Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Riding with lower back pain ???  (Read 648 times)

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Riding with lower back pain ???
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »
anyone riding with low back pain from bulging / herniated discs. Back in 2004 i had a bulging disc at l5/s1 went to therapy and had a couple of injections it took about 6-8 months to get back to normal.

After being pain free for so long I kind of let my guard down, and as a result did it again. This time seems to be not as severe, ive taken about 2 weeks off but am missing the trails already. i bought a back brace to wear it's pretty flexible yet still offers some support.
 is anyone using anything in particular for the same problem.

Thanks

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Riding with lower back pain ???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
I have  this http://www.richmondchiro.net/health-conditions/spondylolisthesis/ and the disc's above and below this are shot. Riding is the only activity that does not aggravate it. Running, standing, and walking do, but riding does not.. this one has a good video of it, I have the Isthmic kind, broken bone http://www.spine-health.com/video/spondylolisthesis-symptoms-causes-and-treatment-options-video..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:03:26 PM by Darrinw2001 »

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »
As a low back sufferer (L4), being properly fit on your bike is essential.  It can/will be the difference between back pain, foot pain, numbness, etc.  Good luck.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
same here. L4/L5 L5/S1. biking causes no pain for me.

standing is the worst. 4-5 hours of standing on concrete and I can barley walk........ sucks.

Core core core. You must have a strong core to remain healthy. I say dump that brace ASAP. it only allows you to rely on external support - further weakening the area.

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
Thats a good idea about bike fit. I have always built my bikes by feel and what i thought was the right fit. But given my current condition and for longevity in the sport it seems a proper fitting would be the easiest place to start. My current favorite bike is a FS with 70/90 mm of rear travel and 90mm up front.  while i'm concerned about riding position as it relates to spine angles, im also concerned about absorbing roots and rocks . besides running low front and rear shock pressures, im wondering if i would get any added benefit from a suspension seat post.

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
my thought behind the brace was to maybe stop some compression , but i am wearing it to work today just to check fit. it feels pretty good when its on but as soon as it comes off you can feel the spine compress again and its like starting all over again.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
same here. L4/L5 L5/S1. biking causes no pain for me.

standing is the worst. 4-5 hours of standing on concrete and I can barley walk........ sucks.

Core core core. You must have a strong core to remain healthy. I say dump that brace ASAP. it only allows you to rely on external support - further weakening the area.
copy catter....   Same here L5 herniated.  I do monthly chiro adjustments and sometimes more often.  Proper bike fit for sure.  But more important is core work.  I been slacking a bit on the last one and I been paying for it.  I have to stop about every 2-3 hrs of riding and do a self adjustment/stretch to be able to ride another 2-3 hrs...  Sometimes a lot sooner.  Good luck.

From time to time, I ride my Single Speed bike fully rigid.  I actually think that riding ss/rigid is better for my lower back.  Not so much for my old wrist injuries so I have added a front 80mm fork back. 

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
i haven't been to a chiropractor yet but last week the disc was pinching a nerve and shooting down to my ankle, so on a suggestion i went to a physical therapist in st. pete that use a robotic arm to lengthen short muscles and in turn relives disc pain.
so i sat in this machine for about an hour and when i got out all the pain was out of my leg and now just sits in my low back. The machine is a little pricey about $90 per hour but i'm trying to get a prescription and have my insurance cover some of it.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »
You may need chiro work instead...  Most insurances cover up to 45 visits a year without referral.  Just 20/25 a visit depending on your copayment.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »
Hey murf -- I'm not a chiropractor, but I go to one about once a month. I go even if my back isn't hurting. I think of it as prevention. My chiro is on the less aggressive side. She doesn't accept any kind of insurance, but then again it's only $25 a visit, less if you buy more in advance. She's very busy, but if you live close to Tampa, I'd be happy to pass her name along to you. PM me if you want it.

And I'd agree with many of the other writers: core, core, core. I should remember to take that advice myself. Swimming often works for some people, too. I've never tried rolfing, but I've heard good things.

I also read John Sarno's book "Mind over Back Pain." It's controversial, but I found that it helped put things in perspective.

Good luck.

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
thanks rockhopper pm sent

Advertisement: