Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 1 maybe 2 days in Elijay ...must rides?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
1 maybe 2 days in Elijay ...must rides?
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
It is now a family vacation to Elijay.  Will be there (Plum Nelly Campground) for Sat. and Sun. (arrive Fri. 3ish, leave Mon. early).  I know I can get one day of solo riding in.  What trail/s are the "must ride"?  I have the Dirtrag issue highlighting the area.  They like Bear Creek the best.  I am looking for something I can't get here, climbs and downhills.  Also, I will have the family with me and their bikes.  Are there any family friendly trails (think Grandpa at Hole in the fence, but with good scenery).  Any other "fun" things to do locally with the fam?  Thanks for any help.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: 1 maybe 2 days in Elijay ...must rides?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:15 AM »
Bear Creek is good, plus you have a couple other Pinhoti trails there.. -  http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/pinhoti-trail-bear-creek.html

Bear Creek trail pretty much has everything you want.. long climbs, long downhills, creek crossings, singletrack, fire roads, and lots of fun.... 

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »
My favorite ride there was Mulberry gap to Bear creek to Pinhoti 1 to Pinhoti 2 to Mulberry gap. You will LOVE P2 payoff for all your hard work ;)

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »
Bear - P1 - P2 is good. Don't know about family friendly though.

Out and back on P3 will probably be better for the family if they like to climb buff and not techy stuff. Climb out then down back from Mulberry Gap.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
As far as a family friendly trail, look at this one -

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/woodring-branch.html

I did not ride it when there, but it is supposed to be family friendly

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
My favorite ride there was Mulberry gap to Bear creek to Pinhoti 1 to Pinhoti 2 to Mulberry gap. You will LOVE P2 payoff for all your hard work ;)
The climbs on the P's are NOT family (newbs) friendly but good enought for you.  Keep the family at Bear Creek while you explore the P's.  Are you going this weekend?  If you there weekend of 4/24-4/27 I may be able to hook up with you there.

Actually, I would rather take the family to Blanket's Creek just outside of Atlanta.  Just enough climbs to acclimate you for Ellijay and not too killer on the family.  Actually, enough flats to keep family busy for a day.  If you do stop there, try to find the signs that points you in the direction of Alafia with the mileage from there to Alafia :-) pretty kool actually.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
Bear - P1 - P2 is good. Don't know about family friendly though.

Out and back on P3 will probably be better for the family if they like to climb buff and not techy stuff. Climb out then down back from Mulberry Gap.
P3 was option #2, unless the family has the sickness like us I would not consider this family friendly either ;D P3 was my first ride in Ellijay, after the 3/4 mile uphill FS road to the trailhead I was wondering what I had gotten myself into.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »
No, my family is NOT into it like me.  Hence the Grandpa trail reference (that wasn't a joke).  For them, just something flattish and scenic.  The other is for me only.  I have no experience with any real climbing, but would like to get a good sampling of what the "Mountains" have to offer.  This is more of a family vacation/scouting trip for my return with dudes.  Great help so far, thanks.  Sandpine, i will be in Elijay around 3 p.m. on Friday, May 27th.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Coach, the woodring branch trail is on Carters lake and is good for a family picnic as well... a nice day at the lake...

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
No, my family is NOT into it like me.  Hence the Grandpa trail reference (that wasn't a joke).  For them, just something flattish and scenic. 
More reason to do a pit stop or even a day stay in the north Atlanta area and take them to Blankets Creek.  It is a bit more flatish then Bear Creek but still has enough taste of decent climbs.  If can't leave the Ellijay area, also look into Ft. Mountain.  There are a few flatish trails but several with ballbusting climbs.  There is one call "the wall" for a reason.  Ft. Mountain STate park also has a lot of hiking and couple overlooks that the family can hike or ride bikes to.

The other is for me only.  I have no experience with any real climbing, but would like to get a good sampling of what the "Mountains" have to offer.  This is more of a family vacation/scouting trip for my return with dudes.  Great help so far, thanks.  Sandpine, i will be in Elijay around 3 p.m. on Friday, May 27th.
Would have been great but I am going up in late April.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
The peeps at MulberryGap are EXCEPTIONAL, use them as a jumping off point. Go in and say hey, they will point you in the right direction and allow you park on site. Try #3 out and back from MG, it opens with climbing that seems to just keep going on this super buff trail of tears, including a series of puckering switch backs :P then eases up with both flowy ups and downs only to finish with more climbing(imagine that) The return trip is fun 8)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »
The peeps at MulberryGap are EXCEPTIONAL, use them as a jumping off point. Go in and say hey, they will point you in the right direction and allow you park on site. Try #3 out and back from MG, it opens with climbing that seems to just keep going on this super buff trail of tears, including a series of puckering switch backs :P then eases up with both flowy ups and downs only to finish with more climbing(imagine that) The return trip is fun 8)

I originally wanted to stay there.  Sounds good.  Is it a loop or out and back?  Forgot to mention, I will be alone, but have a gps.  I also have no idea how much mileage I can do.  Don't know what my level of endurance will translate in to mileage there.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:47 PM »
P3 is an out and back, from MG to a Scenic Highway crossing(don't recall the name). Pass over the highway and you are COMMITED to P4 ;) This is the perfect P trail experience for a solo rider from the FLA, it is under 10 miles total I want to say. Check out the links on MG's site, they give you a trail by trail breakdown of mileage and elevation gain/lost.

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
Another vote for MG-Bear Creek-P1-P2-MG for a solo trip.  P3 out will break off the family and the switchbacks are sketchy, but you can do it in 1:30-1:45 solo, so don't write that one off.  The Bear Creek route is about 1:30 on the way down, but it may take almost that long to climb straight up there.

Here is BC-MG, we shuttled up there because we were spent from the day before, but it's a gravel fire road climb to get from MG-BC. 
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73182235

The road name at the end of P3 is 52 and it is pure singletrack from Mulberry Gap Road to 52, no chance of a wrong turn or to get lost.  ~0:50 to get up there and about 0:30 to get back down.  ~1200' just up to 52.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:11:32 PM by Orion_134 »
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
sketchy switchbacks on P3? really. I don't recall any of those.

Advertisement: