Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Balm-Boyette Open/Close staus  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Balm-Boyette Open/Close staus
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
Boyette is to be closed during the week for the next few weeks, but open for riding on weekends.

We had a great workday out there today with 16 volunteers to fix a few things, and in the coming weeks leading up to the Fat Tire Fest we will be trying to concentrate on fixing erosion issues on RIDGELINE and mud/clay in the lower sections.

What this means is we need some fairly sizable crews of volunteers to help reopen this popular trail; if you want to ride it you may just have to help fix it.  Everybody is busy or has things they would rather do.  It's not easy work at times.  It means giving up one or two of your Saturdays.  But it also means a fantastic trail is once again in the quiver of ride destinations open to be ridden on MANY Saturdays.

When the workdays are planned and announced please offer up some of your time for this.  The payoff is huge in enjoyment.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
  • My Bike: Epic expert
Re: Balm-Boyette Open/Close staus
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 05:17:15 PM »
OPEN weekends..AWESOME...I would love to volunteer but cant get there till 10am or so...Can you still use me?.Also willing to do time even on un-work days.
Also FTF is at boyette this year??Where is everyone parking?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:06:45 PM »
OPEN weekends..AWESOME...I would love to volunteer but cant get there till 10am or so...Can you still use me?.Also willing to do time even on un-work days.
Also FTF is at boyette this year??Where is everyone parking?

Sometimes we can accommodate a late show for the workdays, especially if we are going to have a longer workday as we prepare for the FTF.  If anyone has time other than a scheduled workday they can strap some loppers or hedge shears on and go trim what trails need it.  With the rains trail repairs have taken precedence over trimming.

The FTF is at Alafia State Park, but we also do an epic ride on Saturday of the fest from Alafia to Boyette and back, so we use both trails for the weekend.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Sounds good Garry.Being an old timer to boyette I have my eyes on fixing up vista ridge and golfcart.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
Trails looked great, and the road out wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. Could tell there was alot of work done yesterday.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
The trails did ride nice today and yes, some good work was accomplished yesterday.  Some will hold up nicely against use and erosion, some will require more work again till we work it enough to hold up.

Chriss, Vista Ridge is a short little trail but always been one of my favorites!  It's a little overgrown today, but the fixes I did on it earlier this year are holding up well.

If anyone has an opportunity to clean up the little connector after Upper Loch Ness going into Lower West Meadow it would be greatly appreciated.  Overgrown and a sizable branch fell down with vines attached.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
Before lochness was built vista ridge was my "Im here" trail.Always figured someone would miss the turn and go over the cliff.Im amazed at how good of a job you guys have done out there.Look forward to doing some work.

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD converted to guy bike
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
I have a flat shovel (not really good for digging but good for scooping. I also have a half dull machette. Are those the kind of tools you seek your volunteers to bring? I do not have any power tools. Either way it would be a major pain in the butt to drag a shovel 2 miles to the trails. Can't we just ride to the trails? I got a 4x4 im sure it will navigate that 2 mile stretch with no problems...
Ride within my safety limits

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
SWAMP vehicles that have been previously registered with the proper authorities are driven past the gate on work days. The tools, people, and the club's 4-wheeler are brought in that way. 

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »
Still closed during the week?

Are people riding anyway?

Did the whole dang park burn?  The quadrants, etc?

I'm not sure why they are closing the entire park if just park of the park was affected by the wildfire.

Offline Canonball

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Cannondale F2 w/ Marzocchi Bomber Fork
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »
With the exception exception of SST (R.I.P.), no damage was done to any of the trails.

Anyone knowing better can feel free to correct me on this...

Most of the work being conducted is on the dirt road (2-track) coming and going from the parking lot. So, the park is closed because the only public access is being utilized for the logging. Safety/liability is always an issue, so with all the logging trucks and machinery out there, they don't want to deal with that issue (bike vs. tractor trailer = no contest).

I did go out last weekend, and the road out to the trails was in far better shape than expected.
You get paid to control the things you can't control

Offline R1Fast

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »
What about during the week,,,, after 5pm? ;D
Say 5:30pm after all the workers are gone.  Would that be an issue?

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
With the exception exception of SST (R.I.P.), no damage was done to any of the trails.

Anyone knowing better can feel free to correct me on this...

Most of the work being conducted is on the dirt road (2-track) coming and going from the parking lot. So, the park is closed because the only public access is being utilized for the logging. Safety/liability is always an issue, so with all the logging trucks and machinery out there, they don't want to deal with that issue (bike vs. tractor trailer = no contest).

I did go out last weekend, and the road out to the trails was in far better shape than expected.

I understand what you're saying but it still seems to be kinda overkill.  Like road construction when they have a lane blocked...they've got someone directing traffic and it's not like the guy would be very busy out there, anyway.

Maybe if they bring in some heavy equipment, like a chipper, they can put mulch down on the fire road leading into the trails (one can dream....)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »
Still closed during the week?......Was originally going to be closed for 3-4 weeks, but the logging crew is only working M-F this time. Saturday and Sundays open maybe just 2-3 weeks? We'll see.

Are people riding anyway?......They won't let you access the place while they are working.

Did the whole dang park burn?  The quadrants, etc?......130 acres burned.  The whole property from the hiking trails across the road to the far east bike trails is over 4900 acres.  As a side note: They also picked up the adjoining property north of the hiking trails and are also acquiring property connecting from the reservoir on the northeast end, so it's actually connected space way over 4900 acres.

I'm not sure why they are closing the entire park if just park of the park was affected by the wildfire......Logging trucks in and out, liability issues of a "construction site."

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »
What about during the week,,,, after 5pm? ;D
Say 5:30pm after all the workers are gone.  Would that be an issue?

Word on the skreet is peeps be riding, yo!  ;D But I ain't the one to gossip, so you ain't heard that from me.  :-X