Author Topic: Alafia Trail Work Day information  (Read 15271 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Alafia Trail Work Day information
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
300 pounder prob? ;D

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »
LMAO

;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 08:51:06 PM »
So little man nuts... you smoke the downhills? I will bet every XC  "yuppy" I ride with can smoke you up or down with little effort, even on your big bike.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 09:41:10 PM »
sounds like we need to get this guy out on the trails.. i say we take him to reddick...

-bob

still LMAO

;D

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 08:08:54 AM »
Yeah I heard Reddick serves up A mean humble pie! ;)

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 06:42:25 PM »
Yeah I heard Reddick serves up A mean humble pie! ;)

yeppers reddick got me pretty good.  ;)  so i have to go back and i wouldn't mind punishing someone else the way that art punished me up there..

-bob  ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »
Yeah, I heard there is a "Bob" imprint there! LOL

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
yeah like a 1/4 mile from being done..  what a place to fall..  there was just soooo much dead fall on the trail it was very icy..

good reminder of the trails though after being spoiled up in the mountains of north carolina and georgia.  i guess we all have to come back to reality sooner or later..

-bob  ::)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Prophet, Blue
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 11:53:47 PM »
June 2, 2007

Lots of great trail work today:

- More work on the Third Rabbit Ear.  NOT open yet!

- Shoring up of the first drop in on North Creek.  Put in some steps on the downhill filled with broken concrete. This should wear in nicely as things dry out.

- Smoothed out the bottom of the same drop and made the trail sweep better.  Stay more to the left as you go down.

Check it out and let us know what you think?
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »
I rode Northcreek 2 times toady. That downhill is much better, maybe people can stay on the line now instead of creating new ones. Is there any way that we could pack some clay in that root, at least on the uphill side? Would make it alot smoother, those that wanted to jump off it could.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
First time riding in the dirt for 40 days!!! 

When there was no one around , I got off the bike and danced to celebrate!! Woohoo!! It felt good!!And then, it was hard as heck. Man, struggled for 18 miles.

Of course I chose Alafia, and the first trail I hit was North Creek. I've been waiting for rain and it finally arrived to make the trails  nice and sweet for me to ride on! Where did that big root come from? Man, the trails must have been atrocious before the rain and trail maintenance. I liked the work done. My first time through, there was a family going down  as I rode up to the crest. I dunno about that root. For meeee, 6 one, half dozen  the other! The root will slow people down, however  there will be brake damage to the trail before the root and trail damage after the root from people  jumping it,  and others  trying to regain control once they land on the other side. If the root was not there, speed would increase only to have riders brake hard going into the nice sweeping turn. It is what it is. No matter what, there will be Trail consequences. Maybe make the first half of the drop, all the way to the root, with more technical  obstacles, nothing too hard, but a section that would make riders articulate the trail , get past the root and then roll, picking up some speed before going into the corner. Thats the thing with trail building, too many cooks in the kitchen!  A million ways to do it! People are going to ride it no matter what.  My second time through, I hit it faster. The root is not smoothest but its there and part of the trail. Hard not to imagine if it was smoother and  an easy jump. My third time through and it was more second nature. The rest of the trail was nice. There was a face slapper that I removed before you hit the first banked sweeping turn after the pump section.  For meeee, it was good, almost perfect!! A little loose sand on the edges. Nice to be riding again.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Prophet, Blue
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
As to the root half way down the first drop on North Creek.

The land manager, trail master, poobah and trail crew all consulted on rider speed, tree stability, trail tread stability, putting new riders on notice and other things before deciding on the best way to handle this section of trail, especially the root.  The root had it's top adjusted but the root should remain. Although the high side was packed with sand, clay and rock so it should be a smooth lift.

Mountain Bike trails have roots on them and roots are part of the trail.  They are left in the trail by design and should not be removed by anyone except for the Land Managers or Trail boss once the trail is complete.

Unofficially several of us wondered if we could clear that first step below the root if we get a good launch.  While we were doing this a new rider went down the trail with his hand on his front brake.  Yep, he toppled head first but AFTER he cleared the root.

Intermediate trails mean they are harder than easy trails.  Roots contribute to the trail difficulty.  Difficulties in the first few feet of a trail put riders on notice in ways a sign never could.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »
i liked that new section - now who put the trail ninja on the benchcut that kicked me into the swamp?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
I'm not sure where all this removing the root talk came from, as that is not what I was suggesting at all. I guess leaving it the way it is is probably best as it will make people control there speed more. It just sucks because something fun could be made out of that but the rest of the hill would get messed up by people locking their brakes.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »
Bury the root.