Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Toytown site  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Toytown site
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »

Hey Garry (and others),

I saw your message on the Yahoo Groups site. I know this topic comes up from time to time. Is there some movement on this? I don't know the site very well, though it is fairly close to my house. With a newborn in the house, I'm not in a position to spearhead the effort, but I'd show up at meetings, work days etc. if it helped get it off the ground. There seems to be some interest. South Pinellas is in dire need of off road dirt trails, even if they don't stack up to Boyette or Alafia.

For those who missed Garry's message:
"There is the possibility of developing off road mountain bike trails on the old Toytown landfill property next to I-275 in St. Petersburg.  Right now developers are looking at the possibilty to build a commercial development there, but frankly with the environmental issues of digging and laying foundations and sewer/water lines I doubt that this will come about.
In the meantime the landfill folks have eluded to the fact that we may be able to build trails on the 230 acre property on a temporary basis.  Who knows, "temporary" could be a long time.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this, a handfull of us are looking into it.  Volunteer trail builders out there looking for the next great challenge?  Help make West Central Florida have the most diverse set of trails around.

How awesome - mountain bike trails and/or cyclecross course in St. Pete?!  Whoda thunk?  Local bike shops, bike dealers, and related interests should get behind this.

Garry
[/color] "[/size][/font]

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Toytown site
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »

Hey Garry (and others),

I saw your message on the Yahoo Groups site. I know this topic comes up from time to time. Is there some movement on this? I don't know the site very well, though it is fairly close to my house. With a newborn in the house, I'm not in a position to spearhead the effort, but I'd show up at meetings, work days etc. if it helped get it off the ground. There seems to be some interest. South Pinellas is in dire need of off road dirt trails, even if they don't stack up to Boyette or Alafia.

For those who missed Garry's message:
"There is the possibility of developing off road mountain bike trails on the old Toytown landfill property next to I-275 in St. Petersburg.  Right now developers are looking at the possibilty to build a commercial development there, but frankly with the environmental issues of digging and laying foundations and sewer/water lines I doubt that this will come about.
In the meantime the landfill folks have eluded to the fact that we may be able to build trails on the 230 acre property on a temporary basis.  Who knows, "temporary" could be a long time.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this, a handfull of us are looking into it.  Volunteer trail builders out there looking for the next great challenge?  Help make West Central Florida have the most diverse set of trails around.

How awesome - mountain bike trails and/or cyclecross course in St. Pete?!  Whoda thunk?  Local bike shops, bike dealers, and related interests should get behind this.

Garry
[/color] "[/size][/font]

This is the FB Fan Page that has been started:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Mountain-Biking-to-Toytown-in-Pinellas-County/122622037785677

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
Hey Graham - congrats to you and Nicole on the little one!

Yeah, some talk about maybe some trails on this side of the bay.  It's open area with no trees, but out west is like that too.  Anyway, probably next week I'll call the land owners and get a feel for what, if anything, we can do there.  He seemed receptive in e-mail, so we'll see.

It would also take the approval of the folks trying to develop the land.  I really don't see that happening because of all of the environmental hurdles they would have to go through, but one never knows.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
Sounds good. As for lack of trees, one of the best rides I ever went on was the JEM trail near Zion National Park in Utah. Not a substianal tree around and the trail rocked. Great flow. Here's to opening up Toytown!

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
  • My Bike: Epic expert
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
That would be awesome to have a trail there!!!I look forward to reading more about it.

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
I'd be super willing to help this effort, I live in Seminole so not very far away.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »
Is there any elevation change ?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »
I'd be super willing to help this effort, I live in Seminole so not very far away.

Albe, shoot me your e-mail and I'll keep you in the loop.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
Is there any elevation change ?

huge

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
will there be a county meeting on this? Or is it thru the developer who owns the property?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »
Spent most of my day working on the roof at my place of employment.Directly overlooking toy town.Spent too much time day dreaming of what might be.There could be some amazingly fast trails built there.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »
Spent most of my day working on the roof at my place of employment.Directly overlooking toy town.Spent too much time day dreaming of what might be.There could be some amazingly fast trails built there.
yeah like, banked wooden turns, bridges, jumps, teeter totters
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
You read my mind...But dont fall and get a boo boo cause I bet you will end up with some pretty weird infections from a landfill.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
yeah like, banked wooden turns, bridges, jumps, teeter totters

prob not on temporary trails..

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »
For anyone who is interested, this topic has come back up on the Swamp Yahoo group email. Those trails in the video (http://www.local10.com/video/27526218/index.html) that Garry posted look darn good for an old garbage dump.

If it helps with a general understanding of what's going on with the Toytown site, you can read this from last year: http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/toytown-developers-want-housing-retail-rail-stop-8212-and-wouldnt-reject-a/1070544

The developers has an option to buy the site if they decide it it worth going forward. If they don't exercise that option, then it again falls to the county to decide what to do with it. That's my understanding.

The site has a lot of elevation change by Florida standards. It lacks trees, but so does Moab and the JEM trail, both legendary MTB areas. Right now, the only thing out there is the model plane flying club. The area is about 1.2 miles long. Not sure how wide.

I dream of southern Pinellas County mountain bike trails.

Advertisement: