Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Help with Upgrades  (Read 3558 times)

Offline JordanCook

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Ridgeline
  • My Bike: Vassago Jabberwocky SS
Help with Upgrades
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
Hey everyone, I am looking to upgrade some components on my 09' Rockhopper Comp Disc, and would LOVE to get some expert advice/opinions.

Everything on it is original, except the derailleur and front rim. :)  It's been a fantastic bike, I've beat the crap out of it and it's stood up for me.  It's way overdue for a few upgrades; I am hoping some of you can point me in the right direction.  I've looked at just selling it and buying a new 29'er but really can't afford what I'd like to spend.

This is what I'd like to start replacing...unless someone suggests otherwise.  :D

Original per Specialized:
FORK: RockShox Dart 3 SL, 100mm, preload and rebound adj. w/ LO, 13/15": standard spring, all others: "stiff" spring, disc only
CRANKSET: Shimano FC-M36108, Octalink spline, replaceable rings
BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearings, 68mm x 118mm
CHAINRINGS: 42S x 32S x 22S
CHAIN: KMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link
REAR RIM: Specialized RHD 26", double wall disc, pinned w/ eyelets, 28/32h
REAR HUB: Specialized, forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, cassette, QR, 32h
(the front rim was replaced with a Mavic, nothing special, but the rear rim/hub is probably more important and I'm fine with them not matching)

The biggest question and probably the most important...what's my budget, no idea lol, maybe $500-600.  This doesn't need to come all at once but I suppose I need to start somewhere. 

Thank you all in advanced, really looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

Jordan

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Help with Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
My vote is for fork then wheels. That will pretty much spend the whole $600. The rest I would replace as needed. I would get an air sprung fork and try to shave a few hundred grams off the wheel weight.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
I would address the Fork and wheel set first. The fox F29 15mm thru axle is very nice but would require a new 15mm hub, the hope pro 2 is probably the best bang for the buck. if you plan to stay with a quick release, the Reba is a nice option and is a little cheaper than the Fox.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
I agree with what Murf and Scott said.. Air Fork is 1st, then a good quality wheel set or if going to a 15mm QR Fox, both at the same time..

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
Is your stated budget all that you want to spend?  When you start upgrading, it can become addictive.  ;D

A new wheelset and fork are higher budget items, but they should help you save weight as well.

I'd also consider upgrading the crank, cassette, and chain.  Especially if you haven't touched them since you got the bike.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline JordanCook

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Ridgeline
  • My Bike: Vassago Jabberwocky SS
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
Well...realistically everything on the bike could use an upgrade...I've hammered it with no regard since I've bought it.  The frame about the only thing that's good lol

Great advice guys and I really appreciate it, looks like the Forks and Wheels is my starting point, then maybe try to stretch my budget to get new cranks, cassette and chain to get by for awhile :D

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
what kinda brakes do you have on that thing?
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
Sell your bike then find a nice used STUMPJUMPER.. or the other way around.

Tell him O'

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:03 AM »
For forks I would check out the new Sektor series from RockShox.  It's basically a Revelation but without some of the extras and it's pretty cheap to boot.

If you need a decent crank on the cheap you could also look at the RaceFace Evolve/Ride series.  The evolves use the same BB as the atlas/respond FR cranks.

Also, if you haven't checked your chain for wear I suggest you do so.  If it happens to be out of spec, check your cogs for rounding and wear and replace as necessary before you burn your budget else where.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:43:37 AM »
I have a '10 Rockhopper and went on the same downhill spiral you are on.  I did wheels first and do not regret it.  It felt like a new bike.  However, if you are looking to do a fork (which you should, that Dart sucks), then you need to assess if 15mm QR is what you want.  I would scour mtbr and other classifieds and try to find stuff on the cheap, but make sure it's quality stuff.  The crankset should be one of the last things you replace.  I replaced mine only because I got da hookup, and even dropping 4 oz I couldn't notice the weight difference.  The stock cassette is a brick, so if you let your chain get too worn and it chewed up your cassette, look at getting something lighter. 

Any fork you get will be an upgrade over the Dart, a Reba can be had for ~$250.  You can find a decent used rear wheel for ~$250-$300 if you can find a single wheel or someone willing to split a wheelset, but you can also you drop $450 on a Stan's set with their hubs and have a damn good and light wheelset.  Stan's and a used fork will put you a little over at $700, but it will be done and you will have a new bike.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »
Crankset can be worth it in some cases (but definitely low priority).

I replaced my crankset because I had a very slightly wobbly left arm after a particularly savage pedal strike. It was definitely worth doing even if it hadn't been necessary. Went from the stock mid-range octalink to an almost identical mid-range hollowtech external cup set up and the difference was very noticeable. Bike felt much more stable and predictable. Wasn't a big dollar upgrade either. Part I took off and part I put on were both of similar price range just different setups.

Based on my (admittedly limited) experience I would totally recommend a crankset upgrade to any larger riders who aren't already running external cups.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
I'll pretty much say what everyone else said...go with the fork then the wheelset.  ChainReaction has great deals on custom wheel builds (talk to DW...he loves his build). 

There is really nothing wrong with that crankset you have on there.  You could upgrade to an SLX or XT but the weight savings are minimal at best.  Best bet would be throwing a new set of chain rings on your existing crankset along with a new cassette and chain.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
Im sticking with what i said:

sell your bike for $400-$500 + the $500-$600 that you have for upgrades.  you then end up with $1000 - $1100 in your pocket and find yourself a nice USED bike with nice components. You wont have to worry about a fork because at that price point you don't get garbage.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »

sell your bike for $400-$500 + the $500-$600 that you have for upgrades.  you then end up with $1000 - $1100 in your pocket and find yourself a nice USED bike with nice components. You wont have to worry about a fork because at that price point you don't get garbage.

That is what I have done.. I went from a RH to a nice used Full Suspension with like $300 out of pocket. If you eventually want a Full suspension, PEB's idea is the way to go...

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

That is what I have done.. I went from a RH to a nice used Full Suspension with like $300 out of pocket. If you eventually want a Full suspension, PEB's idea is the way to go...

doesnt even have to be a FS, it could be a nice HT Stumpyif you wanna keep it in the Family

Advertisement: