Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: tips for the 6 hour solo races and beyond  (Read 1206 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
tips for the 6 hour solo races and beyond
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
there are a lot of people that are racing these longer races solo for the first time this weekend and I want to throw my .02 in on how to make the experience more enjoyable:

power and pacing - this is probably the hardest skill for an endurance athlete...to be able to throttle themselves over a long period of time.   You are really excited at the start of the race and there are riders doing relays that are in the mix that will be going faster than you will want to.  If you look at peoples lap times 90% of the people start off doing lap times that they cant maintain over the whole race - this causes them to have a slower overall time than if they would have broken the race down in to sustainable speeds and break it down into 4 easy to follow segments.  (remember...you cant win the race on the first lap but you can lose it on the first lap)

segment 1: (first 1:30 of a 6 hour race)

In this segment - fight adrenaline/excitement and just hold back.   You cant really rely on your heart rate monitor for this because you will be excited.  most of you dont have power meters so you will have to rely on PE (perceived Exertion)  How easy should you be going MUCH easier than your mind is telling you at this point.  If you are breathing so hard that you couldn't have a conversation with somebody riding beside you, you started too fast.  remember most people are making big mistakes at this point in race and if you are getting passed...you are going correct pace...if you are passing a lot of people..you are going out way too fast. (remember the tortoise and the hare)

segment 2:  (this takes you up to the half way point)

at this point....you are settled in and you can start relying on your heart rate monitor for accurate information.  stay in your goal zone (right below lactate threshold - basically if you road for 1 hour as hard as you can what your ave HR would be)  remember to not get caught up in "racing" other riders...you will be getting passed by people that are doing relays etc.  you race your own race and you will have your best finish.

segment 3:  (hour 3-4:30 in a 6 hour)

You will start having arguments with your mind at this point - it will be telling you lies like 'I am not doing very well, I am going too slow"  this is normal...expect it.  at this point to keep for over exertion you can play "pedaling games"  like: 1-2 3 apply force on 1 and less force on pedals for 2 - 3 and keep repeating...this also will take your mind off the PE that is starting to make things seem harder than they really are (remember that you can rely on HR at this point) this is by far the most challenging part of the race mentally.  If you blew section 1 you are probably arguing with yourself whether or not to give up at this point. 

segment 4:  (the last 1:30 of a 6 hour)

Mentally things start to get better because at this point, the end is in sight.  You can finish strong at this point because you didnt burn up all your matches..you left gas in the tank.  You can start concentrating on passing people at this point - there will be a lot of people that didnt pace themselves correctly...focus on them and pass them.  You will be able to chase some relay riders at this point as well.   Go for it here and finish strong.  You will be surprised at how many riders that are racing solo have either given up and arent even on the course now or are crawling around and you are passing them.  This is where your discipline has paid off.  The race will really be spread out at this point so there wont be as much traffic to contend with and you should be able to fly around the course to a fantastic finish.

this is much harder to do than it sounds...trust me, if you use these tactics and can stick to them, you will finish better than if you didnt.

DROP HAMMERS (in the last part of the race when nobody else has hammers left

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
Re: tips for the 6 hour solo races and beyond
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »
dude you have to much time on your hands... good read...
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
+ 1 I like it Fe. Even though im racing relay. I hope to maintain a good pace the entire race though.

Big-E

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
That's my coach.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline crash course

• Forum Newbie
  • My Bike: 1998 Schwinn 4 Banger
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »
I'm just getting into mountain biking more and wanted to run my first race and heard about the Squiggy Classic.  Just wondering what the race format was, do you actually race for all 6 hours if you are riding solo?  Or is it a set number of laps around a specific track?  Not very much information online about it...Good tips on pacing yourself though and adrenaline has a huge impact on endurance.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
I'm just getting into mountain biking more and wanted to run my first race and heard about the Squiggy Classic.  Just wondering what the race format was, do you actually race for all 6 hours if you are riding solo?  Or is it a set number of laps around a specific track?  Not very much information online about it...Good tips on pacing yourself though and adrenaline has a huge impact on endurance.

Squiggy is the same format as EL Lagarto in Lakeland tomorrow. Solo riders try and do as many laps of the course in the fastest time in the 6 hour allotted time. The race will end at hour 6, so if you do not make it back from a lap before the cutoff it will not count...

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
My 6HR of El Lagarto Tip
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »
my tip:

Ride Hard, Ride Fast & Stay dry.

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:17 AM »
Thanks coach, applied everything yesterday and my laps were +/-3.5 minutes.
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
All the above = NONESENSE

My tip:
Stock your coolor with beer and drink some as you come to pit.  Or do like me and have your buddy bring the beer (or whatever you prefer ;-) to the middle of the trail and enjoy your race.

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
I don't think this was an open-feed course.  Ban this man!
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
That's what i'm talking about. GO SANDPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement: