Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Las Vegas  (Read 716 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Las Vegas
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:09 PM »
Anyone ride the Bootleg Trails or Blue Diamond Trails near Las Vegas? Any recommendations of which trails to hit? Many thanks.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
I've ridden both several times...my preference is Bootleg Canyon, but both places (and Cottonwood Valley) are pretty cool.  The thing I like about Bootleg is that it is a mountain bike park built up, down, and around a small mountain.  There are multiple trail options that loop you around the parking area - it is a much easier ride to navigate if you are going solo (basically impossible to get lost).  Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. It sounds like both places are pretty good. I'm pretty much just a XCountry rider. No big jumps or hardcore downhilling (though I tried the lift-assist trails at Whistler once. Man was that fun).

I'll be riding one of the days with an 8-year-old. Do you think one of the places would be better for someone that age?

Thanks again.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
I'd do Bootleg because of the variety of trails and that they are are centralized around a trailhead (similar to how Alafia is set up)...the other places are more like a trailhead and then one long loop that heads out of the trailhead - nice, but limited opportunities to bail.  Bootleg also has a bmx track and some dirt jumps of various size that your 8 year old would probably have fun rolling over.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
We got back from Vegas on the weekend. We rode Blue Diamond. First day we just did the 9-mile loop. It ook 2.5 hours, but that was with an 8-year-old in tow. The nice guy at the bike shop said a couple 9-year-olds had made it around, but he had not known of someone as young as 8 making it the whole way. If I hadn't gotten us lost a couple of times, it would have taken just two hours. They could use a few signs as it is easy to get lost out there. Other than that, the trails were fun. Lots of options, lots of climbing, which also means lots of downhills.

The second time out, (this time without the 8-year-old) we covered a lot more ground. We hit Mustang Trail and Late Night. Both are fun, flowy trails. I'm glad I didn't fall into one of those big cactus. Saw some wild burros and a weird looking lizard.

Bootleg Canyon looked like a lot of fun. We didn't ride it because the bike shop over there didn't have a bike that would fit an 8-year-old.

As an aside, we saw a lot of roadies riding the hills in the Blue Diamond area.

Thanks again for the advice.

Advertisement: