Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: GF HiFi  (Read 1238 times)

Offline jro

• First Bike
GF HiFi
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »
Just rode a GF HiFi and a Rocky Mountain.  The other bikes I have tested include the Trance, Sumpjumper and Blur.  I have to say I really liked the GF HiFi.  Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this bike.  I have not found a lot of threads out there on it so any input is welcome.  I think BeerCan told me to ride a GF - he was right they do have a different feel.

Thanks

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: GF HiFi
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:23:38 PM »
I really like the GF geometry.  My cake was way fun to ride but I had way to many bearing issues with it.  I probably would be riding a hifi now if I did not get such a good deal on my titus.  The hifi has a horst link so it is going to soak up the bumps and be a good climber.  I also think all 3 models are well speced for their price bracket.  My only problem with the hifi is its proprietary fork.  Until (if) other manufacturers make a fork to that spec you are stuck with the manitou.  My friend has a pro and he loves it.

I really like the trance also, I think last years model was better speced for the money but they are still a good value.  The suspension is a rip off of the dw link, which some argue is the best suspension available.  Everyone I ever talked to that had a trance had nothing but praise for them.

Don't have much to say about the stumpy and the rm as I have never ridden them.   I borrowed a buddies blur lt for a quick spin once and it was a nice ride.  Seemed to have great acceleration but I was also riding a tank that day :)

Of course YMMV and this is just my opinion LOL  ;D

Keep us posted on the test rides!
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline jro

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:55:42 PM »
FYI I found a GF HiFi article.  It appears the bearing bushing issue has been worked out.  But it does look like the fork issue is still real..

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2056 8)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:06:11 AM »
Looking at the hifi again I see the pivot is on the seat stays and not the chain stays.  This means it is not a horst link but a faux bar suspension.  Not that there is anything wrong with that I just wanted to point out my inaccuracy in my original post.

Any updates on the test rides?
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Advertisement: