Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: bottom bracket help  (Read 823 times)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
bottom bracket help
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
OK - so I wanna add this MRP chain guide to my 1X9 setup. I am using Truvative Stylo Cranks with a GXP BB. Thing is there is no drive side spacer on the BB. Therefore adding the MRP will throw off the chainline another 2.5mm. Im looking at doing something..... either an XT crankset or maybe just a different BB. The Truvative GXP specs NO spacer for 73mm BB shell which I have. Can I get, say a CK BB, Hawk Racing BB or even a Shimano XT BB? Do the cranks dictate which BB you can use? Much rather replace BB than have to buy a whole crankset to achieve the goal.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: bottom bracket help
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
Looking at the Shimano installation instructions for a bike with a 73mm BB shell they spec one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. So you should be good with the chain guide installed instead of the spacer. Truvativ crank spindles are sized differently then everyone else, so you are stuck with their BB.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
You can also NOW get a chris king BB for trutaviv cranks which should alos have a spacer same as the shimano
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:01 AM »
You can also NOW get a chris king BB for trutaviv cranks which should alos have a spacer same as the shimano
That would be a nice option. I know they offered a shim to fill the gap, but if they offer a BB sized to the Truvativ spindle that would be worth looking into.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
+1 on the Shimano BB.  Double checked mine and it has the one spacer.  XT BB is a pretty stout unit and fairly cheap.

Dan...if you find a good deal on an XT external (and if you go that route) please let me know.  I think I need a new BB and would go halves with you on shipping if you order two. 

Advertisement: