Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Opinions of SWAMP  (Read 1652 times)

Offline BeatTheBabby

• Huffy Rider
    • HalfBreed Productions Extreme Sports Videos and Photography
  • My Bike: 2008 Eastern Slash
Opinions of SWAMP
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:17 AM »
I know nobody wants to hear this but....

Due to alot of the SWAMP riders in the areas attitudes for the last year or so, 8 out of 10 riders do NOT support SWAMP, outside of the praise for the excellent trail work. There are alot of members that treat SWAMP like a biker gang, provoking and bad mouthing other people (especially anyone NOT in SWAMP), deterring people from attending any rides or events in the area NOT organized by them and so on.  Some of the core members are nice guys (Garry, Rick, Jeff ect) but the newer members and alot of the "roadie" members have complete crap attitudes.  While myself appreciates the trail work and new trails, I refuse to enter the buracracy of membership with a group that makes outsiders feel crappy.  This is a feeling shared by many.  I met at least 40 people @ Alafia Saturday at the BBQ.  Alot of people expressed the same feelings about SWAMP.  Im sure you'll flame the hell out of me for this, but at least now the members that dont treat others bad know why SWAMP's recruiting is slowing rapidly.  Have a good day everyone.  See ya Sunday @ FSC!!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:17:12 AM by mksandoz, Reason: Split from Bike Bash thread »
-I know the pieces fit, cause I watched them fall away....

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
Re: Opinions of SWAMP
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
8 out of 10 riders do NOT support SWAMP

8 out of 10 riders surveyed where?

..alot of members that treat SWAMP like a biker gang, provoking and bad mouthing other people (especially anyone NOT in SWAMP), deterring people from attending any rides or events in the area NOT organized by them and so on

Really?  Provoking what? I've never seen or heard of that type of behavior, and I've been to quite a few Swamp rides and events over the years...

...a group that makes outsiders feel crappy.

Join the club and don't be an "outsider".  But seriously, I don't get this.  I am not a big 'joiner' of large groups myself, but I've never been intentionally made to feel uncomfortable by any Swamper, or made to feel unwelcome at any Swamp ride or event, before I was a member, or after.  Over the past 13 years I've been in and out of 'membership' several times.  Can't recall being treated any differently during any of those times.  Maybe I just hang with a different group of riders than you have been exposed to...I know that on many club rides we have come across people on the trails who were not riding with the club on that day, and were encouraged by ride guides to join us.  Curious, out of the 40 people you met at Alafia, how many had 'bad' things to say about the club? 4 or 5? 10 or 12? 20?

...buracracy of membership...
Not sure what kind of bureaucracy is involved.  You send in your money, get a member card (and associated benefits thereof) and go ride/work/party with the group.  Or without.  Your choice. 

While it's not unreasonable to sometimes meet people that you don't get along with, as a whole I don't see the Swamp Club as being made up of those people.  I'm pretty sure you could find plenty of folks in the club to hang with and probably have a good time.  Just my opinion.
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:38:51 PM »
I've been a part of SWAMP for the past 1.5yrs(been riding for many more), have never been to a SWAMP event or group ride.
Everyone i've met for the most part was cool.

Main reason why i joined:

Support the trails by paying the HUGE $20/yr for the great work these boys do.

Wish i could do more but its very hard for me due to schedule conflicts.

So the next best thing that i can do is to throw props to SWAMP every chance I can by promoting the trails on our videos & Websites by showing the world how great and BAD ASS the SWAMP Trails are.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:43:59 PM by ProEdgeBiker.com »

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
Love it or hate it...I doubt we'd be riding even 10% of the current trails without SWAMP. 

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
I've been a member of SWAMP for about 2 months now. I feel very welcomed by SWAMP and non SWAMP riders alike. No bubbles no troubles.

Though honestly, the only reason I joined was to help support the cause. I could care less about the members.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:50:57 PM by DieselBorg#311 »
Powered By and

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »
I know nobody wants to hear this but....

Due to alot of the SWAMP riders in the areas attitudes for the last year or so, 8 out of 10 riders do NOT support SWAMP, outside of the praise for the excellent trail work. There are alot of members that treat SWAMP like a biker gang, provoking and bad mouthing other people (especially anyone NOT in SWAMP), deterring people from attending any rides or events in the area NOT organized by them and so on.  Some of the core members are nice guys (Garry, Rick, Jeff ect) but the newer members and alot of the "roadie" members have complete crap attitudes.  While myself appreciates the trail work and new trails, I refuse to enter the buracracy of membership with a group that makes outsiders feel crappy.  This is a feeling shared by many.  I met at least 40 people @ Alafia Saturday at the BBQ.  Alot of people expressed the same feelings about SWAMP.  Im sure you'll flame the hell out of me for this, but at least now the members that dont treat others bad know why SWAMP's recruiting is slowing rapidly.  Have a good day everyone.  See ya Sunday @ FSC!!!!

Since im a newb with tubes i'll chime in. The first ride I did with SWAMP was back in March when i got my bike. I felt welcomed when i first started riding and have meet a lot of great people along the way. Most impotently it has taught me how to DROP THE HAMMER!!!!

I'll be out there Sunday as well.....

Big-E

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
Most impotently it has taught me how to DROP THE HAMMER!!!!

Just be careful not to drop it on your junk and you won't be 'impotent'.... ;)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »
When you don't get along with anyone, is it everyone else, or is it you?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »

Doh!! Spelling = fail... you know slang... pronounced im-po-tently!!! yea thats it!!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »

Doh!! Spelling = fail... you know slang... pronounced im-po-tently!!! yea thats it!!
HaHa, I did'nrt see that ;D Nice catch jimn :)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 06:35:08 AM »
Zombie Kid Likes Turtles

Offline BeatTheBabby

• Huffy Rider
    • HalfBreed Productions Extreme Sports Videos and Photography
  • My Bike: 2008 Eastern Slash
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:10 AM »
When you don't get along with anyone, is it everyone else, or is it you?

Funny thing is, I get along with EVERYONE, outside of the little click I speak of.  Some SWAMP members are very good friends of mine.  Funny, they express theSAME concerns withdisrespect towards others as I do.  I just dont get along with close minded people, and SWAMP is full of them now......

Oh yeah, and out of the 40 or so people who came??  The answer to your question is....  about 10 to 15 of them had negitive things to say about SWAMP, without my provoking...

I do agree with one thing though..  Without them, we would NOT be riding some of the best trails in Florida.  For that i thank them.  Still doesnt give you a pass to be a d!@khead.....
-I know the pieces fit, cause I watched them fall away....

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »
"I like turtles!".....when they are not d!@kheads.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Interesting topic.  I think I have been a member of SWAMP for about 4-5 years.  Like most people, I feel it is the least I can do ($30 family membership) in appreciation for the trail work.  I am not a big trail work guy (maybe 2-3 days a year), but I feel it is important.  My experience is similar to a lot of you.  I joined SWAMP, started going on the Sunday rides to have someone to ride with and learn the trails.  Once I became a better rider and found people I enjoyed riding with, we branched off on our own.  Now I have a group of 5-6 guys that I regularly ride with and don't do the SWAMP rides.  The only reason none of us ride with SWAMP is because we have tailored our group and rides to do exactly what we want, when we want.  Maybe I am to much of a "glass is half full guy", but what SWAMP offers is pretty amazing when you think about it.  Guided rides on the best trails we have, and they occur on a regular basis at different trails, and for ALL levels.  I have seen an "A" rider on a SWAMP ride volunteer on the spot to take a group of "D" riders (that is how inexperienced they were), on a guided tour of Boyette.  I wouldn't do that for total strangers on one of my only days to ride.  I am truly sorry, you (beatthebaby) have had a negative experience with SWAMP, but last I heard, there are 500 members.  I am more than confident that you can find a large group to get along with.  In any group setting, you are going to have personality conflicts, but I believe that you are painting with a very broad stroke on this one.  YMMV.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »
If there are problems which need to be solved then shine a light on them, in a collaborative spirit seeking best resolution.  But if one's feelings are hurt and one wants to whine with an expression of generalized opinion it amounts to nothing more than dramamongering and one is cordially invited to take that $%!* elsewhere.

Advertisement: