Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: carter rd  (Read 919 times)

Offline kymtnbiker

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Scullbuster, Scott Co.Ky.
  • My Bike: Niner E.M.D. KHS 606
carter rd
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »
ok,I made it from ky. and from what I gather I am close to carter rd. and the trails there. Is it hard to find your way around? I just want to ride,not a killer fest,I am slow fat and old but I do like to ride. Thought I would try Carter rd. Wed.morning sometime but not too early and Thur I plan on going to Croom. I road the bike path Sun. from Dade City to the Croom trailhead and found the north/south loop. By the way I am staying on Shepard rd. so if anyone can give me better directions I would be greatful.
Going to the beach tomorrow!

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: carter rd
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
Carter is easy to find your way around, should not be a problem. Croom on the other hand, is going to be sandy,sandy, and more sandy. Better after some rain.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
Take Shepard road East to Florida Ave (Hwy 37) Take a right and then your next left on Carter road. Go about 1/2 mile and the park in on your right. Go all the way to the back off the park, where you will find the trail head.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »
Is Wed. at Carter still Wacky Wednesday where the trails are ridden backwards?
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Good point.  Yes, it is!  It does flow very well backwards.  Don't walk....RUN from Croom!  Stay on the road another half hour to get to Santos, you will not regret it.  The signage there is the best in the area.  Enjoy.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
Croom is awesome, but will be very dry(sandy) right now due to no recent rain fall. Also consider Alafia state park ;)

Offline fishindaddy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Opie
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
I am also old, slow and been riding less than a year.  Carter is pretty easy to find your way around.  The yellow is easy and the blue is not to bad.  The blue has a lot of roots and some decent climbs and great views along the pits but not to dangerous (for our old bones) if you mess up.  I have ridden it probably 20 times and am still intimidated by the RED.

Offline kymtnbiker

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Will there be a sign of some sort to send me in the right direction for Wacky Wed? Where is Santos?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
Will there be a sign of some sort to send me in the right direction for Wacky Wed? Where is Santos?
Santos is in Ocala, about an hour and a half drive(but well worth it) Alafia is within 30 minutes of you and is the next best option to Santos :)

Offline fishindaddy

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:48 PM »
turn into the park from carter rd.  go the the "T" intersection and go left towards the ball fields.  You will run into the trail head.  On days other than Wed you head east into the woods.  On Wed you head west back down the paved road to the clay road, past the dog park.  If you want a 3 mile loop turn left where the trees get close to the road 100yds past the dog park.  If your up for more, go another 50 yds past the dog park and the trail is on your right.  I highly recommend printing a map from the trails section of this forum.

http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,3526.0.html

IF you are going to ride the blue, which I would, be careful on lil'humper and roller coaster.  They are the best places to join the "Carter rd Swim Club"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
If you can wait until Thursday evening I can give you a guided tour of Carter after work. It is very close to Shepard Rd. For Wednesday you could hit up either Alafia or Boyette, 2 other awesome trail systems.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline kymtnbiker

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
slowfatguy,I don't know if I will be able to make it due to being in Lacoochee on Thur. I will try to plan it out so I can meet up with you,about what time are you talking,5:00ish? Friday morning sometime may be a good time as I don't have any commitments til that afternoon. 
 I don't think I will be able to make it to Ocala except to drive through on the way back home,just a little too far to drive.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
I can get out there about 5:30. Don't change plans or get in trouble with the family to meet me though. ;)  Just let me know if that time works for you so I know to look for you.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline fishindaddy

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
I only live 5 min from Carter and might be available on Friday morning.  The problem is I never know until thurs night.  I will post as soon as I know.

Offline kymtnbiker

• First Bike
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Well looks like I can't get any plan schedule from the other half so... that being said I will just try to get to Carter Rd. and if anyone sees a short,fat,old guy that looks like he may be lost... I probably am so just say hello and point me in the right direction.

Advertisement: