Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cure on Wheels  (Read 696 times)

Offline becky.b.alexander

• Forum Newbie
  • My Bike: The Green Machine
Cure on Wheels
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
Hey Fellow SWAMPers and anyone else,

This is a reminder for everyone to please join me in a unique opportunity for MTBers.  Cure On Wheels is hosting a charity ride and they have included a mountain bike course this year which winds through the Wildnerness Trails (Flatwoods, Trout Creek, etc.).

Below are some deatails:

45 Mile Mountain Bike Ride - NEW! (You will have a choice of 15/30/45 miles)

$60.00 per person entry fee ($15.00 late fee added after 9/15/10)
$250.00 Mandatory Fundraising Goal (includes official road jersey) ($250 is as easy as asking 25 friends to donate $10 a piece or 10 friends to donate $25 a piece)
Fundraising Goal Incentives:

$500.00 (receive an official road jersey & bike shorts (full kit)
$1000.00 (receive an official road jersey & bike shorts (full kit), and a special recognition jersey for next year's ride)
$2,000.00 (receive an invitation to the High Roller VIP Party at the Columbia Restaurant, an official road jersey & bike shorts (full kit) and a special recognition jersey for next year's ride.)

Come on my fellow MTBers we have to show those roadies we know how to raise money for Cancer Research!!

Below is the link to sign up and for more details.

http://www.cureonwheels.org/

Becky

Offline merresc

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Rockhopper
Re: Cure on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
Hi Becky - are you doing the ride?  I am doing the 45 mile but hadn't seen any posts for people who for sure are in.  Here's my rider page!  http://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=1390&AID=1232&PID=154344
Dana

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
I am in.  I am riding for a very sick man who is in hospice right now.  Sadly my ride might be changed from "in honor of" to "in memorial" before the ride.
http://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=1390&AID=1232&PID=176561

*Edit* Unfortunately I was right.  Sadly, Jimmie Willis died today, 11/6/2010, after a long bout with cancer.  Not a swamper or a biker, just a nice guy who got a bad set of cards.  Hug your children and/or your parents.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:32:14 PM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »
Well I completed this ride today.  I have very mixed views on it.  On the one hand I am stoked I was able to raise over 1000 dollars to benefit the cause.  On the other hand it was very clear that the mountain bike portion of this ride was an afterthought.   There were no route maps for the various mountain bike rides and the trail markings were awful.  It's unfortunate because I really think they could get the numbers up, and thereby donations, if they would just put a little more effort into it.  I know that swampers would have had a bigger presence if they had known about it AND it was well run.

Anyway I ended up making my own route after awhile and ended up with 48 miles on a beautiful day.

Cheers!
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Advertisement: