Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trips For Kids Tampa needs your help this weekend!!!  (Read 737 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Trips For Kids Tampa needs your help this weekend!!!
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
Greetings,

We have a big weekend coming up and really need a lot of help. 

On  Saturday we are holding a bike maintenance work party to get all of our  bikes back in shape so they are ready for our ride the following day  with 20 kids at Alafia River State Park.  I have been doing this by  myself for the most part all year.  It usually takes me about 12 hours  the day before a ride to perform safety checks on all the bikes, make  needed repairs, and load up the equipment in the trailer so it is ready  to go the next morning.  I really enjoy it and don't mind doing  it by  myself but we have been doing so much riding in the last few months   and our bikes have been taking such a beating there is more work than I  can handle on my own.  Please come out to our workshop and help if  you  are available.  The work party will go from 9:oo am to 1:00 pm but I  will be out there all day and most of the night so come by anytime and  lend any help you can. I will be providing lunch for everyone  around  noon. You don't have to have experience working on bikes to help.   There will plenty of things for everyone to do, even kids, so bring  your families along and enjoy a fun day working on bikes and hanging  out with people who love bikes!

Then on Sunday we have our ride  with 20 kids from the Pathfinder's Organization at Alafia River State  park.  Many of our usual ride volunteers have other obligations that  day and can't make it so I would really like to see some new faces for  this ride.  We have to have a ratio of one volunteer for every three  kids we take out and as of now we have not met that ratio for this  ride.  Please come out Sunday and join us for a fun day at Alafia with  a great group of kids! 

If  you would like to come out to one or both of these events please get  back with me as soon as possible to help me with my planning for these  events. 

[/color]Email-  chris@mtbyouthride.org  Phone- 813-210-2013
[/color]

Saturday November 6th
Bike Maintenance Work Party
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
10500 Bridgewood Dr
Riverview Fl, 33578

Sunday November 7th
Pathfinder Outing
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Alafia River State Park
14100 CR 39
Lithia Fl, 33547

Thank you,

Chris Kiddy
Director
Trips For Kids Tampa

p.s

I know SWAMP has a big work day at Alafia on Saturday to get ready for the Fat Tire Festival so I dont want to encourage anyone who was planning on attending not to, but I will be at our workshop all day so if you have time after the trail workday and you are in our neck of the woods stop by and check out what we are doing! 

Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Re: Trips For Kids Tampa needs your help this weekend!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
The message I posted previously was taken from a Trips For Kids email I sent out to our contact list.... One of the persons on our email list is Mike from God's Pedal Power Ministry.  Mike has a shop located in the heart of Tampa in a very low-income area.  He gets donated bikes from all over the county and fixes them up and gives them away to people in need of transportation to get to work and school.  He also makes repairs to their bikes so they can keep getting to work and school.  I just wanted to share the response I got from him with you.... for anyone out there who is handy with a wrench looking for a way to give back to those that are less fortunate please consider contacting Mike and giving him a hand every once in a while.  They are working on bikes every Tuesday and Thursday evening.   His email is MOlsen@tampabay.rr.com   

"Hi Chris, it sounds like you are doing a good job. God’s Pedal  Power Ministry is seeing between 35 and 45 people each Tuesday and Thursday  evening now, and each bike has more than three problems on average. We now have  about 350 people on our list who are looking for a free bike to try to find  work or get to school. My wife and I are taking the weekend off  to attend a wedding in Key West, so we will not be able to help, but if you  find some people who like to help make bike repairs, please give them my  email…..we are just under water helping people with needs.

Blessings,
Mike "

[/size]
[/font][/size][/color][/font]
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »
Hey Chris,
  I just saw this message.  I hope you got some volunteers for tomorrow, it seems like a tough time to get people with the FTF coming up.  My wife already cleared me to come by and help you for 2 hours or so tomorrow, probably be in around 10ish.  Hope to see some more folks, Art already said no Alafia workday!!
   erik c

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:58:09 PM »
Awesome Eric, if you have any trouble finding the place give me a call, 813-210-2013

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
Sorry Erik, I replied to that message from my phone and realized I spelled your name wrong! :o

Anyone one else who wants to join us tomorrow even if its just to stop and have lunch... come on out!  It looks like we are going to have a good group, and a few of the volunteers are bringing their kids along and some fishing poles ( we are on the Alafia River) so the kids can fish while we get the bikes ready. So feel free to bring your little ones... we also have a nice little playground for them to play on.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »
Wish I could be there, hope you are able to get those bikes up and running!

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Thats alright Darrin, now that people know you wont be there we might have a few more show up! ;D

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
Wish I could be there, hope you are able to get those bikes up and running!

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as they keep the tools away from me!    I really want to use the spoke wrench!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »
true, See Erik is already coming! LOL!

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
Thats alright Darrin, now that people know you wont be there we might have a few more show up! ;D

fo sho! now i'll be there 100%!

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Thank you Jim Deluca,Coty Deluca, Erik Clark, Michael Adam, Maria Keith, and Mike Keith for coming out today and lending a hand!  We not only got all 17 bikes we needed for the ride tomorrow fixed up and tuned  but we even got a couple of extra bikes done I didnt think we would get to! 

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement: