Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New fork is just installed!  (Read 1894 times)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
New fork is just installed!
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
Just rode my new Marzocchi MX PRO for the first time-WOW!!!! what a difference. It replaces a Manitou AXEL Elite 100(pile of crap). The bike lost a little over 1/2lb and gained plushness, stiffness, travel, adjustability, and looks! I haven't ridden on Tuesday evening in 2 weeks because I just couldn't stand to ride my stock fork any longer. Halfway through the ride it would stiffen up so bad and barely travel 10-20mm. I'll be there today though!!!!!!
                                                                                                                                          Doug
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: New fork is just installed!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:33:31 PM »
It sure looked good today... I am glad its working good for you.  I am still waiting to save a little dough before I upgrade my wheels.  AFter that, I will upgrade my fork too.  I am leaning toward the Fox Talas but I have not done a lot of research either.  Right now I have a spring Manitou Splice.. Also a pile of junk.

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
Trust me, your Splice is better than an AXEL any day! You should check out Marzocchi-they are great forks with a great reputation. Although, I did notice on Tuesday evening that I was the only person with a Marzzocchi fork! It seems like most of the people in SWAMP ride similar bikes and/or equipment- FOX, RS REBA, MANITOU, C-DALE LEFTY. NOT ME!!!!!!!
I did a lot of research and talked to some friends in other parts of the country and everyone gave Marzocchi rave reviews. I got a great price on mine (06' model) from GREENFISH SPORTS out of New York.

Doug
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »
Doug,

Congrats on the new fork, did you get the one we talked about the other night? I guess that was almost two weeks ago come to think about it. I am glad that you are happy with it! Marzocchi makes a kick butt fork. They make motorcycle suspensions as well. Typically not the lightest in there peer group they are strong as @#$%!

Marcel,
Doug has a point. As a group there are a lot of very similar bikes. Probably because UBC and AJ's are pretty active with Swamp members. It is not nessecarily a bad thing, but we tend to get tunnelvision on which bikes and parts are good and even which are poor.
If you look at Mtbr you will find that the Fox Talas, and the Rock Shox Reba Race have almost exactly the same rating 2006 or 2007 but note the price difference.  I am a strong believer in the old saying " you get what you pay for" but, this is sometimes abused by manufacturers and marketers. The Fox shock absolutely kicks butt, I would ask you seriously could it really be worth 25 to 40 percent more? If the answer is yes, than by all means spend the extra money. Remember that Rock Shox is the same manufacturer as SRAM and Truvativ, and Avid.
The Fox has more eye candy appeal for sure, but you could save some money for the next upgrade.

Just some thoughts, I am biased though, my Reba Race has been perfect for the last 12 months (granted not a whole lot of use the last 11 weeks).

Gregg

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:40:13 PM »
Yes,

I did get the fork we talked about. It is a Marz MX PRO eta/tas. The adjustable travel (100-120mm) is really cool and is easy to use. Last Tuesday evening I rode with it set at 120mm and the handling was just a tidge slow-nothing bad, but just enough to notice. This week I will ride with it set at 105mm or so to see the difference. I think that the longer travel will be better suited to Alafia where as the regular setting (100-110mm) will probably work better for Wilderness Parks and the like. My last fork was a TANK so the Marz is actually quite a bit lighter. The difference riding with a quality fork is amazing!!!! I wasn't even feeling the bumps until they hit the back tire!!!! I have to admit that a few of us were "gettin it" through a few of the Flatwoods sections-much fun. By the way Gregg, you were right about the axel to crown height-at 120mm it is a little taller, at 100-110mm it is right on the money-I measured it to be sure! Thanks for the help. Hurry back dude, there is hardly any hardtails left!!!!!! There is only 1 Gary Fisher Piranha with a Marzocchi fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't see any Kona's either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:44:52 PM by PIRANHA »

Advertisement: