Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: ARTICLE It's time to speak up for Tampa Bay area bicyclists  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
Re: ARTICLE It's time to speak up for Tampa Bay area bicyclists
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
I once got hit on the back of the head with a big gulp full of ice

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
Love the comments on this article.  It' a great sign of the ignorant fools driving cars, things like:

Bikers dont pay taxes for the roads and thus have no rights to them?  WTF moron my household owns 3 vehicles I pay more taxes than peeps with 1 car...you single car owners get the pvck off my ROADS!!!!! 

Bikes belong on the side walks....what dumbass believes that statement... bikes are vehicles per florida state law and thereby illegal to opperate on sidewalks (kind like your car dumbass....)

These people need an education, but until they realize they're NOT the center of the universe even that's going to fail.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
I also love the ride on the get on the sidewalk comments. I hear that from time to time whenever i take the lane. People like that you cannot even argue with. They think its fun to come within inches of you while doing 40 + mph and its a joke. Only way to make them learn is to get them on a bike on the road and take them for a 30 + mile ride... oh wait i forgot.. they cant pedal that far.

I really think the only way to correct the problem is to have separate bike lanes from car lanes. Even though segregation is the worst idea at least if there was a 3 foot high mountain of concrete between cars and bikes this wont happen as often. That and more rail trail...Since i highly doubt Pinellas county will approve more single track to run east west (Pinellas trail does good job of going n/s).

Option 2 is to bring hammers with you and literally drop the hammer... ;D

Big-E

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »
I can't believe how many short minded comments there are about cycling, it's just saddening.  I ride a motorcycle all the time and frequently see all of the "Watch for motorcycles" stickers and billboards.  How can people respect that and not a cyclist.  Oh and that comment with the officer cutting off the cyclists, I hope they got a badge number and reported his ass.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
I ride a motorcycle all the time and frequently see all of the "Watch for motorcycles" stickers and billboards.  How can people respect that and not a cyclist.

People don't respect anything outside of their personal bubble. Motorycles are treated with equal disrespect most of the time, but with that being said, I can see why motorcycles are more tolerated for two reasons:

1) They generally travel as fast, or faster than traffic, so they're not as big of a nuissance as bicyclists traveling 30mph slower than everyone else yet taking up a lane.
2) More people use motorcycles as a legit mode of alternate transportation. Hillsborough is mostly suburban sprawl linked together by roads with speed limits of 50mph or greater,  so bicycles that can only go 20-30 mph are always going to interfere with traffic.

I really think the only way to correct the problem is to have separate bike lanes from car lanes. Even though segregation is the worst idea at least if there was a 3 foot high mountain of concrete between cars and bikes this wont happen as often. That and more rail trail...Since i highly doubt Pinellas county will approve more single track to run east west (Pinellas trail does good job of going n/s).

Why should everyone in the county have to fund that construction project through higher taxes? Can't people that want to ride bicycles for recreation use the pinellas trail or something?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:18:02 PM by jdk »

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:19:24 PM »
Why should everyone in the county have to fund that construction project through higher taxes? Can't people that want to ride bicycles for recreation use the pinellas trail or something?

Why can't people who choose an auto for their mode of transportation just give a little room and a few seconds or a minute for the cyclists - and pedestrians for that matter?  With a flick of the ankle the auto is gone down the road like nobodies business.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »

Why can't people who choose an auto for their mode of transportation just give a little room and a few seconds or a minute for the cyclists - and pedestrians for that matter?  With a flick of the ankle the auto is gone down the road like nobodies business.

Since I mountain bike, I hear you. But out of every 10,000 people that drive in Hillsborough, MAYBE 1 of them cycles.  It's going to be a pretty hard pitch to those other 9,999 people to ask them to sit behind some guy on a bike riding for recreation, going 20 mph when the speed limit is 50 mph.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »

Since I mountain bike, I hear you. But out of every 10,000 people that drive in Hillsborough, MAYBE 1 of them cycles.  It's going to be a pretty hard pitch to those other 9,999 people to ask them to sit behind some guy on a bike riding for recreation, going 20 mph when the speed limit is 50 mph.

What if it were a tractor?  Or a vehicle having trouble?  Is the best option to plow into it so one can get to their destination 2 minutes sooner?

Offline Big-E

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed. I do believe the infrastructure is already in place, actually nothing has to be built or done. There is plenty of road out there but like your saying most people dont get outa there little bubble. I mainly ride rail trail but i have about 2 miles of road to ride before i get there. Just today while turning left from A-19 to Anclote road  the van tried -no wait he did- pass me during the turn. I had taking the lane in anticipation of this and the van did give me over 3 feet of space. Un-fortuity he caused the oncoming traffic to go right as he was about to mow them down. So did he give me respect or not? I can tell you he violated the law but beyond that i dunno.

All this could be avoided if motorists gave more respect to cyclists. I mean when normal people get behind the wheel they turn into raving murderer's or something. Even before I was riding i would always give cyclists a wide berth. I mean it is a PERSON pedaling that thing not a cyborg or something. So it seems the moral consequence's dont offer enough reasons to give a cyclist respect im thinking tougher laws will have to be implemented. But im sure that will fall on deaf ears, and since im preaching to the choir here so is this post.

Im off my hammer filled soap box here..  RIDE DIRT..

Big-E

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
I have enjoyed riding the roads through out the Tampa Bay area. I respect the rules of the road whether on my bike or in my truck. Reading the posts by the anti bike crowd, affirms my long held belief that the majority of the people who post these rants are miserable, pathetic, impatient, sniveling little bitches. Not a one of them would have the balls to get out of their car and discuss with me their thoughts on how they are entitled to the road and I am not.
Some day I would love to leave this concrete jungle and go somewhere that used a little common sense in laying out its urban areas so that alternate transportation is possible. What are these folks going to do when $10 a gallon gas has most riding bikes to work? Have fun commuting to Tampa for work from San Ann  on your bike fat ass.

Offline Big-E

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
I have enjoyed riding the roads through out the Tampa Bay area. I respect the rules of the road whether on my bike or in my truck. Reading the posts by the anti bike crowd, affirms my long held belief that the majority of the people who post these rants are miserable, pathetic, impatient, sniveling little bitches. Not a one of them would have the balls to get out of their car and discuss with me their thoughts on how they are entitled to the road and I am not.
Some day I would love to leave this concrete jungle and go somewhere that used a little common sense in laying out its urban areas so that alternate transportation is possible. What are these folks going to do when $10 a gallon gas has most riding bikes to work? Have fun commuting to Tampa for work from San Ann  on your bike fat ass.

So true Jonesy. If and when gas hits $10 a gallon i can easily bike the 15 miles to work. I dont think 90% of the people in my office can say the same. Guess that will be a wake up call.

Later,

Big-E

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD converted to guy bike
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
If and when price of gas will be $10/gal I can guarantee that there will be just as many cars on the road as there are today. Lets look back one year when gas went up to $4... guess what happened? That's right 350 some million people in usa had to drive a car to work regardless of how expensive it was to get to work. Only thing that will really make people stop driving is ability to fill up their cars when we run out of oil. At which point I can see people investing into donkeys and horses.

Riding a bike to work is actually not that bad. Billions of people do it every single day all around the world. In my case, while I do live 2 miles away from my office... there is this big dip and road is like a wind tunnel and of course its humid so I gave up on that idea altogether. Buuuuuut if I ever get my hands on a lay inside kind of bicycle.. with a few modifications I would not mind riding that to work.
http://cache.alttransport.com/uploads/2010/09/Picture-72.png
Ride within my safety limits

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
I bet a bike would make it 15  miles to work faster than a horse . My wife disagrees . I think she thinks all horses are as fast as the lone rangers is ::)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 07:31:19 AM »
If and when price of gas will be $10/gal I can guarantee that there will be just as many cars on the road as there are today. Lets look back one year when gas went up to $4... guess what happened? That's right 350 some million people in usa had to drive a car to work regardless of how expensive it was to get to work. Only thing that will really make people stop driving is ability to fill up their cars when we run out of oil. At which point I can see people investing into donkeys and horses.

Riding a bike to work is actually not that bad. Billions of people do it every single day all around the world. In my case, while I do live 2 miles away from my office... there is this big dip and road is like a wind tunnel and of course its humid so I gave up on that idea altogether. Buuuuuut if I ever get my hands on a lay inside kind of bicycle.. with a few modifications I would not mind riding that to work.
http://cache.alttransport.com/uploads/2010/09/Picture-72.png

The whole point of the article is that it is indeed that bad in the Tampa area. How many cyclists/pedestrians have been killed or injured this year alone? Tampa is one of the worst cities in the country in this regard. Just yesterday a woman was killed and her son seriously injured while walking in a crosswalk with blinking lights, in a neighborhood! Way to many people in this area need a cranial extraction from their rectum. Slow down, put away the cell phone, and quit texting. The world won't stop while your in the car.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: