Author Topic: 29er Hardtail Suggestions  (Read 783 times)

Offline yerodtr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
29er Hardtail Suggestions
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »
I am looking at purchasing a 29er HT. Currently I'm quite happy with my Trance full suspension trail bike but would like to have a 29er to ride as well. I test rode a 29er during FTF and I can see the benefits offered in specific situations.

I'm thinking this bike will be secondary bike so I want to keep the price point between $1,000 - $1,500.

Any suggestions? For the price range, I was looking at the Specialized Rockhopper Pro, TREK Cobia, TREK, X-Caliber, and the Gary Fisher X-Caliber.

Are there some other 29er brands that aren't as well known that offer a good product in that price range?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Re: 29er Hardtail Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
What kind of benefits did you find?

Offline yerodtr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:38:20 AM »
It was quicker in specific situations. Specifically, it did great on Ridgeline. Very quick once at speed and kept the momentum. Having a bigger contact patch with the ground also yielded an appreciable difference in handling and climbing. And of course, it really smoothed out bumps/roots/rocks/etc.

BUT .... I did not like it on North Creek. I'm pretty sure I would be a good bit quicker on my Trance than the 29er Anthem I rode. The nimbleness isn't quite there and when you have situations where you have to slow down and accelerate, the 26 is going to be much quicker/responsive.

So I would like to get one to take out every now and then to enjoy the trails in a different light. The 29er aspect and the hardtail aspect.

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Rob Rides For Pink - TD Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »
for that price, Motobecane has an XT/XTR level 29er. I have the steel version and love it... but you can only buy steel as a frame-set right now. If you want to part with a little more $$, you can get the Ti version.

I have been pounding on Moto's for almost 4 years now and am absolutely convinced they are a steal of a deal!

here is the XT/XTR build: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_pro_xi.htm

here is the steel frame: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1620

Online mellowme17

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
are you looking to build your own or buy complete?

there are a ton of differnet options out there for every rider, i guess depends on your riding style have you only riden the one 29er?

Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline yerodtr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »
I don't care to buy complete vs build. Just need to stay within budget. Building would actually be more fun, just figured that path is usually quite pricey. Think it could be done in that price range?

I have only ridden the one 29er. It was a 2011 Giant Anthem 29er. My riding style is all over the place. One day I will be doing Gatorback at Alafia, next I'm in the middle doing everything at Boyette, and later I'll be doing longer rides at Wilderness Park.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Although there are some exceptions, keep in mind a cheap 29er wont be much different than a cheap 26er. Cheap components such as wheels, brakes, etc. will definitely affect the whole ride. I thought Id get a cheap 29er as well and it has cost me a bit more than my FS 26er now that it is setup the way I want. Look for the best deal on worthy components and spend some on the wheelset and youll be happy.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Online mellowme17

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:22:24 PM »
I meant riding style with you as a individual, not the trials you ride on…like a single speed rider wont ride the same as person with a 5in travel bike… frame selection is like tire selection….everyone has their opinion with them.
I am currently riding a D660 and it’s a pretty nimble bike that encourages you to push harder. Much different feeling then the Chumba I had.

Yes you can do a build a bike around that price range. just dont rush it. end of year deals are already starting to kick off!

Online mellowme17

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »
Although there are some exceptions, keep in mind a cheap 29er wont be much different than a cheap 26er. Cheap components such as wheels, brakes, etc. will definitely affect the whole ride. I thought Id get a cheap 29er as well and it has cost me a bit more than my FS 26er now that it is setup the way I want. Look for the best deal on worthy components and spend some on the wheelset and youll be happy.

Wheelset makes a world of a difference. 

Offline yerodtr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
Agreed, the wheelset makes a HUGE difference.

What are the thoughts on the Rockhopper? This trim comes with DT Swiss 485 wheels. Can't decide if it's a decent bike for the pricepoint (or if it would be enjoyable to ride on the trails).
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52810&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

Again, the "plan" is for this to be a bike that is used on the trails every now and then as something different, to tool around the neighborhood and ride to my buddies house just down the road and serve as a backup bike if the Trance were out of commission for any reason.

Offline yerodtr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
Oh, and regarding riding style, I think I would prefer to stick with a geared setup with a suspension fork. Not overly interested in a singlespeed or full rigid at the moment.

Thanks!

Offline Luis

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Waltworks 29
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:20 PM »
Again, the "plan" is for this to be a bike that is used on the trails every now and then as something different, to tool around the neighborhood and ride to my buddies house just down the road and serve as a backup bike if the Trance were out of commission for any reason.

Many that have spoken those words have sold all their 26" bikes.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
Lots of great brands out there aside from Trek, GF, Giant, etc.  Redline, for example, makes some great budget minded complete 29ers...everything from a rigid SS steel to an aluminum geared w/Reba fork. 

Geometry can differ greatly between manufacturers so it is important you research and ride as many different bikes as you can to make sure it works for you.  GF's G2 geometry is a prime example.  Some people hate it and others love it.  You won't know until you throw a leg over it and pedal it around a bit. 

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
Many that have spoken those words have sold all their 26" bikes.

Very true.  I'm one of those people.