Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Best trail for young children?  (Read 689 times)

Offline okogood

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29'er
Best trail for young children?
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
Hi,
My family is thinking about trying one of these trails this weekend. We are all beginner riders and my son is 6 years old and rides a 20" mountain bike. Any recommendations for the best beginner trails for us to try out? We are used to riding the Preserves (mostly Robinson) over here in Bradenton. Thanks in advance.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Best trail for young children?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
WTA Trails

Check out this link of some video from there:
http://proedgebiker.com/mountain-bike-hd-videos/wta/

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
Yellow trail at santos.  At 6 he is ready to experience some relatively smooth flat twisty trail.  I have been rasing mt bikers for 11 years, ;)

Offline JamesinIT

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disk 29er
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
Both of these are great options.

Personally I'd take him to the Morris Bridge Road section and stick to the main trails.

The yellow trails at Santos would be good as well.

If you go to Boyette, take the two track to the first fireroad on the right and follow it down till you get to the Quads. If you feel spicy after that try Palmetto Cable and East/west Meadows.

At Alafia the River loop and Sandpine would be fun. If he does good on those, then look at rock garden (stay off the black loops!)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
While WTA is good for absolute beginner children, no doubt alafia is even better cause it offers frequent breaks and a bathroom and a wider range of terrian. Rock garden  (easy loop) is the best because it offers elevation changes. The area around ( but not the actually on ) shelly's loop is great for teaching them how to climb and decend with their brakes. My boys did all that with 16 inch bikes and come christmas time they will be riding new 24 in bikes.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »
Morris Bridge/Trout Creek/Flatwoods parks, AKA Wilderness parks are the best for true beginners. bring plenty of water, and make sure Everyone wears a helmet, Adults included.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:58:59 AM by Forum Manager »

Offline okogood

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29'er
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
Thanks for all of your help guys. We ended up going to Alafia on Saturday. Being our first time outside of the Preserve trail setting the "easy" trails were a little more advanced than we expected. Other than getting lost a couple of times we did alright. My 6 year old actually did better than my wife who has gotten out of biking shape and was very sore after riding her bike without front suspension. The people we met were awesome and extremely helpful both pointing us in the right direction and letting us pick their brains about bikes and local trails. We are going to try the Wilderness Park Trails next time. Santos is kind of far from Bradenton to take a one day trip right now. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Itchiee

• First Bike
  • Outside the inner circle
  • My Bike: is much better then yours...
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
Wilderness Main Trail is fairly easy (watch for sand traps!) compared to Alafia easy trails.
Alafia is a more advance MTB trail park (and awesome) in my opinion.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:13:17 AM »
What they all said above.  Yes Alafia EASY is very rooty and will put a beating on anyone.  If you rather go south, try Alva by Ft. Myers.  They ahve tons of lat very well groomed and well kept trails.  They also have a real nice pump track that is a sure hit with your kid.  Give them a try:  http://www.leeparks.org/facility-info/facility-details.cfm?Project_Num=0253

Offline Paul Harris

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
I took my wife and 11-year-old daughter to Wilderness Park. Neither had ever done anything like it. My 13-year-old son is a novice. We had a blast, starting at Trout Creek (did a picnic; nice facilities) and made a big loop in about 3 hours including the picnic. We shortcut on the paved Flatwoods loop from the west end to the Y. And then cut over to Hole in the Fence via Eubanks to complete the loop on the south side of Morris Bridge.

As already mentioned, stay on Main and you'll have a great ride for kids. - PH

Advertisement: