Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Why do I keep getting lost on the blue trail?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline bwatford141

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Trek 4300
Why do I keep getting lost on the blue trail?
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
I've been out to Croom a few times now and have completed the blue loop my past 3 times.  I'm really starting to dig this trail.  I know the sand gets a little rough at times, but I'm out there to work on my endurance and the sand definitely gets that done!  The problem that I'm having is that I always start from parking area #1 and head north, taking the loop counter clockwise and can't ever seem to find the exit off the trail to get back to the parking area.  Instead I end up back on the trail and have been getting off about a half a mile past the "2" that's marked onto the dirt road, then head south to the parking area.  Don't get me wrong, the extra mileage is great, but it's so frustraighting that I can't seem to find out where I'm missing the exit ???

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Why do I keep getting lost on the blue trail?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »
After you have passed the 14 mile bailout (sign says 12 mile now) then you're about 1.5 - 2 miles from Sugar Mountain Loop which is just prior to the Red Connector on the map.  Do not turn right onto that Red Connector and just continue on to stay on the North Blue Trail.  Stay on the North side of Croom Road (don't take the trail that goes across the road) and it will drop you back off to Trailhead #1.  You do bring a map with you, right?  :-)

I've been out to Croom a few times now and have completed the blue loop my past 3 times.  I'm really starting to dig this trail.  I know the sand gets a little rough at times, but I'm out there to work on my endurance and the sand definitely gets that done!  The problem that I'm having is that I always start from parking area #1 and head north, taking the loop counter clockwise and can't ever seem to find the exit off the trail to get back to the parking area.  Instead I end up back on the trail and have been getting off about a half a mile past the "2" that's marked onto the dirt road, then head south to the parking area.  Don't get me wrong, the extra mileage is great, but it's so frustraighting that I can't seem to find out where I'm missing the exit ???

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »
You have to cross croom road to ride the full blue experience.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
True, but once over there - if you don't know your way around - it doesn't connect back to Trailhead #1 which is what he was looking for.

You have to cross croom road to ride the full blue experience.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
Don't think he's lookin for a short cut, I guess he is missing the red connector as he crosses back over croom. Continue east on red till you will once again cross croom road for your final bit of trail to #1

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
Just looking at the newest version of the croom map, the trail that runs parrallel to croom road is no longer red but blue. The section of this trail that bypasses South blue is the lil green bit.

Offline bwatford141

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »
Don't think he's lookin for a short cut, I guess he is missing the red connector as he crosses back over croom. Continue east on red till you will once again cross croom road for your final bit of trail to #1

Yeah, I'm not looking for any short cuts or bail outs.  I'm just trying to figure out why I can't find my way off the blue trail to complete to full 32 mile loop after starting at #1.  It'k kinda like ground hod day, when I find my self doing the loop all over again.  LOL

Offline bwatford141

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:41:24 AM »
I've circled in pink where I can't find the way back to the parking area.  It's like I can't find the right turn that takes me back.  Instead, I'm going left back onto the loop.

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
After you cross the road heading south, turn left (east) on the blue trail and keep straight to the parking area.   Alternatively just turn left (east) on the road and skip the last 0.01 miles of blue trail.   ;)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »
Once you've crossed the road there don't go back across.  Stay headed East for the short distance to parking.

I've circled in pink where I can't find the way back to the parking area.  It's like I can't find the right turn that takes me back.  Instead, I'm going left back onto the loop.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
Sounds like you are missing that last right that takes you across croom road and back to #1. Maybe ride up to that exit on the North side of croom road to familiarize yourself with what it looks like.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »
+1

Sounds like you are missing that last right that takes you across croom road and back to #1. Maybe ride up to that exit on the North side of croom road to familiarize yourself with what it looks like.

Advertisement: