Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: tubeless help?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
tubeless help?
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
Anyone local to riverview maybe even as specific as summerfield have some time to help me do a tubeless conversion. Ive seen all the videos but Im one of those people that need to watch someone do it up close before I feel confident to try it. Plus im 230 and even though lots of big guys are doing I still dont see how. I have flows atm with SB8s  but I am looking for new tires just still not sure what to get. Ill buy all the stuff just need some guidance.

Anthony

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
Re: tubeless help?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
If you have Stan's Flows, then you don't need to do anything special assuming they already have the yellow tape in them.  Just mount the tire, add the Stan's sealant and go shred.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »
If I could recommend one thing.  Use a lot of soapy water to clean and wet the outside bead of the tire.  The suds will help slip the tire on and when it dries, it will give a good clean seal.  If you can get a tire to seal with just soapy water and some air, it will seal no problem with some Stans.  Do not try to seal a dry or especially dirty tire.  Just a word to the wise.  After you put the Stans in, rub some soapy bubbles on the bead and then do the shake thing they show in Stans video.  Good luck.  Flows are the easiest to seal I have ever used ...by far.  i do use a 50/50 mix of Slime brand and Stans.  The Slime keeps it in a liquid state longer and the Stans does a better job of sealing the tire to the rim.  YMMV.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Don't be intimidated by it.  If you have seen the videos a few times then you can get it done.  Couple tips I am going to share from my experience with the Bontrager tubeless setup (your experiences may vary):

-  The rotate and shake before you try to inflate is key (I think that is outlined in the vid).

- If on the initial attempt to inflate you notice the tire somewhat starts to inflate but air is leaking from a specific part of the tire...take one of your hands and grab onto the tire in that area to press the bead towards the rim while you inflate.  Helps get an initial seal.

- On my rims it was essential have to the tire bead lined up in the center channel of the rim.  It wasn't rocket science...just needed to go around the tire and squeeze it so the beads were in the center.  After the rotate & shake I had zero issues inflating with a hand pump.  Not sure if it is the same on the Flow though. 

- Final word of advice...be patient.  If you don't get it the first time it is easy to get frustrated.  Just take things slow the first time around. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:53:06 AM by Alan »

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »
Air compressor FTW.  Make sure the bead seats completely before doing the shaking method.  Don't use a tire lever to put on the tire.  Use two scoops of liquid initially, a lot of it will be used in the initial sealing.  Your following refills will only be one scoop.  Now go do it.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
Air compressor FTW.  Make sure the bead seats completely before doing the shaking method.  Don't use a tire lever to put on the tire.  Use two scoops of liquid initially, a lot of it will be used in the initial sealing.  Your following refills will only be one scoop.  Now go do it.
A compressor is your friend. I stopped using soapy water, with the right tire and rim combo it is no more difficult that mounting wth tubes :)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »
yes a compressor makes it much easier.. i think that will be my next tool purchase.. Harbor freight has some for under $100

Offline Diesel#1

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Seductive Cycles
  • My Bike: Scott Spark - Red Metal 1, XTR, RaceFace, KCNC, Magura, RockShox.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
I'm in Summerfield. Let me know when you want to come over and we can get it done.