Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Opinions on Marzocchi MX comp/pro  (Read 2437 times)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
Opinions on Marzocchi MX comp/pro
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
I am seriously considering purchasing a Marz mx comp/pro to replace my crappy manitou axel elite 100. Everyone I talk to and all the reviews I've read say it is a great fork at a great price. Does anyone have any opinions of advice on these forks? Thanks in advance!

Doug
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline jpap2002

• Huffy Rider
Re: Opinions on Marzocchi MX comp/pro
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »
Doug how much are u planing to spend and how much are u willing to spend. Fox is the way to go......... May be up there in price but the forks are the best on the market........ What type of riding do you do the most of........

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
Doug,

Jpap is right.. FOX forks are great.. another option is Rock Shox Reba.. Both are great shocks for the money and  you cant find anything bad about them...  But I think if you go with FOX you'll be happy for the money..

Spend a little more now or a lot more later..

-Bob  :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »
Can't afford Fox. I've got a boat too!!!!!!!!!  I don't need all the toys and fancy adjustability-just a good quality fork at a good price. I can get an 06' model for like $230-$260 marked down from $450. I know Fox is great, I just can't swing it. Like I said-the Marz MX series is supposed to be a real nice fork-not compared to Fox, but compared to just about anything else.
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:07:56 PM »
Doug,

That is the fork that was on my bike as oem. It is a really good strong fork, the ride is good for the most part, BUT you will notice, depending on which exact model you might get, that it is a heavy piece. It would probably add weight to the front of your bike.

It is not a bad alternative given your financial pinch.  I sold mine used on ebay for about 70 bucks around a year ago.

Fox forks are wonderful, but you DEFINETLY pay for the name. Not everyone can plop down 600 and up for them. When I bought my Reba Race, I went in with the intention of buying Fox. I was willing to spend 600 ish. My bike shop showed me that, while they would happily get me the Fox. I could get more bang and adjustability for  my buck. They were right! Once dialed in this fork is exactly what I was looking for.

Just the opinion of your one legged friend.

Bunny

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »
The MX comp is supposed one of the best budget forks out there. Something equivilent would be the RS Tora or Recon. The RSs have much more adjustablity, but the MX comp will serve you well, Trust me, these forks are a worthy upgrade compared to your current fork.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:32 AM »
The MX comp is supposed one of the best budget forks out there. Something equivilent would be the RS Tora or Recon. The RSs have much more adjustablity, but the MX comp will serve you well, Trust me, these forks are a worthy upgrade compared to your current fork.

I have the Rock Shox Recon Air 100 and love it.  It's a comfortable fork for everything that I throw at it. I got it from JensonUSA for $250.  Great price for a fine fork.

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »

I'm not so sure about the adjustability part..... On my Marz, I can adjust air pressure, travel, and rebound speed- what else would I need to adjust? Do the Rock Shox have more adjustments than that? Just wondering...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:04:16 AM by PIRANHA »

Advertisement: