Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: More test rides  (Read 1803 times)

Offline jro

• First Bike
More test rides
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
Today I rode another GF HiFi but it was a deluxe 19", a Trek Fuel Ex7, a SC Blur and a 29r.  The best ride for me was the HiFi.  The other HiFi that I tested last week was a 17.5 so I tried to compare by riding the Fuel which was a 17.5 with the 19" HiFi.  With the 17.5 Fuel my weight was on the bars while with the 19 HiFi I felt like my weight was in the middle or for me balanced.  In the longterm which is better:  Weight up front or balanced or in the seat?  Blur last years model felt spongy and the 29 felt like tank but I see why a larger person would like this bike.  The Trek felt heavy and I was not as stable on it..maybe because of the 17.5.  Note: I am 5'9" 170, short legs and long torso.

I still like the reviews of the Titus Lite and I know BeerCan is riding one (BeerCan if you would how is the ride?) .  I got a quote from BikerBob for 2450 with the following group:

Fox Talas R 100-140mm front shock
Fox RP2 rear (this one has RP23)
SRAM X7 trigger shifters (same as last year's X9)
SRAM X7 rear derailleur
Shimano LX front derailleur
FSA Gamma X-type crankset
SRAM 11-34 cassette
Shimano HG53 chain
'Mavic Crossride wheelset
Kenda Nevegal kevlar tires
Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
Maxm seatpost, stem, and handlebars
WTB Momentum headset
WTB Rocket V saddleWTB grips

The GF Deluxe is 2050 and has the following grouping:
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=hifi&bike=Hi_Fi_Deluxe

Now I am torn HiFi = good ride or Titus = faith.  Regardless I do need help on 17.5 versus 19. :P

Thanks

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
Re: More test rides
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »
I feel your pain, I am also 5' 9" and I seem to be pretty much right between the 17 and the 19. In my opinion what ever you feel more comfortable on. weight up front, middle or rear, where are you more comfortable riding? Myself I chose the 17" just to give myself a little more *AHEM* clearance in the event of a unfortunate spill.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »
I wish I had more experience on this to offer.  I am also watching this post to better understand which bike size is best for me.  I am 5'10" and carrying more weight then I should.  I currently ride an 18" (Medium) but often wonder if I should've gone with the Large frame (19" or above). 

Why do I wonder I should have a 19" ?  Well I always fealt that I had to push my seat way back to better fit with holding on to the handle bars.  I even thought about getting a laid back seat post for it.  My problem was that when I first bought the bike it had a somewhat longer flat stem and it gave me neck pain.  AJ's fit me with a Salsa riser stem which had a riduculous 45 (or higher) degrees angle and it moved my handle bars back and higher up.  That why I kept moving my seat post.  I have now exchanged the stem for a shorter one and only with 15 degree angle.  I want to further lower it and extent it forward a bith with the 100mm 5 degree Thompson one.  I fit better on the bike now but I am still wondering if my next bike should be 19"

I guess the only thing I have to offer here is that you can counter balance the 17, 18, or 19 inch bike with these:
1) different sizes of stems and at different angles of the rise.
2) Laid back or "center offset" seat post
3) hi/low-rise handle bars.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:54:57 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:36 AM »
You want a bike that fits your weight over a blanced area of the drive train or bottom bracket area.  If you are on a bike smaller than is ideal for you then you will have weight forward and prone to endos and neck issues from holding your head/neck at an uncomfortable angle.  If you are on too large of a frame then you will have back/shoulder issues from being too stretched out.  Certainly both of these can be adjusted with stems, riser bars, and set back seat posts - but it's way better in the long run to get the bike size that fits you then make those other adjustments as well.  A good fit from someone experienced in fitting people on bikes makes a huge difference in your comfort.  Yes, you want stand over clearance and a standard frame you should have 3/4 fingers clearance from the top tube to your crotch.  Many full suspension frames offer more than that by the design of top tube that swoops downward.
Starting here and being sure that you are not too stretched out or scrunched up in the *pit, (between seat and handlebars), the rest is pretty adjustable for long/short arms, long/short torso.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 08:19:02 AM »
Great points from Garry.  Don't get caught up in the frame size numbers either, unless you are talking about the same frame.

I mean a Gary Fisher HiFi 17 inch frame may not be the same fit for you as a Gary Fisher Cake 2 17 inch frame for example.  Each frame has it's own geometry.  Across manufacturers it differences get even more complicated.

All the more reason to talk to a professional about bike fit before you buy.  And always get your bike fit to you when you do buy. (I'm talking paid for bike fit, not the complimentary version.  Well worth the effort)
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:45:29 AM »
First, read this website: How to fit a bicycle

I'm 5'10" with average length legs and the medium sized frames are a better fit for me than the large ones. I've been told by quite a few people, including bike shop employees, that for mountain biking the smaller frame that you still fit on seems preferable.

With short legs, I'd definately advise you to look into medium frames. However, with the long torso you may have to use long stems, riser bars, and set-back seatposts to keep from feeling cramped in the *pit.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
You could try one of these fit calculators to get you in the ball park
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCM?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Secure/Fit/Height.aspx?stylecode=M&stylecode=M

I personally found that I like the fit of larger bikes.  I like to feel "in" the bikes *pit, with some smaller bikes I feel "on" the bike.  Just remember that the fisher is going to have a much longer TT than most bikes. 

You have narrowed your choices down to two very fine bikes you will not go wrong with either one.  The Titus is a great ride and I enjoy it immensely.  Mine has a Talas rlc and a rp23.  It is very plush, soaks up bumps like they are not there.  It has a stiff rear, which is important to me, and it climbs like a goat.  I have seen two downsides with it so far.  The front end sometimes feels like it gets "light" on a climb but I have alleviated this by adjusting my technique.  The bike can at times feel "twitchy" when I am really flying on the single track.  I gather that some people like this twitchy feeling as they call it "flickable" (sic). 

If we ever meet on the trails you are welcome to ride mine.  It will be big (it is a large) but you still may get an idea of the suspension.

BTW I have found Bob to be a honest and fair seller.  Even though he is not local he is a mountain biker and he gives back to the sport, important traits for me.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:15:15 AM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Advertisement: