Author Topic: Alafia Trail Work Day information  (Read 15271 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Alafia Trail Work Day information
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I see the point. If you bury the root alot of people will get going too fast, lock up the brakes and tear up the bottom of the hill, making it more maintenance. If it was only good riders that don't lock the brakes there are alot of fun things that could be done with that root. But they have to think about the peeps that lock their brakes as a means of stopping EVERYTIME. I have a funny story from this past weekend if anyone is interested.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »
can top side of root be filled in with dirt/clay and then it would be a drop - less experienced riders would slow down

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »
can top side of root be filled in with dirt/clay and then it would be a drop - less experienced riders would slow down

That was my original suggestion, but then too many would get going too fast and lock brakes at the bottom.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 08:39:26 AM »
Okay, mr smitter, go ahead and do your thang... guess what, I still sleep good at night...   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to Kevin for taken time on a rainy/stormy Saturday.  I belive Kevan (sorry if I was told differently) was sort of assigned a crew to go work on that North Creek trail.  I for one think he and crew did an owesome job.  That trail has never look better in that particular section.  So my big KUDOS go out to him and everyone else who worked this Saturday out at Alafia so the rest of us can enjoy it.

Not that you are doing it but it doesn't help much to complain about the root.  The root has been there from day one.  If you never saw it or never rode over it is becuase you and everyone else who didn't, kept going around it, making the trial wider.  Yes, I am guilty at that one.   My point is this, you all have great suggestion and were all noted.  However, OUR suggestions are worth more when you actually are on a work day and there at the particular time the trail is being worked on.  I am not saying you have to give up a bit of your busy schedule, come out on a rainy day, get a shovel and actually get dirty, for your suggestions to be heard.  But it sure helps!!!

Peace....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:42:41 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Prophet, Blue
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »
The team I worked with did the lower half of the trail section, just below the new rock and all the way around the turn. Art and Ken had a team working the top part, the steps.  Craig, the land manager, was also working that section.

When we left the trail the uphill side of the root was filled in with dirt so it looked like you could get a good lift if you hit it right.

If there is no longer clay/dirt on the high side then something may have happened.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 02:50:08 PM »
regardless of that root part...that section is waaaay better.  great job

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
Yeah it is nice!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 06:36:10 PM »
My comments on the root were also not intended to be thought of as a complaint in any way. This was the first time I had been out there in 40 days and it coincided with the it being the day after all the work was done. The trail was in great shape and the root is fine. I was commenting on that any section  of trail anywhere, it  can be manipulated so that the trail manager can  control how the trail is ridden (speed, jumps, brake action...) and also who might even ride the trail by making it easier of harder. For example, the berm  at the bottom of the hill will cut back on the amount of brake damage done to the trail because now riders can carry more speed through the turn.... thats all I was getting a but was too lazy to write it all out.... yada yada yada.   ;D  Trail was in great shape and the rains are making it better.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007, 11:40:02 PM »
Riding obstacles is mtbing, unless otherwise put asphalt on everything, or you can always spend 5 hrs on the weekend working on the trails. As what Ells said "body english", it is all on how you articulate when riding through obstacles.
Ride, Crash and Learn!!!!
Can I get an Amen....

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 06:29:58 AM »
AMEN!!  Certainly done my fair share of all three of those, but it's the only way to get better. ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 01:25:19 AM »
So, what planned for this saturdays workday? Just basic trimming? Should I bring a weedeater, or a Chainsaw? Maybe a lawnmower?
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 08:25:02 AM »
Hey CWG,

Email art (at) swampclub (dot) org to find out if he wants you to bring anything.  The park or club usually provides tools other than basic trimming.

See ya there.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 08:28:30 AM by Stumpjumper »
What was I THINKING !!!!!!