Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 29er for sand?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
29er for sand?
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:48:08 PM »
Hey guys it's been a while. I'm getting back into biking a little at a time I've only road 4 times in the last 10 months, but 3 times this week. I am horribly out of shape ;D .

Anyway back to the post, before getting out of biking I was drooling over 29ers but they were still fairly new. I stopped in to see Leroy at his new store after riding carter last week and noticed almost every new mountain bike in there was 29". He told me he doesn't sell many 26" bikes anymore which is understandable being the obvious benefits of a 29er for our trails here. Before my exit I fixed up my bike to work exactly how I wanted it to and it does the job well, but I'm still dreaming of a 29er.

All that being said my bike gets sucked into the sugar sand pretty bad. So my question is does a 29er move easier through sand? I thought it might because of the bigger contact area. Someone say yes so I can justify the debt on a new bike ;)

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: 29er for sand?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
Idk if I could say that.

BUT good technique can get you through almost any type of sand.

That being said, if you want to get a 29er you should.  I have not been in any riding codition or terrain that I have not found it to be an appropriate and capable bike.

I been off the 26er for almost 4 years, dont regret it for my second.

In fact, my son, who is 11 is now on a 29er and he raves about how fast it is.

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
new 29's can ride on water, they're pretty amazing.   8)

once you go 29 soon afterward you go single speed, then eventually a rigid fork, next thing you know it's like 1979 again. you start hearing Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac jams in your head when you ride, can you dig it man?

Technique in the sand is key, 26 or 29 doesn't make much difference but all the cool 40+ year olds are on 29'ers.

When the truth is found to be lies, and all the joy within you dies....

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
Single speed? rigid fork? don't know about all that, I run a 1x8 setup now and really like it, plus it's nice to be able to upshift for the road back. and who are the bee gees and fleetwood mac?  ;D

I've tried everything I could think of, but I'm a big boy at 230lbs and just sink. Might just have to look into a pugsley ;D

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:36:39 AM »
29er FTW.

Now that I got that out of the way, tire volume and some skillz will help get you through the sand.  Keep the momentum up as well as the cadence and you should motor on through.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:17 AM »
The best way to conquer sand is not about wheel/tire size IMO.. I did notice when I ran 1.95 tires it made it a little easier to cut through, but to me (at 270 lbs) i treat sand like a steep climb, i get momentum and shift into lower gears and keep the rear wheel spinning as much as possible... I also look for the the most compact line to avoid the loosest part of the sand as possible...

Offline aaron1017

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • AAROWN
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
Try not to steer......

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
for me low pressure fat tires... both 26 and 29 and shifting weight back.....

also think the socks help....  ;D
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »
Most times I can make it through small patches ok. but in long deeper rifts I eat it. There are a few at LHP that always seem to get me when it hasn't rained for a while. I've tried shifting my weight back, I lock my arms so the wheel stays straight as possible, and try to power through. No go usually. I'm running 2.3 ignitors and run them as low as I can (some may remember my posts about that). Well I'll most likely start building my 29er soon, maybe the added rotating mass will help me out, but doubt it. Thanks guys.

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »
Weight back is a good way to go, but I try to let the front wheel do its own thing a little bit... Instead of strictly adhering to the line you have chosen, it is better to gently coax your bike in the direction you want to go. I agree with Darrin, I typically attack sand like I would a hill, and imagine myself trying to get on a plane (like boating). I'm 220 riding a 26'er, and I don't have too much trouble in sand. Just like anything else in mountain biking, practice makes perfect!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:32:17 AM »
Don't weight the front. Let it do what it wants to do.

There are two ways to attack sand. Float across the top or cut through. With big tires you pretty much have to float. Pick your line before you get to it then stay loose and light. Let the bike wander under you and use your weight to steer if necessary. But most importantly, keep the cadence up so you're making nice smooth pedal strokes. When your pedaling gets jerky your power output gets jerky as well and you'll bog down.

Advertisement: