have heard there are ELAP plans to restore portions of Boyette to conditions of the old days, prior to the mining operations.  This may mean some lakes being filled in and the like. No indication yet that lakes near our trails will be altered.

The SWAMP board is planning to meet with land managers of Boyette to discuss this and other issues...  Including the potential possibility of new trails in the future. 

So far, it looks like we will still have a good trail system out there for some time.  Highway sounds would be extra.  :)
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 11:17:08 AM »
I did not save or make noteof any of the articles but they were in the Tampa tribune during the past few weeks. Some of the articles had reference to land being purchased now so that when and if the freeway is built the surrounding rural lands are now more desirable and valuable so the speculators and insiders try to take advantage of the now cheaper prices. Compare it to the greenway around Lakeland and Orlando where the old rural lands ( prior to the freeway construction) were too far removed for an easy commute  for work in the centralized city hubs and now with the new freeways and exits the areas  are considerably developed.
    The highway planners were very vague as to the exact route the road would take. This could be seen as an opportunity for insiders to capitalise on purchasing lands at this very early stage of the planning or it might indicate that there is currently no desired route. I think the Suncoast Parkway project works well. If that was closer to me I would use the paved excercise trail  and maybe by a road bike, however, it also is the end of all that wilderness land that has existed for so long as it will now slowly be developed. In the end I guess there is little stopping future growth so might as well make it as painless as possible with new roads.
    What you  said about returning Boyette to its original condition and filling in the ponds, I think that would be a big mistake because it is those ponds  that support what little wildlife is left in that area. Take away the water and it would take away alot of the scenery of the trails.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline gopherT

• First Bike
    • Biking Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:54:48 PM »
The Boyette scrub land is ELAPP land.  It was purchased by the county for Environmental Land Acquisition and Protection Project.  Once land is designated ELAPP, it can NOT be used for another purpose. 

As for the Bay Area Beltway, I really don't see it happening.  The agency that is pushing it is about to implode. 

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 07:49:49 PM »
I didn't know that Boyette was Elapp. Even if that is so, the properties bordering is not, some is owned by TECO  I believe. Also, I am skeptical. If the current laws prohibit Elapp land usage, they can create exceptions or even change the law. As far as the Agency imploding, that may be an even worse scenario to further the chances of  the Beltway because the recommendations being  thrown around are to include  more members from surrounding counties, even Sarasota, which would be the people who would probably push  the BELTWAY project because they are looking for an easier route to Orlando.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:53:04 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: