Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Morning commute  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
  • My Bike: Epic expert
Morning commute
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:07:09 AM »
Getting up this morning and checking the radar as usual.Lots of green and yellow...Yep rain all over.BUT the temperature is 68 and that is warm.Grab a quick bite to eat and give a few moments thought to all those cyclists who have not made it home lately.Tell myself to be extra carefull and its time to get going.Great its raining hard.This is when I consider driving in but I wont...I really enjoy everyone calling me crazy at work when I get there.Be carefull out there everyone!!

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Morning commute
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
You Da Man 8) !!!! Keep it up!!!!

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »
Sir,

How far is your commute?  You're up awfully early.

I start a new job on the 24th (going back to work after being at home with kids for 10 years) and just got back from doing a trial run on my bike.

It's 7.8 miles one way and made it in 33 minutes.  Bike lanes/paths most of the way.  Lots of stop signs and lights, too. It will be a lot different, I know, during rush hour.  But I was talking with a friend who works there and she said it sometimes takes her 15 minutes to get out of the parking lot and onto the interstate (which is, like, right there.)  I'm as excited about riding my bike to work as I am about going back to work :) .

I was on my road bike and it was fine.  Maybe I should get some tires that are a bit more forgiving, though.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:22:52 PM »
Congrats and good luck Jen. I'm going to start riding to work soon also.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
Hey Jen,Congrats on the job and its cool that you have been a stay at home mom.
My ride is from Tierra verde to 118th and is about 20 miles.On rainy or cold days I give myself a two hour window to get to work.That gives me enough time to fix multiple flat tires if needed and you cant believe how much of a factor the wind is.Normaly it takes me an hour and 20 minutes but that can easily be less than an hour with a good wind or an hour and a half with a bad wind.
I will tell you with all honesty that the days I ride to work I am a much better worker and have more energy than days I drive.I look forward to reading your stories about commuting soon.Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new job.But most of all be safe,I have at least 1 close call daily.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »
By the way I got drenched and blown all over the place this morning....It was great!!!!!

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
I don't enjoy riding in the rain.  My glasses get all spattered and I can't see.  But I am determined to do this.  And yes, a person has to feel better arriving at work after a bike ride vs. the stress of rush hour traffic in a car.

I really, really admire you for taking on a 20 mile commute.  I bow down and salute you.  (Wait, that's kinda a mixed metaphor or something.)

I'll keep you posted on how things go. 

A friend is bringing me a vest and lights tomorrow.

I'm hoping to start a trend where I work.  It's a large office.

What about you?  Small office?   Are you the only bike commuter?

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
Its a medium amount of employees I guess.About 60.It is amazing how many people I have riding now.It seems weekly that someone new is buying a bike.Everyone is getting involved.I now have a steady group of 5 new riders that ride every weekend with me and the rear of our building now looks like a bike shop some days.Its amazing how nobody rode before I started working there 3 years ago and now probably 20 + people have gotten bikes but everyone asks about it.My spare bike has a waiting list every weekend..
You will find that street riding keeps your mind sharp cause you are constantly looking for cars trying to hit you plus looking for curbs.rocks dogs etc.My ride home at 3pm is way more dangerous than my 5am rides in.I suggest two red blinking lights on your back and one GOOD white flashing light on the front.Ive been riding to work for bout 20 years now and that light setup seems to be the best one yet.Also your nutrition intake will be very important to you now....Sorry if im comming off like a know it all,I just have a passion for this stuff
Gotta go in early tomorrow,getting up at 3 so its off to bed for me.

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
  • My Bike: '16 Giant Anthem SX/'06 Specialized FSR XC Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »
I miss my bike commute...16 miles each way,built up a nice commuter road bike w/ rack,panniers,nice 28c tires,fenders,etc. Rode in all kinds of weather.Really miss it now that I can't ride to new job. :'(

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
wow 20 miles each way.... thats hardcore for a commute!!! If i were to ride to work its 15 miles but some parts of the trip are triple black diamond. Dunno if i have the nerve to try it yet.

Later,

Big-E

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »

I'm hoping to start a trend where I work.  It's a large office.

What about you?  Small office?   Are you the only bike commuter?

My office won't jump on board - though i do have one teatering... just can't get him to actually do it. Your idea of a test run is a good idea. Maybe i can convince him to ride his route on a weekend to "test" it. Thanks for the idea.

I commuted last summer/fall and just started again after a 3 month break. I plan to commute all the way up and until the TD. 25 miles each way.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
wow 20 miles each way.... thats hardcore for a commute!!! If i were to ride to work its 15 miles but some parts of the trip are triple black diamond. Dunno if i have the nerve to try it yet.

Later,

Big-E
I understand the black diamond reference.If I take u.s 19 home it cuts 10 minutes off my time but making my way to the beach is MUCH safer.Once I hit central ave headed south on 19 its like the whole world changes.No body sees me and I think some actually try to hit me.Keeps me young....I think.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
I miss my bike commute...16 miles each way,built up a nice commuter road bike w/ rack,panniers,nice 28c tires,fenders,etc. Rode in all kinds of weather.Really miss it now that I can't ride to new job. :'(
I bet I would miss it too.Hope my legs hold up so I can ride many more years.

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »

Later,

Big-E
I understand the black diamond reference.If I take u.s 19 home it cuts 10 minutes off my time but making my way to the beach is MUCH safer.Once I hit central ave headed south on 19 its like the whole world changes.No body sees me and I think some actually try to hit me.Keeps me young....I think.

Funny how i commented on this. Today we got an email from work telling us they are building showers and a locker room here. I went and confirmed.. So now im thinking of riding in a couple few days a week once completed. The black diamond reference is Tampa rd between lake st George and forest lakes. 6 lane road with a 45 mph speed limit and no real shoulder.

On a positive note, in traffic i saw this guy on a road bike beat me (stuck in a car in traffic) for over 3 miles.  Until he got to Lake St. George and turned north and was gone..

later,

Big-E

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
OK..copying and pasting my blog about my first day on the bike commute...it's long

I truly believe we'd be a better society if more people got out of their   cars and onto their bikes for their ride to work.  I know that a lot of   that has to do with the infrastructure and Tampa's is NOT bike   friendly.  My commute is 50th across Fowler, left on Fletcher, right on   42nd up to Bruce B. Downs (BBD).  There is a nice bike lane on 50th.    There's a nice lane on Fletcher.  There's a nice bike lane on 42nd.    Until the stop sign (don't know the cross roads.)  The bike lane   disappears.  But it's only 200 feet or so up to BBD.  There is a nice   bike lane, but it's a really busy and fast street.  I've got school   buses going by at 50 mph, which can be pretty unsettling for a bicycle.    Fortunately, it's only about 100 yards before a real bike commuter path   starts that's 10 feet or so off the road.  That's a nice path for a few   miles, but then construction starts up and they've shut off the bike   lane so I've got to take a detour and go back behind Lowe's and wait for   that light.  Again, I've got to say, that's a long freaking light.    Maybe it goes slower since I'm out in the elements on my bike, but   coming and going today seemed to take forever.

I'm about 8 miles away from work.  I've got a bike lane most of the way.  It's flat.  It's an easy commute.  I'm happy.

But there's still all the other stuff to worry about.  I try to make eye   contact with the driver of a car I'm approaching, but way too often   they're on their cell phones or staring at their phone's screen,   texting.  And I know it's because that bikes aren't a big enough part of   the culture; they're not trained to look out for us.  I'm supposed to   be a biking advocate, like Alan Snel, but I'm finding myself cursing the   drivers far too often.  I almost fell over on the way home.  I stopped   and unclipped  because a car was right in the path of the bike lane and   didn't have any idea I was there....but didn't get my balance and almost   toppled over.  I'm so glad for that save.

I left this morning a few minutes later than I'd planned (never good for   a first go) but had a good ride to work.  One thing I noticed though;   the traffic lights lasted a LOT longer during rush hour than they did   when I did the same ride at mid day.  So, waiting for traffic lights or   hitting traffic lights correctly can probably add or subtract 8 or so   minutes from my commute.

Got to work, and had not planned properly.  Couldn't find my bike lock   so I spent minutes fumbling for that.  Made my way to the gym and to the   shower. Had 15 minutes to undress, shower, dry off, do hair and face,   dress and make it to my desk. And I fought with the plumbing.   I   thought turning the valve on all the way would get me hot water, but it   didn't seem to work.  I danced in a cold water shower.  Didn't take a   full shower; didn't have time.  Had a PTA shower.  Got some hot water by   turning the valve half way back to cold (???)  I was so confused but   had no time to ask anybody.  Managed to make it to my chair right at 8   o'clock.

Ride home was sweet.  Arrived home feeling refreshed.  Had some freaky   moments..I was threading between two lanes of traffic without a proper   bike lane. Was pretending I was  NYC bike messenger.   Hoping folks   would see me in my bright red shirt.  But, you know what?  I arrived   home feeling great.

Will continue next week.

Night. 

Advertisement: