Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: presta vs schrader tubes  (Read 3656 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
presta vs schrader tubes
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »
I know it's been asked before, but is there any real advantage to presta tubes other then for road biking?

Heres the deal, I have a wheel set that is still pretty new but came drilled for presta tubes. No matter what I do I can't keep air in them. I've checked for burrs, I've pumped the tubes up outside of the tires and a week later they are still good, but every time I hit something hard on the trails it leaks a little air out until I end up either stopping and pumping them up, or they leak out so much that I get a pinch.

So before I bring them in and have then drilled out for schraders can anyone tell me one good reason to keep them as is? I don't want to go tubless yet, just want my tires to last a ride.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: presta vs schrader tubes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:15:38 AM »
Check your rim strip, make sure it's centered and covering your nipples(that sounds bad), check the inside of your tires for hidden broken off spurs/thorns/glass ect. What pressure do you run, over/underinflation can lead to flats. Get new tubes.

Or just take it to a local bike shop if you're no bike expert.

I've heard Presta holds higher pressure better and is less prone to slow leaks. Tougher (metal)valve stem/can be locked on the rim with a nut. There's more stem length options w/ presta.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:49 AM »
I doubt the style of valve is the source of your problems.

I prefer presta because I've had much better luck with getting pump valve heads to lock and stay on. Schrader is a pain because you have to push it down to open the little pin valve and lock it just right.

Really, both are perfectly adequate for most cases. Schrader will be more difficult at high pressures. Presta will be harder to find a pump if you forget yours and don't have an adapter handy.

Tubeless is the solution - best money I've spent on my bike though opinions vary.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:07:53 AM »
Check your rim strip, make sure it's centered and covering your nipples(that sounds bad), check the inside of your tires for hidden broken off spurs/thorns/glass ect. What pressure do you run, over/underinflation can lead to flats. Get new tubes.

I've replaced the rim strips, and tried different sets of tires, as well as had the bike shop go through them....nothing. The flats I'm getting are pinch flats from me losing air. If I ride on the street or smooth trails then they hold well, but when I'm hitting some ruff stuff they leak out with each hit. I'm going through a tube every 4-5 rides now and I'm tired of replacing them. When I ran schrader valves I went almost a year before my first flat. I don't check my pressure, I've always gone by feel and I know the exact amount of sag I need to ride like I do.

I prefer presta because I've had much better luck with getting pump valve heads to lock and stay on. Schrader is a pain because you have to push it down to open the little pin valve and lock it just right.

Really, both are perfectly adequate for most cases. Schrader will be more difficult at high pressures. Presta will be harder to find a pump if you forget yours and don't have an adapter handy.

I've never had a issue pumping up schraders, I do have trouble sometimes pumping up the prestas becuase I have to use an adapter. Everyone I ride with uses schraders so I keep my pump set up for them. When I use the adapter for my valves sometimes when I take the pump off the valves stay open and leak down the tire, which is another reason I'd like to get rid of them.

I'm thinking for skinnier rims and tires with higher pressure they would be great, but I just can't seem to get them to work for me as is.

PS I'm running velocity rims, I chose them cause they are thicker and a little more heavy duty so drilling them won't compromise the stregnth.

Thanks guys

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:58:09 AM »
I know this may be an obvious question, but are you sure you are locking the valve nut down after filling with air? even if you are using a Schrader adapter you need to remove it and lock the valve nut after filling with air... I have never had a problem with presta tubes over Schrader. I also us a Schrader adapter since my mini-pump does not work well with presta..

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »
Drill out the rims if you like schrader better. Be sure to use the right size bit and file extra smooth afterwards. It sounds like your mind was already made up you just wanted affirmation.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
Yep I am tightening the nut on the valve when I'm done. I actually tightened one so much the end snapped off of it :o .

My mind was more or less made up already, I was just wondering before I did it if there is any real advantage.

I'm also wondering if weight could be a huge factor in the prestas leaking. I'm sitting at 230lbs right now (recently had a baby and just getting back into biking). They have always leaked down on me, but I swear they leaked down slower when I weighed 205lbs. Again my schraders never leaked much even when I was a bit heavier.

Thanks again guys.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
What kind of psi are you running? Do you check pressure before each ride?

Offline David Metzendorf

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
You could also use stans or the green slime to help seal your valve stems.  It is messy and a little bit heavy but works great on the little leaks. Doesnt help you much for a real tear

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
I don't check my psi at all, I've always gone by feel and sag and I check the tires to make sure they are where I need them before each ride. I like to ride with a little more pressure especially with the maxxis ignitors cause at lower psi they tend to slide alot.

But like I said I never had any issues with losing air or blowing tubes until I got these new rims and had to use prestas. I love the wheels, I just don't want to keep pumping air and blowing tubes. I also don't have much interest in going tubeless just yet, but if I can't get this sorted out I may have to do some slime tubes or something.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
Get yourself a tire gage ;)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
I've been 230 for a long time and never had an issue with loosing air due to presta valves. Get a tire gauge as someone has already recommended, when riding near the limit of pinch flatting I've found even .5psi makes a difference, especially for a guy our size. On my 26'er I run 32/36, I can run less but sometimes run into issues hitting jumps and off-camber stuff. On my 29'er I run 25/30, again I can run lower but on occasion have trouble, would personally rather not have trouble and just bash, rail, and ram whatever I feel like that day. :P
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 06:51:45 AM »
I understand the ability to read psi can be important if you are running on the edge of getting a pinch, when I ran schraders I did check it from time to time and usually ran about 38-40psi. But how would knowing what psi I'm currently at help when it leaks out? I pump them up to where they feel about the same as I've always run them, and in 1 corporate lap at Carter I usually have to fill them up twice. Mostly the rear wheel, but the front leaks down too.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
I understand the ability to read psi can be important if you are running on the edge of getting a pinch, when I ran schraders I did check it from time to time and usually ran about 38-40psi. But how would knowing what psi I'm currently at help when it leaks out? I pump them up to where they feel about the same as I've always run them, and in 1 corporate lap at Carter I usually have to fill them up twice. Mostly the rear wheel, but the front leaks down too.

there is no way that the tube being a Presta over a Schrader would cause leaking like you are describing. The ONLY reason it would leak like you are saying (due to being Presta) is if you did not tighten the lock nut on the valve after filling. I would look at other issues like pin prick holes and maybe even something stuck in your tire that keeps poking holes in your tubes. Run your hand around the inside of the tire and feel for thorns or metal sticking out.

if you just prefer Schrader over Presta for some reason that is fine go ahead and drill it out,  but trying to blame the Presta valve as the issue really does not hold water. in the 4 years I have been riding I have not ever experienced or have heard of anyone else experiencing these issues on Presta over Schrader. 

Advertisement: