Author Topic: Fast going downhills  (Read 171 times)

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Cannondale Rush Feminine 3
Fast going downhills
« on: November 20, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
Just got back from my first road ride in San An, did a little over 30 miles.  Those hills are something.

I've got an XXS frame for my bike.  The tires are smaller than usual, 650C vs the more common 700C.

I'm short and kinda round.  The two other women I were riding with are also short but not nearly as round as I am.  They are not round at all, would say skinny, actually.  Their bikes both have regular size tires.

Anyway, all things being equal, I would fly by them on the downhills.  We had no clue why.

Is it my (uh) extra weight adding momentum to the downhill?  Would having smaller tires have anything to do with it?  Lower center of gravity?

Just wondering...

thanks

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Fast going downhills
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:14:28 PM »
Weight has something to do with, as does a better aero position. Perhaps you have a better aero position than they do, being shorter maybe?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:44:56 AM »
Just coasting, I usually pull past the skinnier guys on big downhills. It's a combination of cross section density (greater mass in a smaller outline) and drag (wheel bearings, tire pressure and quality). I doubt I out aero a freight truck but I have a lot of mass in that big outline so it seems to balance out. Plus I have reasonably nice wheels and tires (nothing major money but nice).

Offline psychlyst

• Huffy Rider
  • I eat paste...
  • My Bike: 06 Specialized FSR XC Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
+1 on what Clinton sez..I ride San Ann alot and I find on the downhills,the bigger guys can roll past me all the time...I'm 6'3 and weigh 180,but these other 2 in particular are a bit heavier but still solid...my bike is lighter than theirs,so I assume its their weight momentum...oh,and I kick their asses climbing though! :P