Author Topic: Aj's Bikes and Boards Charity Bike Build to benefit local "at risk" kids!!!!  (Read 371 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Bring your old mountain bike and spare parts up to Aj's and donate them to the First Annual Aj's Bikes and Boards Charity Bike Build.  All the rebuilt and repaired bikes will be donated  to "at risk" kids from the Bay Area for logging volunteer hours on community service projects as part of Trips For Kids Tampa's earn-a-bike program that rewards kids for giving back to their communities!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:03:15 PM by Chris K »
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline RKL

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
The kids in this program are in middle school, so you'd be looking for kid sized bikes - not large adult sizes??

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
We are looking for all size bikes, some of these kids are  close to 6 ft tall but the ideal size bike for this is a 26 in wheel, 13-17 in bike
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
bump....

Today was our second ride of the year with 34 students from the Academy Prep Center of Tampa.  We also introduced them to our Earn-A-Bike program today and got them registered for a chance to earn their own mountain bike volunteering their time in the community.

One of the questions on the Earn-A-Bike program registration was, "Why do you want to earn a mountain Bike?"

Here are just a few of the kids answers......

Elijah, 11 years old-   
" Because I have never had a bike."

Lisette, 11 years old- 
" I've always wanted a mountain bike but unfortunately my parents don't have a lot of money to afford a mountain bike, plus I want to be active everyday.  I also love to ride bikes."

Carl, 11 years old- 
" I want to be able to practice my mountain biking skills more"

Diego , 11 years old- 
"  I want to earn a mountain bike so I can come out here with my mom and ride with her"

Maria, 11 years old- 
" Because I like nature and because I love bikes"

Aviance, 11 years old- 
" So I can teach my Baby cousin how to mountain bike"

Grace, 11 years old- 
"  So I can practice and learn more at home so I can get better"

Saibreyelle, 11 years old-
" Because I had never ridden one before and they are cool"

Victor, 12 years old-
" I want to earn a mountain bike because it is fun and a great way to get me out of the tv."

Sheriean, 11 years old-
" I want to earn a mountain bike because I want to experience outdoor riding so I can go lots of places."
Help us make sure all these kids have the chance to Earn-A-Bike! Donate your used bike or spare parts!!!!

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Some pictures of the kids from the Academy Prep Center

Learning how to ride a drop!

Starting the day off with a lecture on the rules of the trail and mountain bike safey!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:45:26 PM by Chris K »

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
bump.....

I want to thank everyone who has brought a donation to Aj's!  It has been amazing to see the amount of bikes and parts that have come in.  When Dave from Aj's and I first started planning this we had no idea of the outpouring of support from the mtb community we were going to recieve.  This event is going to be an overwhelming success and that is greatly due to SWAMP and its members!  Thank you!!! 

Some parts we could still greatly use are headsets, handlebars, shifters, brake levers, and forks.  If you have any of these lying around and would like to donate them bring them by Aj's or contact Trips For Kids and we will have a volunteer pick them up from you.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Due to the amazing support and amount of donations, we are moving the date of the Bike Build until after the Holidays..

the new Date will be Sunday January 23rd 7am-11am! Please continue to drop off donations to AJ's bikes and Boards!

Thanks!
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
I have 2 giant hard-tails that my kids have outgrown.  They need a little TLC but I'll be glad to donate them.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
I have 2 giant hard-tails that my kids have outgrown.  They need a little TLC but I'll be glad to donate them.

Wow! Thanks BeerCan! we can fix them up and give them to a kid that will EARN it and appreciate it! If you dont have time to drop them at AJ's shoot me a Pm and I will come get them!
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!