Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: FSC#5 - Markham Park, what is it like?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
FSC#5 - Markham Park, what is it like?
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:43:15 AM »
So our next stop if Markham and I never been there.  I heard the stories about it being harder than most trails at Alafia.  So, is it true?  I seen a few video but are too blury or make me dizzy to get some sort of idea.  Some of those wooden bridges/contraptions are intimidating.  So anyone has any good comparisions those trails?  Better yet, any hd (ala proedgebiker.com) type of video?

P.S.  Yes, they call me SandPine for a reason... anything harder and I'll probably be carrying my bike through it :-)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:51:34 AM by SandPine »

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: FSC#5 - Markham Park, what is it like?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »
Best ones I seen but his camara is pointed down too much and the sun rays argggg... but anyway, good clarity.

Markham Park MTB May 2010 HD

Markham Park MTB: Highlights Pt 2 HD

Markham Park MTB: Highlights Pt 3 HD

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:30 AM »
SP: I was at Markam two months ago, trust me, there is a reason you get extra points for going there to race.

I would not. But I'm fat,old and slow. You'll be there, so I will advise what to expect.

Narrow trails, many,many short stepup type hills and a few drop offs or 2 feet while going down, rocks, more rocks, narrow trails with deep grass on each side which hide more rocks,narrow trails, more rocks, some cool and fun man made ( not very high) board walks, wall rides etc.

Think John Brown trail at Santos, only narrow skinny trails and a lot more rocks.

I think when the city decided to develope the park, they finished up by saying "ok what do we do with the dump out back? And someone said, I know lets give it to the Mountain bikers, they will make trails out there.

Having said that, it is very different and fun to ride, but to race, it's gonna be carnage, locals will kill it, out of towners will return home with thanks for our trails.

I suspect that the race will sometimes come out of those tight trails and run around some of the lakes to give opportunities to rest or pass, I would hope so anyway.

Did I mention rocks?

PS. Best way to get up the step ups ( over large and small rocks) is ATTACK! Speed is what you need.

Have fun!
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »
yup! Videos pretty much cover it.

Did I lie?

ps. Get the hole shot or have fun trying to pass on those trails...

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
single track looks like fun, not fan of the wooden boardwalks... we'll see what we see on race day.  I think th15pts is due to the distance most of us have to drive to get there....who knows.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:39:14 AM »
The 15 points is to make you go to the Miami area :P Same thing when the race was at Oletta ;)

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
Only bright side is that when you're done and if not bleeding, you can head to the beach and recover...

But Bleeding is a real possibility.

I was astounded at the speed of the local guys on their Tuesday afternoon ride when I was there.
Locals will have a huge advantage.

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »
Damn! I have a lot going on on Saturday, but I might need to find a way to get down there to pre-ride Saturday. If I do the wife will have to come down later Saturday evening after me. Is anyone down to carpool? If so, when do you plan on leaving?