Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tuesday evening ride 3/13 "hole in the fence"  (Read 1806 times)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
Tuesday evening ride 3/13 "hole in the fence"
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:06 PM »
Hey everybody-got a pinch-flat tonight on Eubank Parkway. We changed the tube but pinched it while re-installing it (Damn it) so Marcel was kind enough to lend me a tube and I was able to ride back. While I was riding back I noticed it was losing air again and barely got back to my truck. When I got home I figured out the problem-I have been tightening the little nut around the stem to much and pulling the tube through the rim thus cutting the tube at the stem. We had to cut the ride short in fear of running out of light-my bad everybody-sorry about that. I just want to thank everyone who helped me fix my flat (twice-it took way to long) and sorry again for having to cut the ride short. Thanks again!
                                                                            Doug
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Tuesday evening ride 3/13 "hole in the fence"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:55:50 PM »
When I got home I figured out the problem-I have been tightening the little nut around the stem to much and pulling the tube through the rim thus cutting the tube at the stem.                                                                             Doug

To avoid this you don't actually need the little nut on the valve stem.  It's good to have if you have some sort of slippage issue with the tube, but otherwise it's one less thing to deal with when fixing a flat.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
5 months in between evening rides, and 2 flats. That stinks!

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
I know, I know. I felt like an idiot. By the way-I have been riding, just not at night!
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:26:19 PM »
hey doug.

stuff happens let it ride...  look at it this way..  a bad day on the trail is better than a good day most anywhere else...

... unless you hit the lotto, then maybe you could slide me some..  lol

-bob  ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 10:43:23 PM »
Thanks man!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:40:49 AM »
Yes!!!

I am convinced, a bad day riding beats sitting on the couch, and wishing you could be riding!!!!!!!
Thanks for the call earlier, you know I will be out there with you and the trusty hardtail as soon as the leg bone that is connected to the ankle bone that is connected to the foot bone, realize that they are suppose to all work together......

Bionic Bunny

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »
Yeap Doug has not missed a beat... Welcome back brother.....  You were rushing to fix that tire in fear of holding us up more that is why you pinch the first tube with the tire lever or with the rim.  It happens to me to specially when you have 10 people watch you change a tire.  I get all nervous and actually start shaking.... hehehehe...

It was no big deal returning.  I still think we would have been better off to finish the ride taking the pavement on flatwoods but you one thing I learned a long time ago is that you do NOT argue with the GRUFF!!!!  We don't call him the Gruff for nothing.  It turns out he was right since your tire started to loose air again. 

Offline janice

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »
How many swampers does it take to change a flat?  And how many tubes do you need to fix a flat?

I had fun watching!!

Janice

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
OMG!!!!!!!   Is it really you????  OMG...  there goes the neighborhood!!!  Hi Honey....  good to see you.  Again.

Everyone,
Introducing my partner in crime, my riding buddy, which I now have a hard time keeping up with.... Is Ms. Janice!!!!!   

Advertisement: