Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Steep and Slack - Wacko geometry for Fl trails  (Read 938 times)

Offline KEV

• First Bike
Steep and Slack - Wacko geometry for Fl trails
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »
I have been looking for a replacement for my second bike which is a steel short travel single speed. The Ragley 2011 QED / Pig X have piqued my interest however I am unsure about the odd ball geometry.

Anyone here have experience with the typical On-one / Ragley geometry on Florida trails? I am interested in how the longer wheel base, slacker head tube, and steeper seat tube angles would do on the reds/black of alafia and santos.
Thanks!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Steep and Slack - Wacko geometry for Fl trails
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
Depends on your riding style - if you want a responsive fast bike you'll want to stick to XC/Trail geometry. If you want to plow straight ahead through anything that gets in your way then slacker angles and longer travel has merits.

I know a few local riders like the long and slack geo and they ride pretty hard and fast. It has merits. My spare bike (a Spec Hardrock) when I built up with the fork off my Fisher HiFi (in for warranty frame replacement at the time) was an interesting ride. The extra 30mm of fork really slacked it out and lengthened it. It handled like a pig. But it was a very confident roll over anything pig. Kinda like driving a monster truck almost.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
I've recently come across the Singular Gryphon - a drop-bar, single-speed fully rigid 29er.  Thinking about one of these set up 1X9 as a possible replacement for the cross bike.

I'd be curious about folk's thoughts on it.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »
Love taking the cross bike out. Some bigger tires would be nice sometimes though.

A drop bar rigid 29er would be perfect for Croom or Flatwoods and large chunks of Boyette and Santos.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:42:57 PM »
That's what I'm thinking....

Advertisement: