Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How much guff is my family gonna get?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Pat AKA 2Swift

• First Bike
    • Where I hang when the waters are cold.
How much guff is my family gonna get?
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
I have been reading and trying to learn all I can for a couple of days and all I have to say is up on the site. It is very informative and all but I am concerned about my Family and attitudes towards the so called Walmart Family on the trails.
Is there really anything I should be concerned about or is this just typical  forum talk regarding newbies....Cause God forbid I go and outfit my Family with 10k worth of gear..."Poser style" just to find out it's not for us.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: How much guff is my family gonna get?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
Look, plenty of people started on bikes they can afford.  Most of us are now riding bikes that are MUCH more expensive.  But the core of biking remains.  If you are having a good time, are safe, and it doesn't cost a fortune, who cares.  You will probably find as I did, the less expensive bikes don't last as long on "real" MTB rides.  I started with a real bike for my wife, then oldest daughter, and finally (thanks to MM) my son.  Then handed my wifes down to eldest daughter, eldest daughter to youngest daughter and now they all have capable bikes.  This didn't happen overnight and we are looking forward to going to Santos on Mon.  Hope it all works out.  The bigger problem will be if they ALL fall in love with it!  ;D   Good luck.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »
I agree with Coach! I dont think anyone is going to harass you but once you fall in love with mountain biking and the bug hits its going to get expensive really fast :). Just go out and ride, Just be careful especially on the black trails.

Have fun,

Big-E

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
If someone does give you a hard time, or sneer at your bikes, think of it as an education.  That's a person you don't want to ride with/hang with.

My gosh, there's no reason to go out and spend a lot of money until you find out that you love it.  When you decide this is for you, you will find your way to a better bike.  Craigslist can be your best friend.

Yesterday my friend Nancy and I were at Boyette, taking a break on the benches by the Abysses.  Two people passed by on the double track on rattling bikes.  We kinda snickered because the amount of noise the bikes were making was funny, but we wouldn't look down on who was riding them.  They were having a good time and that is all that matters.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
I dont think anyone is going to give you a hard time. They dont have to cause soon you will find out the limitations of your bike. That also depends how and if you get bit by the bug.
I dont think you will be doing any black trails as your bike wont be confidence inspiring, and your gear ratios wont allow much climbing unless your abilities are natural. And if THAT is the case your bike can kill you. But dude if your just trail riding at flatwoods with your family youll be ok. But after a month ride my bike and you will see what I mean. You will get no guff on the trail as you will see that people will go out of their way for you. Your only gaff was your mentioning a walmart bike on a MMountain bike enthusiast forum. Some people will want to have fun with you for that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:29:40 PM by MM »

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
Mountain biking is about having fun and even more fun with your family.
Safety is always paramount.

So go out and ride and enjoy!  Really, who cares what others think about your bikes, etc.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »
Sounds like you been watching the shoutbox too much.  Ignore 99.99% of what is said on it.  :-)

As for the trail guff, you will get if you are not wearing helmets.  Bike not so much if any at all.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
The common theme here, as it should be, is enjoy the trails and don't ride over your head.  Just have fun with it.  My first encounter to mountain biking was on a 6 speed beach cruiser.  I loved the trails and it wasn't long that I was asking questions and figuring out which steed would take me on more difficult trails and longer outings.  I still have my first hardtail that I bought and the only thing original on it is the frame.  I also have a sweet full suspen. bike and road bike.  Had another F/S bike, cruiser bike, road bikes. Had 5 at one time, down to 3 now.  It can be addicting!!

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
Sounds like you been watching the shoutbox too much.  Ignore 99.99% of what is said on it.  :-)

As for the trail guff, you will get if you are not wearing helmets.  Bike not so much if any at all.
True , ignore the shoutbox. But boy is it fun!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:16:49 PM »
I a few Do's and Don'ts on the trails and the Forum...

Do - ask questions
Do - have fun
Do - Be safe
Do - ride trails you are comfortable with

Don't - listen to people who look down their noses at you...

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
Most real mountain bikers won't sneer at you.  Ride what you got and have a good time.  Your attitude is exactly right, make sure you like the sport before you drop big money.  Best advice I can give regarding your equipment is make sure it is sized properly.  A bike that is the proper size, regardless of the cost, will feel and handle much better.  That will = :)

Oh and read Darrin's post . . . twice :)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
"Poser style"

Damn.  He knows about me already.  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Pat AKA 2Swift

• First Bike

Offline Pat AKA 2Swift

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:54 PM »
Truly I thank you all for the reply's...And we might just see you around Trout Creek Park tomorrow.Pat

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
Looking back when I started riding off road, my 1st bike was a $20 used rigid Wal-mart special that was like 4 years old.. I was so out of shape that even the easy trails were a challenge. I starting riding to have something to do outdoors on a regular basis with my son when he 1st started riding a bike. We both got the fever even though it was a challenge.
I bought and sold like 5 different (and a little better quality every time) used bikes over the next 2 years and got better and better the more we rode. Stepped up and bought a brand new full suspension Giant Trance 3 last year (on close out) and love it. The only bad thing that is happening now is that my son, who is now 9, is a better rider than me now. :)

over the last 4 years we have encountered lots of people, most are great and love this sport/hobby/obsession and are willing to help others. But just like in anything you do there are some jerks who forget that they were new to this once as well. like I said before, ignore those dirty looks and snide remarks and enjoy the trails. I suggest finding people who are like yourself that ride with their families and kids, as it will make the whole experiencegreat for the entire family!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:03:25 PM by Forum Manager »

Advertisement: