Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Mountain Biking near Sky Valley - north Ga/ just south of NC  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Dan

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 08 Giant Trance X2
Mountain Biking near Sky Valley - north Ga/ just south of NC
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
Looking for any help finding a good mountain bike trail while we are up there this weekend. We will be staying in Sky Valley Georgia, which is literally about 10 miles south of North Carolina. I did some googling an came up with a couple different spots to ride, but looking here for some first or second hand information. If anyone  is familiar with this place, your input is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance-

Dan

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Mountain Biking near Sky Valley - north Ga/ just south of NC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:17:59 AM »
My G-Ma had a home in Sky Valley up until 3 years ago. Her driveway was in Georgia but the house was in N.C. I looked hard for a place to ride there but was unsuccesful. I seem to remember them having some kind of downhill trails there years ago but I can't find them now. When I was little we used to ski there but the slopes were shut down a few years back.

I think there are some trails near Tallulah Gorge. (sp) It's not too far. And I'm not sure but I think part of that cross Georgia race passed through either Clayton or Dillard which is real close.

My fam still has a place in Highlands so when we go there I take the road bike. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »
That looks like an out of the way area. The only trails I've rode that look relatively close to that area are the Jackrabbit trails over near Hayesville, NC, or head over to Brevard and ride Dupont or Pisgah.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Dan

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 10:03:53 AM »
Thanks guys - I have found a 2 or 3 places in Clayton, GA and Highlands, NC - so will probably try those two places. Should be interesting, as I have not rode anywhere other than everything at Boyette and Alafia. Can't wait.
Was recently in Ft Collins Colorado, and was jonesing bad when I watched guys unload their mountain bikes at Lory State Park...I had no bike there....

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:51 PM »
How about tsali straight up 28 in NC?

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
Thanks guys - I have found a 2 or 3 places in Clayton, GA and Highlands, NC - so will probably try those two places. Should be interesting, as I have not rode anywhere other than everything at Boyette and Alafia. Can't wait.
Was recently in Ft Collins Colorado, and was jonesing bad when I watched guys unload their mountain bikes at Lory State Park...I had no bike there....

What did you find in Highlands? I'll be there in Nov.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline bigpete

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »
Check out Woody's Bikes in Helen...www.helenga.org/woodys
I believe they have guided rides?
Have heard of many local trails around Hiawassee
Tip one for me in Helen, great Octoberfest.

Offline Dan

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

What did you find in Highlands? I'll be there in Nov.

Beer. If you love New Belgium Brewery's products, Highlands delivered. I found Fat Tire on tap, and many of my other favorites there and are now back home with me.
I did not find any trails though - but had no internet access at all while in the mountains in Sky Valley. We tried the visitor information center in Highlands, and found many hiking trails with incredible waterfalls, but no mountain biking. I did get in some trail riding, but it was just double track off road, but can't complain too much as the views were so spectacular that I got off the bike so often, I began to question whether we should have just walked it.
Gorgeous area, and with a little more planning (rather than last minute on this trip) I am sure we could have found some great places to ride. There was great food, great friends, and great beer to see us through this weekend.

Offline Dan

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
Check out Woody's Bikes in Helen...www.helenga.org/woodys
I believe they have guided rides?
Have heard of many local trails around Hiawassee
Tip one for me in Helen, great Octoberfest.

Wish we would have - got a message that my buddy there was drinking Fat Tire, 1554 and Mothership Wit on tap (all New Belgium beers) in Helen at the Octoberfest yesterday, but we had drive back to Tampa then. Love that stuff on tap.
Definitely next trip will do a little better research, now that I know the world wide web aint so world wide in the mountains.

Offline mpeagan

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized Hardrock, 2003
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
Here is a great link for places to ride.

Mike

Offline Dan

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »
Mike thank you- that is an awesome link. What do you do in Google Maps to get it to show biking locations like that?

Offline mpeagan

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized Hardrock, 2003
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
Dan,

Not sure how it was done.  This link was posted on the SORBA forum last year.  I just bookmarked it for furture reference.

Advertisement: