Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia Trail Work Day information  (Read 18395 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Alafia Trail Work Day information
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:07:06 PM »
Message from Art:

I would really like to thank all of the volunteers who have made it possible for us to have such a great place to ride. Last weekend we placed two telephone poles across a 50 foot creek and started bench cutting to make the North Creek Trail a loop that will bring us to the beginning of River Loop instead of the end. After this is completed we will begin repairing or removing trouble spots on the trails like climbs and drops that constantly need repairing due to rain, people locking up rear brakes and to improve the flow. If you would like to be part of the process come on out and join your follow Mountain Biking Volunteers for the fun and see how the trails come from nothing to what we have now.

Volunteers from last weekend were Art and Julianne North, Wes Eubank, Craig Liney, Dave and Lou Whyte, Ken Orlando, Big John Moore, Garry Rosseter, Eric Odenweller, Danilo Claveria, Javier Avila, Marcel Aguirre, Kevan Sheridan, Myron Vanderlaan, Ernie & Becky Alexander-Wiggins, Merrick & Matt Endres, Rick & Ryan Halpin, Dave Davenport, Crazy Mark (???? couldn't read writing!), Kim Artlip, Abner Nieves, Donny Hamilton, Marcus from AJ's, Ian & Rob Hatton, Forrest Kutyna.

Art
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Alafia Trail Workday, September 23
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:32:11 PM »
We have a project underway to modify and improve our trails so that more people can ride more of the trails. In some cases, the trail is being redesigned to make it less technical. All trails will have improvements to minimize sandy and muddy sections, and the most technical trails will be stabilized so that they require less maintenance.

Rock and pavers will be used to stabilize sandy, muddy, and steep trails. Some trails will be rerouted to make them less intimidating to the average rider. The steepest drops will be fortified so that erosion will be less of a problem.

We plan on having workdays on the next three Saturdays. Things we will be doing includes:
putting the decking on the two new bridges on North Creek
using rock to stabilize various sandy sections
using rock to stabilize mud on Rock Garden & River Loop
using pavers to fortify drops on Roller Coaster & Moonscape

This Saturday's Croom workday (Sept 23) is being relocated to Alafia because the Croom enduro is the following weekend. We will have an Alafia workday instead. Depending on how many of you attend, we can work on the bridges, and start reshaping and fortifying some of the rougher drops. We will also be spreading rock on mud pits.

Please RSVP to ART (at) swampclub.org by noon Friday, so that we can have tools, food and drinks for everyone.

Hope to see you there.

wes
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:59:40 AM by Forum Manager »
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Re: Alafia Trail Workday, September 23
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:33:15 PM »
From Marcel:

Wes,
That is a great plan.  I saw some of that work already starting this past Saturday with Art and AJ's.  I hope it does not offend all the hard core technical riders out there to see more of us "average" riders on those trails. 

But again, some of you know that Sand Pine is challenging enough for me. :-)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:36:52 PM »
From Wes on Sept 23

We had a great crew at Alafia today. We worked on the new section of the North Creek Trail, and on fixing some of the problems on Moonscape. We spent 15 man-hours repairing one drop, but it is so smooth now that my mom could ride it.

Next Saturday we will continue with improvements. We will spread rock on some of the muddy, and sandy sections. The hope is that this will mitigate these trail problems for a long time. If you have a fat tire wheelbarrow, please bring it.

Please RSVP to Art (at) swampclub.org so we can have tools, and lunch for you.

See you there.

wes
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:59:54 AM by Forum Manager »

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »
From Julianne

Thanks to Art & Julianne North, Wes Eubank, both Howard Browns, Garry Rosseter, Barry Bates, Doug Peterson, Kenny Dixon, Craig Liney, Ken Orlando, Steve Krauss, Javier Avila, Myron Vanderlaan, Leon Elt, Mark Morris and Dave Davenport.  Good to see the new faces!!!

The remaining loop of North Creek will be finished next workday, so bring your bike if you're attending the workday.  It'll need some riding in, if you like that kind of thing.

Julianne

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Alafia Trail Work Day, (Special) Sept 30
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 10:43:15 PM »
This Saturday (September 30th) we will continue our reworking of trails at Alafia.
This mostly will consist of stabilizing problem spots with rock, and improving several drops. This will allow more people to ride more of the trails. What we are doing will benefit everyone who rides here.
Hope you can join us.

Please RSVP to art (at) swampclub.org by Friday so we can have tools, and enough lunch ready.

wes

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Re: Alafia Trail Work Day, (Special) Sept 30
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 01:09:53 PM »
From Wes:

This past Saturday we started our trail improvements at Alafia by putting a layer of rock on selected trails. The rock is being worked into sandy sections to make the turns more solid. On wet spots, the rock is being compacted into the mud to help create a firm base. Both of these are expected to be long term repairs that will minimize future maintenance, and enhance rider experience.

This Saturday is the scheduled workday at Alafia. Trail Boss Art believes that with a strong turnout, we can complete the North Creek extension. This will add a bunch of fun trail to an already popular route. Might want to bring your bike.

We also will continue our trail improvements by resurfacing selected sections that are plagued by sand or mud. We have used the park's quad pulling a trailer, and the Polaris, to reach the trails. We need four people for this.

We have recognized several problem areas that can only be repaired by a minor reroute. What's cool is that the reroute will make the trail even more fun. Fix the trail - increase the fun factor. Now that's a good deal. We need half a dozen people for this.

Want something easy? OK, we can use a few people with bikes to do some trimming.

So there you have it. Pick a project and join the team. We will have tools and lunch.

Please RSVP to Art (at) SWAMPclub.org by Friday afternoon.

See you there...

wes
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:53:51 AM by Forum Manager »

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Alafia Trail Work Day Saturday October 7th 9:00 am
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 06:55:51 PM »
I understand that many riders are going to bring their bikes to Alafia to ride after the trail work day Saturday.  Getting ready for the Ashville trip is one good idea, there are other reasons for bringing your bike too.

Join the trail crew on Saturday at 8:45 am in the Alafia parking lot for a great workday, then ride what you worked on after that.

I think you can let the crew know you are going to be there by sending e-mail to trails (at) SWAMPclub.org.  (Don't forget to format the e-mail address properly)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:54:54 AM by Forum Manager »
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
Re: Alafia Trail Work Day information
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
Ok, Im goina be goin to the trail workday on saturday, hope to see alot of people there.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 08:42:19 PM »
Trail workday is at Boyette though not in Alafia.  Bring your own clippers and oyur bike this time.  All tools are at Tim's house who is going ot San Felasco.  Gruff (Ken Orlando) is running the work day.  Please email him before Friday morning so he would have something for you to eat. 

Offline littlemanbigbike

• First Bike
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:04:15 PM »
What about the gator back work day ???
I think its kinda backwards thinking going on .
Make the downhills easyer and make the climbs harder ???
how is that going to keep noobies off ???? Thats just going to make it harder for ppl with big bikes  ::)Makes no sence to me . ???
It seems that the trail is being changed so it caters to the xc guys that drag brake down everything and just like to climb.  :-\
What ever . YAY  ::)
racking up the air miles

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »
I'm just a worker and not a decision maker but in my opinion the issue is not making the downhills easier but making the trails more maintenance free. The problem that was at Gatorback was the rapid erosion occurring on the downhills which either left the trails closed or too much maintenance to keep them open. If the trail is too rough it allows for more injuries and too many injuries gets the attention of powers that be and the trails can be closed for everybody. Just a thought. Alafia will never have extreme trails because it is a State Park. XC riders sprint the climbs and blast the downhills, not drag brakes. Why drag an extra 10 -15 lbs around on a big hit bike when all that x-tra suspension does is dumb down the trail for the rider. Newbies drag brakes and they are usually the ones to get injured. We all have to make compromises.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:26:47 AM »
Ells is right...

I dont know many XC guys that like to go slow down hills, but yes I love to climb....  so the thing that needs to be addressed is keeping the break draggers off of the more difficult trails...

=Bob  ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline littlemanbigbike

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 11:33:53 PM »
I ride a big bike cause i'm not a yuppie roadie ,that can have 6 bikes for every type of riding . I can't ride a xc rig cause it won't last a day .
racking up the air miles

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 08:30:55 AM »
what type of xc rig wont last a day?

i have had the same hardtail for two and a half years!

and I race on it..  i know plenty of these guys have Ellsworths or Santa Cruz XC bikes that are lasting for quite a while too....

i would say that an xc bike wont last if your doing some freeriding or something like that.. but if your just doing xc riding.. then it should last if you take care of it..

-Bob  :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Advertisement: