Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: La Ruta de los Conquistadores (conqueror's rote)  (Read 458 times)

Offline tico92

• First Bike
  • My Bike: giant
La Ruta de los Conquistadores (conqueror's rote)
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
From november 17th and next 4 days in Costa Rica,here is a short comment from Brent Sparkman  he training in tallahasse fl
Brent Sparkman has mounted a task to finish what is considered the toughest mountain bike race in the world.

La Ruta de los Conquistadores, or The Route of the Conquerors, was recently rated by Time magazine as one of the ten most difficult tests of human endurance on the planet.

"I honestly think La Ruta chose me more than I chose it. I was looking for a challenge that was something more than a marathon or riding 100 miles on a bike. But if I knew then what I know now, I might not have chosen La Ruta."

The four day treck is more than just a cycling event. It's an adventure race, that takes those who dare, through 9 microclimates and up 24,000 feet of Costa Rican terrain.

Of the more than 300 who start , about half drop out during day one.

"The mental aspect is tough. Just managing a ride on a bike for 8-10 hours, the nutrition aspect," said Sparkman. "This is a four day race, you can't leave it all on the course on day one or you'll have a tough time."

Via Skype, Brent and the man who created la Ruta set up his training schedule and a computer system attached to his bicycle records his efforts.

For eight months he's put in 12-15 hours of bike time each weekend and another 12-15 during the week.

He's fighting an uphill battle since the average slopes he'll climb in Costa Rica are more than twice as steep as his most difficult practice slope in Tallahassee.

But he says he's ready.

"I'm going to finish the four days. After all of the commitment from friends and family, they'll have to carry me off the course before I don't finish, I guarantee you that," said Sparkman.

this year more than 18 countries and 18a racers take the start line you can follow in
http://larutadelosconquistadores.com/info/

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: La Ruta de los Conquistadores (conqueror's rote)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:08:22 AM »
This one is on my "to-do" list.

After Tour Divide, however.

I wonder if they'ed offer an ITT option along with stages (for those of us with a "mental deficit"). That woudl make it interesting........

Best of luck to Brent!

Offline tico92

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
For this year "La Ruta" is over get ready for next year,next year la ruta come on september.....

check al pictures on http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=294797&id=108188574273&l=780521f4d1

check videos and interviews on http://www.cyclingdirt.org/

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »
I would be interested in obtaining a gpx of the route and just go tour it, solo or with a couple of friends.

Offline tico92

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:44:35 PM »
you can get the gps tracks from la ruta de los conquistadores home page you can pick any one of 4 days im not recommended the day one,the track pass in middle of the jungle so is a little bit dangerous,the organization make few times a year 1 or 2 stages from la ruta, they give you assistence like the real race.

Advertisement: