Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trips For Kids Tampa needs a bike mechanic!  (Read 418 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Trips For Kids Tampa needs a bike mechanic!
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
We have taken over 190 kids on mountain bike rides in the last year and our bikes are taking a beating!  We need someone or a group of people to help us keep our fleet of bikes up and running.

If you are handy with a wrench and would like to help us in our mission to introduce underserved youth to the sport of mountain biking, please consider taking on the role of maintenance director for Trips For Kids Tampa or serving on the maintenance committee.

We have a workshop equipped with tools and a stand located on the Alafia River near the Riverview library (Riverview Dr and 301).  Anyone serving on the maintenance committee will have full access to our shop and is more than welcome to use our tools and shop for their own bike repairs as well. I will also personally keep a fridge stocked with the adult beverages of your choice and as an added perk  have 7 seven docks on the Alafia River loaded with snook, redfish, and mullet  that you are more than welcome to fish off of whenever you are at the shop.

What the job entails:

• Develop a maintenance plan for our fleet
  • perform pre-ride safety checks
  • perform after ride repairs
  • order needed parts from from our wholesale vendor (you will also be able to purchase your own parts from our wholesaler at our cost)
Requirements:
  • extensive knowledge in bike repair
  • pass a criminal background check
Time Requirements:Once a routine is established this will only require several hours of your time per month

If you are interested in learning more please  contact me by phone at 813-210-2013 or email at chris@mtbyouthride.org

Thanks,
Chris
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Trips For Kids Tampa needs a bike mechanic!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
Chris, what about partnering with http://tampabikecoop.wordpress.com/ ? This is their mission statement:

Our mission
The Tampa Bay Bike Co-Op is a community run, non-profit organization that provides educational and physical resources for cyclists. We emphasize educating others on how to repair and maintain their bicycle as well as reusing and repairing old bicycles and parts donated by the community and returning them to those in need.

We are not a bike shop. We do not do drop-off repairs or sell new bikes, but we do have a full range of tools to help visitors work on their bicycle and volunteers on hand with mechanical knowledge to help you learn.

The Tampa Bay Bike Co-Op believes in making cycling education and repair available and accessible to all. By promoting do-it-yourself ethos in alternative modes of transportation, we hope to support a community of people helping people, and therefore ultimately helping themselves. Learn more in the FAQ.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Re: Trips For Kids Tampa needs a bike mechanic!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
I got a lot great feedback today from many of you and one of the ideas I really liked was the suggestion to hold some bike workdays when we needed some things worked on.  We are still going to look for someone to take on the role as maintenance director and handle some of the administrative stuff, so if you have a lot of bike repair knowledge and strong organizational skills this might be something that interests you.  If you want to get some more info on this position shoot me an email or pm.

If you would be interested in coming out occasionally for a bike repair workday send me a message or respond to this post and give me your email address.  We will plan a couple of workdays and send out email notifications to let you know when they are coming up.  I think this will be a good way to get people involved without requiring a huge commitment from anyone.

Carlos, we have talked about getting involved with the bike coop.  One thing that we thought would be good to work on the coop with was our earn-a-bike program.  It would be great to get the kids in their working on bikes that they would eventually be able to keep.  Now that our earn-a-bike program is coming together that might be something we can actually pursue. 

Thanks again for all the great input, and if anyone is interested in coming out for a bike workday occasionally hit me up!
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Advertisement: