Author Topic: Tuesday Night Flatwoods Ride Cancelled Until Further Notice  (Read 161 times)

stumpy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Tuesday Night Flatwoods Ride Cancelled Until Further Notice
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
Hey All,

I spoke to the park manager today just to make sure that we cannot have the Tuesday night Flatwoods ride. He told me that until we can guarantee a Minimum of 10 riders, he will not schedule a ranger to stay to cover the park which is a SWFWMD requirement in order to have people in the park after hours.

We may try and make this a once a month event to try and attract more riders, but we will have to see about that. My attempt at having people RSVP went over like a lead balloon.

I will keep you updated if any changes are made..
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
Re: Tuesday Night Flatwoods Ride Cancelled Until Further Notice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
Please don't give up!

Traying to get people to RSVP in the cold and rain will not work, we know this now.

Twice a month would be good.

Thanks for the effort!
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
Croom nite rides are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »
Croom nite rides are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D

So is Carter, so is Boyette, BUT they do not require a Ranger to be present while people are in the park like SWFWMD Requires the county to do. It may be possible to get the fee waived if we go to only once a month.. I am going to propose that..

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
Ogre for president ;D

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
My attempt at having people RSVP went over like a lead balloon.

I RSVP'd.  8)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Online PoserLowroad

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:52:47 PM »
Like many males I am averse to commitment, that's why I rarely show up for a morning ride, so I can see why the RSVP did not work.

But, how about having potential riders pony up their fee up front, perhaps via PayPal. That way if people don't show up all they lose is the modest fee and Ranger Smith still gets paid, even if only watching over those few that did show, it's a win all around, no?

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:24:42 PM »
What some don't understand is that it Not about the Fee.. The Ranger does not get the $$ that puts that in the Parking income. The problem is that SWFWMD requires the County to have a Ranger present if they allow people in the park after hours (the land is SWFWMD property). The County does not allow the Ranger to collect overtime pay, so they have to give the ranger time off during the week to make up for it. With all the short falls in the budget and staffing being cut, the park manager will not schedule a ranger for only a few people.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:29:04 AM »
Darrin,

Maybe you could get SWFWMD to change their policy if you presented a proposal showing other government managed trails systems do not require park staff to be working.  I would stress the fact that a member of the National Mountain Bike Patrol would  attend every ride (trained in first aid,CPR and mechanical assistance)  and that park staff does live on the facility at several different locations if a major incident were to occur.  I would also include an emergency action plan in the proposal to show them you are prepared to handle an emergency properly and probably more effectively than park staff could.

Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:20:12 PM »
Damn good post Chris.  A well laid out proposal could probably fly.  From experience I know sometimes one has to push all the way to fruition.  Even when facing a stalemate a petition may be needed.

Darrin,

Maybe you could get SWFWMD to change their policy if you presented a proposal showing other government managed trails systems do not require park staff to be working.  I would stress the fact that a member of the National Mountain Bike Patrol would  attend every ride (trained in first aid,CPR and mechanical assistance)  and that park staff does live on the facility at several different locations if a major incident were to occur.  I would also include an emergency action plan in the proposal to show them you are prepared to handle an emergency properly and probably more effectively than park staff could.

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:28:03 PM »
What some don't understand is that it Not about the Fee.. The Ranger does not get the $$ that puts that in the Parking income. The problem is that SWFWMD requires the County to have a Ranger present if they allow people in the park after hours (the land is SWFWMD property). The County does not allow the Ranger to collect overtime pay, so they have to give the ranger time off during the week to make up for it. With all the short falls in the budget and staffing being cut, the park manager will not schedule a ranger for only a few people.

If it's not about the fee and the ranger doesn't get OT, then whether the ranger is there for 5 people or 15 people it shouldn't matter, he would be there anyway whatever the head count is.  So it must have some issue to do with the fee.  Some days there will be many, some days (cold) will be few, but balanced out over the season one would imagine that it would work itself out and people can determine to plan for it or not.  The rangers job of being on site during the event shouldn't be affected by the headcount if the fee does not determine whether it is a go or no.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:54:32 PM »

If it's not about the fee and the ranger doesn't get OT, then whether the ranger is there for 5 people or 15 people it shouldn't matter, he would be there anyway whatever the head count is.  So it must have some issue to do with the fee.  Some days there will be many, some days (cold) will be few, but balanced out over the season one would imagine that it would work itself out and people can determine to plan for it or not.  The rangers job of being on site during the event shouldn't be affected by the headcount if the fee does not determine whether it is a go or no.

Garry,

Eddie does not see a NEED to rearrange a Rangers schedule for only so few a people. He loses that rangers time during the week that he could have him doing work around the park. If 20 people show up, that makes more sense to him.. I understand your argument and I agree with it, but Eddie is the one who needs convincing. This will take a SWAMP & WTA involvement if we want this ride to continue.

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:06:51 PM »

Garry,

Eddie does not see a NEED to rearrange a Rangers schedule for only so few a people. He loses that rangers time during the week that he could have him doing work around the park. If 20 people show up, that makes more sense to him.. I understand your argument and I agree with it, but Eddie is the one who needs convincing. This will take a SWAMP & WTA involvement if we want this ride to continue.

I know Darrin.  It's frustrating.  I know this has been discussed before, I also thought it was understood that some days would be lean while others plentiful.  Guess it's back to square one in discussing it.

Online PoserLowroad

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #13 on: Today at 10:14:53 PM »
If enough riders pay in advance can a ranger not be convinced to work independently of his formal schedule for a few extra dollars, sort of like cops of FWC working road construction sites?